Reply Main Forum
You know you're a dancer when.... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BroadwayBaby_Musicnotes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm
thought it might be fun to come up with a list of this... I had a really good one earlier but I can't remember what it was...

1. You know odd words and phrases in French because of dance (Pas, Merde, Chat, Basque, Bouree, Chainee, ect)
2. When somebody says 'Merde' instead of thinking 'they're swearing at me in french' you think 'OMG THANKS!'
3. You know who Giselle, Coppellia, and Odette are, but people are shocked when you aren't so familiar with rock groups as you are with ballet characters (has happened to me before-- lol)
4. You spend most of your time at classes or driving to classes
5. You can show off in gym by doing splits  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 am
6. you've had 'split offs' with people (a girl that one of my other friends in drama was friends with and I had a 'split off' the other day when us drama people were having a break-- we both could do splits so we went to oversplits and saw how many books each of us could do before we didn't reach the ground-- I won...)
7. You impress people by doing fouette turns and pull backs
8. You spend more money on pointe shoes, ballet flats, jazz shoes, or tapshoes than you do on regular every day wear shoes
9. You hate wearing jeans because they don't stretch enough so you can dance (I normally wear gauchos or skirts -- often with leggings, rarely do I ever wear jeans)
10. During a break, when the drama club guys try to do a kickline for fun you show them up by doing it better, then going into a cartwheel directly into a split. (everybody looked at me like O_O then I got some applause for showing up 'the guys'-- of which I actually was supposed to be one in the play... haha, and they were the ones who always teased me before that-- that kinda stopped it because they learned I could show them up as easily as they teased me...)  

BroadwayBaby_Musicnotes

PunkNarumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 pm
11. When people wonder what the heck you're doing at school with the sort of fence thing by where you eat lunch (my best friend and I noticed it was a perfect ballet barre >>)

12. When you start making ballets based off of musicals (Les Mis ballet FTW!)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 am
OMG A LES MIS BALLET! I Wanna be in it! WOOT!!!

okay

13. You know the difference between a barre and a bar and get really mad when people look at you like you're crazy because you said you were at the barre, and they ask how you were there because you're below legal drinking age.  

BroadwayBaby_Musicnotes

PunkNarumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:12 pm
I love you more and more!

14. When you start warming up before a school dance
15. And then at said dance you start with a random Pas de Chat and people look at you like you're retarded
16. When you're super touchy about the spelling/pronunciation of French words (not spelled pa de ja! P-A-S D-E C-H-A-T)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:05 pm
^_^ I know I'm simply very loveable

17. When for a poetry slam you talk your friend into playing her flute, while another friend reads your poem and you do a dance related to it... (impressed everyone beyond all belief, even though most of it was adlibbed-- haha, none of them had ever seen someone do ballet!)
18. When before said poetry slam you do barre warmups and get odd looks from your entire poetry club
19. When you go to a friend's Halloween party and everyone does the cha cha slide, and it gets to the point where it says go down to the floor, you slide into a split and lean forward from there getting the entire party to gasp... haha that was funny
20. When your relatives say that you're too stubborn and not flexible enough, you go back at them and go "I'm more flexible than you are, how much you wanna bet?" and then when they look at you like you're crazy start saying "I can do 2 splits, plus deep oversplits on both of those, can almost do a straddle split, can lift my leg so high that when I hold it as high as I can my chest touches it, and you think you're more flexible than I am?" and then get even weirder looks for a moment before the lightbulb goes on and they all go "YOU KNOW THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!!!!" and start screaming... *headache*  

BroadwayBaby_Musicnotes

ForumStaff_Hikari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:39 pm
21. When you and your best friend who is also in dance stop in the middle of the street while walking to a friends house and start doing a combination, attracting stares from passerby  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 pm
22. When you see an empty hallway and think leap! My favourite biggrin  

Your_Little_Daydream

kittttykay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:14 pm
23. When you subconsciously go up on pointe in your street shoes.
24. You subconsciously do ballet balances (passe, susu, 5th position, 1st position, 2nd position, etc. I'm NOTORIOUS for these).
25. If there's an open way, you WILL do a leap (school hall, field, etc.) --> notorious for this one too *raises hand*
26. You can't stop babbling on and on about dance.
27. You GYM bag is filled with more than 1 pair of leg warmers, 2 pairs of shoes (tap, jazz, pointe, ballet flats, ANYTHING), and an extra pair of tights on hand. Hehe  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm
28. When all school reports are about ballet (if you have an option) For presentations I always bring my pointe shoes

29. When your gym teacher says stretch out what you need to, you do splits while everybody else tries to touch the floor. (Then a girl told me rather rudely that I shouldn't do splits because it's not a "Normal" stretch)

30. When you have to reach something up high you go on pointe even in street shoes... (I'm really short, the dictionaries were up high, I got a lot of stares, not sure why)  

xaniphia4

xX Graceful Movements Xx

Sparkly Fatcat

7,200 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:30 am
30. When you start demonstrating/teaching your classmates some barre exercises during PE.

31. When you start doing a pirouette in your school uniform while in the rain.

32. Whenever your friends notice and say that you walk so light. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:31 pm
33. When people at school and work comment on your posture, and you realize you've been sitting straight as a board for the longest time!

34. When you think Giselle, Clara, and Odette are totally acceptable names for creative writing assignments and such.  

michiko nakano

I_Am_HermoineGranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:10 pm
35. When you can't hang out with friends cause you at dance.
36. When you dance so much you never have a day off all week.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:52 pm
37. When you are doing stretches in P.E., you subconsciously start doing your ballet stretches (and my teacher yelled at me for it! Apparently the stretch I was doing damages your knee or something. I ignored her.)

38. When you fly into a rage whenever people make fun of ballet.  

Holographic Shine

6,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Clambake 200

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:12 pm