Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Prop 8

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What are you sick of?
  Religion (My option!)
  Politics
  School/Work
  Stupid People
  Nothing! :D (Not me...)
View Results

Marukar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm

User Image

Prop 8 is a proposition in California which (sadly) banned gays the right to marry. The Mormons were a huge factor in getting this prop passed. Although they denied directly funding this prop, they did state they encouraged their members to vote yes on 8. And I know there must be other religions which endorsed this prop but I have no information on them.
Is something wrong here??
I thought Church and State were separate...
What are your thoughts?

Oh and this is also the topic of a pretty heated debate I had with my Mormon friend... Even though I don't really think I could be friends with her anymore... She is too religious...
Oh also do you guys have trouble being friends with very religious people?
Because I have been having a lot of trouble with this...D:

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm
How about poll options for "other" or "all of the above"?

Separation of church and state doesn't stop religious people from voting according to their religious beliefs. Votes from religious people count as much as votes from non-religious people, and if there's a religious majority, the results of the voting are going to reflect that.

I've had two friends (previously non-religious) turn seriously religious (in both cases, Christian). gonk

I've had an argument with one of them because of her attempt to convert me. (I've mentioned her in this guild before.) We are still friends, and I think she has learnt better than to bother me with religion. (This friend currently lives in the US, while I live in Australia. I only see her during the December holidays when we both return to Hong Kong. She does realise the importance of making the best of our time together.)

The other friend has also attempted to convert me, but she was only over for a brief visit, and we didn't get into an argument.

Many of my other friends are religious, but they know better than to make a big deal out of it.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 am
I'll be attending a Prop 8 protest rally outside my city's courthouse on Saturday to peacefully protest the passing of Prop 8 and similar laws/bills.

GLBTerrific!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 pm

User Image

Prop 8 is a proposition in California which (sadly) banned gays the right to marry. The Mormons were a huge factor in getting this prop passed. Although they denied directly funding this prop, they did state they encouraged their members to vote yes on 8. And I know there must be other religions which endorsed this prop but I have no information on them.
Is something wrong here??
I thought Church and State were separate...
What are your thoughts?

Oh and this is also the topic of a pretty heated debate I had with my Mormon friend... Even though I don't really think I could be friends with her anymore... She is too religious...
Oh also do you guys have trouble being friends with very religious people?
Because I have been having a lot of trouble with this...D:

User Image

The Mormons were a big proponent of Prop 8, and although they didn't fund the prop directly they still dumped $20,000 dollars in making sure Prop 8 passed. And being in a state right next to California and Utah, it makes me wonder if the Mormon crusade on gay marriage is going to fall on my state next.

My best friend is a Mormon with ultra-uber-conservative ideals, we get into arguments all the time, but we know that we're friends because of our similarities, not our differences. I think the way to go about having a religious friend is to simply not talk about religion. And if there's no avoiding it, acknowledge that you each have different opinions and hear each other out.

cup_noodles

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:32 pm
It is true that there is supposed to be a separation of Church and State. However, there are many people out there who choose to ignore that, including people in the government.

That said, the fact that Prop 8 passed really pisses me off. Bascially people started telling lies about how letting gays marry would endanger children, and stuffs...and due to prop 8 passing, now single people cannot really adopt in Cali....

Seriously, I hate this so much. I expect that that the gays will rise up and defeat the whole thing, and thus restore a little more respect in the human race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:01 pm
I think the reason Prop 8 passed was because the people for it were more organized than those against it.
But luckily, the margin was tiny was it not? 51% to 49%? I'm sure that the gay community in California will definitely bring it down.

cup_noodles

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:15 pm
You know, I still don't have the faintest idea why gay marriage is such a big friggin deal to these people, it's not like it's physically hurting them or making it so they can't live their lives.

I wonder what happened to the "Land of the Free" bit, because to me it seems to be going the way of the dodo....I just don't get it. I hope one day, that we become more tolerant towards others....I hope...

However, I think the funniest bit about these conservatives and religious types who oppose gay marriage probably haven't read the Bible too closely. The Bible only mentions Homosexuality like 3 times in its entirety.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:34 pm
All the Christians that oppose gay marriage usually cite the bible as their reason for being against it.

But they reference the bible, the old testament, the one that their savior basically told them was void and no longer valid.

AND. It's illegal to endorse political candidates and other political mumbo-jumbo in a church, because they're tax exempt and therefore at the mercy of the government.

But because all the Catholics are sleeping with the government I guess it all makes sense~  

[The Looney Bin]

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:27 pm
[The Looney Bin]
All the Christians that oppose gay marriage usually cite the bible as their reason for being against it.

But they reference the bible, the old testament, the one that their savior basically told them was void and no longer valid.

AND. It's illegal to endorse political candidates and other political mumbo-jumbo in a church, because they're tax exempt and therefore at the mercy of the government.

But because all the Catholics are sleeping with the government I guess it all makes sense~

You're right, all the times it's mentioned in the Bible is in the Old Testament and like I said, it's only mentioned 3 times in its entirety...much like abortion, that's only mentioned like a handful of times.

Why they choose to go after trivial stuff like this and not something greater. Then again, they condone most of that stuff...like greed, violence and bigotry.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games