Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I go to a Christian-majority school. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God is omniscient.
  He knew what Satan would do before he created him
  He knew the fallen angels would rebel before he created them
  He knew Eve would eat the apple of sin before he made the tree
  Ain't he "all-good"?
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:59 pm
Yup, I do. It's not a "Christian" school but the majority of the school is Christian. Some have pretty strong Christian beliefs. Anyways, I saw something pretty sad the other day...

Well, there's this one kid I saw outside the locker rooms right after PE class. He's two years younger than me (freshman) and he is an atheist. He is a very anti-social kid; he's pretty much the stereotypical lock-yourself-in-your-room-because-no-one-likes-you type of kid... it's pretty sad. Anyways, he was talking to this one dude and I overheard their conversation. He was talking to this Christian. I heard the Christian go "Atheists are stupid. Evolution doesn't even make sense. Where did we all come from then?" etc.
I heard the atheist kid reply with "atheists aren't stupid" and that's it. Oh and I also heard the Christian kid go "I hate people like that who go against God" =/
Lol I so badly wanted to punch the kid in the face but I juts kindly said "Kid, drop it. 'Judge not, and you shall not be judged', remember?" He didn't do anything to you okay?" and the christian kid just said "but atheists are so stupid" and I just went "Yeah yeah I know you don't like us" and then left because the bell rang and I was walking to Trigonometry o.o
Anyways, it just so happens that the anti-social kid's mom was my french teacher in freshman year in my old school o.O

Have Christians ever showed unnecessary hostility towards you? Discuss.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:31 pm
You live in America?

It'd make sense that a majority of your peers are Christian - whatever that even means anymore - if you live in America because over 3/4 of the population is Christian of some sort.  

Goddess of the Coulee

Goddess of the Coulee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 pm
It bothers me with the whole evolution thing and how it doesn't make sense when people that go against that believe in something they can't even explain... sorta ironic actually.

I don't believe stereotyping is the best route to go (although unavoidable) not all Christians are the same just as Atheists are very diverse... I don't even know that I'd consider myself an atheist to be honest.

I am sure there is no afterlife or any sorta deity... but I still don't feel that I qualify as an atheist... don't ask why.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:18 pm
Goddess of the Coulee
It bothers me with the whole evolution thing and how it doesn't make sense when people that go against that believe in something they can't even explain... sorta ironic actually.

I don't believe stereotyping is the best route to go (although unavoidable) not all Christians are the same just as Atheists are very diverse... I don't even know that I'd consider myself an atheist to be honest.

I am sure there is no afterlife or any sorta deity... but I still don't feel that I qualify as an atheist... don't ask why.

Lol why'd you say so if you didn't want anyone to ask? o.o
Ummm well I'm guilty of stereotyping since I pre-judge a lot but I give people a chance to show that they're not super annoying o.O  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 pm
Goddess of the Coulee

User Image

I'm kind of the same way. I'm pretty sure there aren't any deities and that there's probably no afterlife, but I don't really feel like I fit in as an atheist. I don't fit as a theist either, obviously. I do sort of fit with ietsism (There's a Wikipedia article that gives a decent explanation) - except while this is normally called "agnostic theism" of some sort, I identify as a non-theistic ietsist. Ugh, so complicated trying to label ourselves. XD

Anyway, in reply to Divinity... I don't normally get treated like that directly since I don't tell most people I know in person that I'm an atheist. I do feel that the Christian majority would discriminate against me if I were more open about my atheism. But more than being treated that way directly, I used to be that kind of Christian - railing against evolution when I didn't understand it and insulting atheists for no good reason. Dark times... >.>

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm
Well this my first day in The Atheist Guild of AMERICA!!!

I think im not the atereotypical athiest you see, I insult Christians for their beleifs and they insult me for mines...

I am not anti-social, I am really obnoxious and loud... And that makes me a target for someoen to kick my a**, which luckily my a** has not been beaten yet =/

I actually have been threatened by people who I admitted to them I was one, and I simply say, " Would God tell you to make sin in order to prove something?"...and I ended up being friends with the boy....-_-

Also just to note I am also a Freshmen.... Im Happy Im in The Guild!!!XD  

lalo_989

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:01 am
I'm just wondering... Is it possible that many people don't like being called "atheists" simply because it's pretty much perceived negatively by most people? Is it because too many atheists are stereotypically rude and overly hostile? o.O
It's difficult for me to understand why anyone that DOESN'T believe in God would not consider themself an atheist. sweatdrop
Maybe the term is just a strong term that they'd rather not label themselves with it, even though they don't believe in any sort of deity whatsoever?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:45 pm
Maybe its fear from neglection from religious radicals....I don't know im just saying!  

lalo_989

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:34 pm
I would have totally used some unecessary force on him for being so stupid, but that would be something personal.

Now, before doing that.. I'd just point out that I am turning the other cheek like his God once told us to do and tell him to remember the soooo feared comandments.

I'd also tell him how hypocrite he is by beliving in God and not doing as he said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:06 am
By the way, that poll needs more options ._.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:03 am
D i v i n i t y
I'm just wondering... Is it possible that many people don't like being called "atheists" simply because it's pretty much perceived negatively by most people? Is it because too many atheists are stereotypically rude and overly hostile? o.O
It's difficult for me to understand why anyone that DOESN'T believe in God would not consider themself an atheist. sweatdrop
Maybe the term is just a strong term that they'd rather not label themselves with it, even though they don't believe in any sort of deity whatsoever?

In public I choose to tell people that I "Choose to disassociate with religion". Somehow even though the implication is the same as being atheist, you don't get the response you would get from saying "Well, I'm an atheist."

Sometimes it is better to not use the word in certain situations because of the s**t-storm that will develop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:34 am
Sanguvixen

In public I choose to tell people that I "Choose to disassociate with religion". Somehow even though the implication is the same as being atheist, you don't get the response you would get from saying "Well, I'm an atheist."

Sometimes it is better to not use the word in certain situations because of the s**t-storm that will develop.

I really like that phrase you use. I may have to borrow that from you if I ever have to come out to my grandmother. She loves me to death, but I don't know how she would handle my being an atheist.  

PathlessPlot

Lemon Jally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:44 am
My mother's not even willing to accept what I've become - she's still blaming the internet and "those damn books".

She'll come around eventually. I don't think that she's so in love with being born again that she'd shun her youngest.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Sanguvixen
D i v i n i t y

Oh, but I just looove that s**t-storm <3

'Cept if it comes from my mother, she is such a smart person but sometimes behaves like an intolerant p***k, and so does my dad.

l:<  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Teoka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 am
I just call myself an atheist, unless it's with my boyfriend's family (except the boyfriend, his mom, and his sister). The majority of them don't know, so if they ask, I just tell them I'm not religious. Luckily, that seems to work well User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If they're family, peers, or of a similar group, I just say I'm an atheist. If they decide not to associate with me because I don't believe what they do, that's their loss User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff