Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
An interesting tidbit about Sarah Palin Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your choice of treats for reading
  ~cookie~
  ~muffin~
  ~CHEESECAKE~
  ~gold~
View Results

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 am
Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? […] You've heard about some of these pet projects they really don't make a whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not. ~ Sarah Palin

Response by PZ Myers.................

I am appalled.

This idiot woman, this blind, shortsighted ignoramus, this pretentious clod, mocks basic research and the international research community. You damn well better believe that there is research going on in animal models — what does she expect, that scientists should mutagenize human mothers and chop up baby brains for this work? — and countries like France and Germany and England and Canada and China and India and others are all respected participants in these efforts.

Yes, scientists work on fruit flies. Some of the most powerful tools in genetics and molecular biology are available in fruit flies, and these are animals that are particularly amenable to experimentation. Molecular genetics has revealed that humans share key molecules, the basic developmental toolkit, with all other animals, thanks to our shared evolutionary heritage (something else the wackaloon from Wasilla denies), and that we can use these other organisms to probe the fundamental mechanisms that underlie core processes in the formation of the nervous system — precisely the phenomena Palin claims are so important.

This is where the Republican party has ended up: supporting an ignorant buffoon who believes in the End Times and speaking in tongues while deriding some of the best and most successful strategies for scientific research. In this next election, we've got to choose between the 21st century rationalism and Dark Age inanity. It ought to be an easy choice.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:38 am
gonk eek

yeah problem is there are two types of people in the US: people who recogonize her for what she is, and people who think: "Ooooh Sarah Palins right!! Fruit fly research in France? WTF? I thought my money was for killing them terrorists....."

*shivers* I'm honestly quite frightened that uneducated Americans consist a greater proportion of the population....  

Serendipity Splendor

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:29 am
User Image

I love PZ. His Facebook is currently listed under "PZ Hussein Myers" in support of Obama. XD

User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:09 pm
After I saw a video about this on Youtube I was almost speechless stressed How can anyone in their right mind vote for this lady? Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQkSwifTAMA  

Zambimaru

Zombicide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 pm
One of the teachers in my grade thinks that she would be a good president purely because of that "Barack Obama has terrorist connections" rumor that every Republican likes to whip-out in a debate. To be honest, every time I even hear the words "Sarah Palin" coming out of someone's mouth, the more I want to move out of this country.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:37 pm
haha, I saw the cdk007 video on my subscription list razz
yeah, she's totally weird and doesn't make sense o_O
I wonder if she was ignorant (that's what I think) or if she just willingly lied thinking that the people were ignorant, and that the people would blindly agree with her and go "hehe 'fruit flies' sounds stupid so it must be stupid."  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Elanchana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 pm
Wow... eek

Did this woman ever take a biology class?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 pm
Elanchana
Wow... eek

Did this woman ever take a biology class?
User Image

I think we should show some pity for the poor dumb thing. Going to five different colleges for one simple bachelor's degree must make these sorts of classes seem very confusing. XDD

(kidding, of course, about the pity)

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:23 pm
This is actually quite funny.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 am
On a random sidenote, it warms my heart to see you guys choosing cheesecake. I love cheesecake. heart  

PathlessPlot

Arios V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 pm
Rebo socks rocks
On a random sidenote, it warms my heart to see you guys choosing cheesecake. I love cheesecake. heart

All hail the mighty cheesecake.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30 am
Cheesecake, food of everyone.

But wow, I thought she was a mindless cliched bimbo before reading this. Now... Just wow.  

Zekeachu

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:14 pm
Obama won!

I'm so glad she's wrong.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 pm
What's terrifying about Sarah Palin is that Republicans back her like no tomorrow. She is the new celebrity face of the Republican party.
And the fact that she might be running in 2012 is a pretty scary thought.

cup_noodles

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 pm
cup_noodles
What's terrifying about Sarah Palin is that Republicans back her like no tomorrow. She is the new celebrity face of the Republican party.
And the fact that she might be running in 2012 is a pretty scary thought.

Indeed...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces