Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
End of the World? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

End of Days?
  ZOMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END
  Bullshit
  Ronald Reagan is teh devil!!
  Apple Pie
View Results

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm
So, I've had a couple of religious persons speak to me about the "End of Days"...
Some think it's Dec. 21 2012, for reasons unknown to me. Apparently they think that's the day the world's going to undergo a change of epic proportions.
So GAU, what do you think? Is the world going to end? Is Dec. 21, 2012 a magical date? Are monkeys going fly out of our asses? Or are these people just a bit strange in the head?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 pm

User Image

I don't know... I think it was thought of by one of the ancient Indians too... But I don't know what I think...
I kind of doubt anything will happen, but I heard the poles might switch which doesn't sound good.

Honestly, I think we should be more worried about humans ending the world, then some prophecy.
: /

User Image

Marukar

Goddess of the Coulee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:51 am
many generations have thought they were the last.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:46 pm
In a way, yes the world as we know it will end eventually. That could mean that our planet would be destroyed by some cataclysmic event, or maybe we just leave the planet and in that way it ends and begins elsewhere.

However it is more likely that we will bring about our own end.

As per people who use religion to base end of the world things on there is something funny about those things. They tend to end with the world staying around, but the religion or group going bye bye.

Sanguvixen

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 pm
Yes, indeed! Many generations thought they were the last ones.

Religion doesn't really help me take things seriously, since all it has done is to serve as a huge source of drama for the world.

As for me, I belive the world will end in a cataclysmic event, chyeah, like... our sun went KABOOM one day taking us with it or leaving us to freeze our asses to death, or maybe the sun shall one day devour the planets one by one, one after another... sloooowly.

These aren't really my theories... but damn, thinking about ending like that is sure creepy D:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Egyptians had set the date at 2014.
Aztecs (or Mayans was it?) Had the end of the world at 2012.
Nostradamus says 2012 too.

That's 3 continents getting the same date. On different timetables (i don't think there was really any communication between aztecs and egyptians prior to the colonization of america. That's IF there was any EGYPTIAN slaves that were traded all the way to america. I've read some books about it about 5 years ago.

Then, i hear that yes. The earth might soon change it's poles (specifics escape me at the moment). And by soon... i even think i did hear a scientist approximating the date at 2015. Don't know if he was a christian scientist.

Then... when i watched the movie The End of Suburbia a few years back, i predicted the world as we know it was gonna change radically in about 10 years. So far we're headed on that direction. And i still have 6 years for my "prophecy" to come true. America is all the rage with it's oil crisis. But s**t... the REST OF THE WORLD is trying to break their heads about the POTABLE WATER crisis that's to come.

Religious dates always come and go, but i didn't read any of those in the books i was talking about. These were cultures at different times in history, different perspectives, and reached the same conclusions through ASTRONOMY-c references. I sure as hell hope they were all wrong.

Then again... i lol when i think that. Same s**t happened when some crazy christians were spreading the end of the world virus in 1999.You catch the virus and can't stop wondering "what if"? Hahahaha. Good times, good times.  

AnonymouZ

Elanchana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm
Hmm... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

I didn't think the world as we know it would come to an end anytime soon until I watched Day After Tomorrow... which scared the crap out of me.

Of course, if we're talking about the sun exploding or that kind of thing, we have nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 pm
User Image

The Mayan calendar ends on December 21, 2012, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the world is ending - just that a change will take place. Nostradamus predicted a comet coming in 2012 if I remember correctly. Other cultures have predicted an alignment with the center of the galaxy on 2012, which really doesn't hold much water, apocalyptically speaking, since technically we will appear to be aligned with the center of the galaxy for many years before and after 2012 due to the slow movement of the planets.

Abrahamic religions use world events to predict the last days of the earth, but honestly, the wars and such that they speak of have been going on since the dawn of humanity, and if stock is to be put in those scriptures, then 2012 can't be the time for the apocalypse since Jesus said it would come as a thief in the night, not as a big deal that everyone knows about beforehand.

I'm not too worried about it, but I do love to read and watch documentaries about apocalypse scenarios. It's fascinating, entertaining, and come on... we have to die sometime anyway right? XD

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm
rolleyes Sure it'll end....

Still, the fact that two seperate calendars came up with roughly the same date is a little...odd. It doesn't have to mean the world will end, many people believe that the current way the world is will end, in other words, there will be a huge change, so ending the world we know today.

People have thought of these "end of the world" scenarios before. Some time in the mid 18th century this religious leader said the world would end, the time came, nothing happened. He then "re-calculated" the date and it ended up being a little while later, and still, nothing happened.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:41 am
I forget his name, but he was german and said 1831, correct?

But anyway, the christians, in rev. said the world would end a few years after the book was written, 68ad-ish. Didn't happen. That has been recalculated and reinterpreted many times: The romans in the 400's thought the events in rev. were happening then, all the protestant groups thought it was going to happen in their lifetime...

About the Mayan calender, I think it is actually said 'the world will end here.'

Not that I believe it. Unless some awesome aliens came and told them when they would take over/destroy/whatever the planet I really doubt the time given will be accurate except by coincidence (like a nuclear exchange or somehting) But even then, it would take a lot to kill all people and even more to kill all life.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 pm
Seems to me that this happens often.
Just another fad going around. Until it happens, there will be articles, TV specials, you name it, all around the subject.
Then it doesn't come true and it fades quietly away.

Somewhat of reminds me of the Y2K bug, I believe it was? I was a little young at the time, but similar sort of deal going on there.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:29 pm
Didn't expect it to happen then, though I was wishing with all of my thirteen year old heart that it would. Why? Dunno. I was thirteen.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:45 pm
User Image

So, um, why are Christians paying attention to the evil heathen Mayan calendar again?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 am
If Jesus, then aliens  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 am
2012 is just the day the Mayan lunar calendar stops and the supposed end of the world by Nostradomus.

Whoever believes in the "2012 Worlds gonna end" bullshit is, in all senses, full blown retarded. The kind of people who believe in this are the same kind of people who believed the world would end on 6/6/06. There will be nothing but over exaggerated paranoia on the streets and, when December 21 2012 comes, I'd suggest you stay inside and lock all doors. At the more there'd be plenty of riots, looting and gun fire; not to mention powerful religous leaders who fear for their lives (and are armed with certain dirty booooombs).

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff