Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Contradictions, Contradictions Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your politcal party?
  Democratic
  Republican
  Independent
  Don't give a damn. xD
View Results

Marukar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:09 pm

User Image

So in my math class there is a really outspoken Christian. And one day I overheard in speaking with one if his friends about how pissed he was at his girlfriend about how she wouldn't have sex with her... And this was a really long story about, how instead of having sex they both got high. Is this strange for a Christian to be doing?

I know I shouldn't be surprised... But still, I am and it really bothers me how much they contradict themselves.

What are your thoughts? Anyone have similar stories??

And my poll is kind of random, I have just been curious.
;D

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 am
I do not know if being christian and then doing drugs is so much of a contradiction.

I do know that being christian does not make people perfect for people will make the same mistakes, and follow bad habits regardless of what they believe in.

One of my friends is christian but he tends to sometimes get drunk stupid....not with me and the others but when he is off with his girlfriend who is a hypochondriac.

Sanguvixen

Lemon Jally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:54 am
Jesus Christ, I see this everyday.
Most of the kids my age are only Christians on Sunday - or when they meet an atheist. Then those druggie fornicating gangbangers like to get self-righteous and talk about how I'm the one going to hell.

rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm
Oh, I don't know how things are in the USA, but down here in Mexico, religious couples (most of them, the GREAT majority) don't give a damn, all they tell to each other is "Do you have a condom with you like right now?", or well, the careful ones do ._.

Chyeah~

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 pm
You expect them to be perfect simply because they paricipate in organized religion?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:26 pm
KuroFur
You expect them to be perfect simply because they paricipate in organized religion?

User Image

Haha, no.
Its just I just don't understand how they could be so religious and then break their laws, and now believe the are going to hell... Or at least that's what I think they would believe.

I don't know, I just wish I could see what goes on in the minds of the religious.
>.<

User Image

Marukar

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 am
Let me shed some light here. One of the aspects of being christian is trying to near God's perfection, to be like him as best as we humanly can. But religiously speaking, all us Christians will do things that go against what the bible teaches because we naturally do so because of the temptation of Satan and sin.

This is where the phrase, temptations of the flesh, comes from. It's basically the same thing. But are you really so surprised? And keep in mind here, I'm not trying to sound stereotypical or male bashing what so ever, but he's a guy at a young age and most guys at that age basically only want one thing. *shrugs*

But because of temptation of sin and Satan, we're capable of basically doing anything that goes against our teaching. But some christians are more easy going than others. They're not as radical or conformist or they basically just don't care. I for one am one. I've gotten drunk, I've smoked pot and done this and that, that are acts of sin. Basically anything that "causes your foot to stumble" is a sin. But I know I'm not going to hell because I did such things. Technically as the bible says, we all deserve hell, but due to predestination, some are chosen for hell and some for heaven.

Those doomed to Hell, it doesn't matter what they do, they're going to Hell anyway. Those chosen for Heaven, also doesn't matter what they do because they're going to Heaven anyway.

Catholics believe that by doing "good deeds" alone will get you to Heaven. But that's not true. Its a false belief and false teaching and there's nothing in a correctly translated bible that says as such. It is not in our power to spiritually save ourselves. However, it DOES matter what you do on earth because well, karma for lack of better words. Everything has a consequence and if you do stupid things, stupid things are going to happen to you so its not like you can like go out and murder someone and not get away with it. You go to jail. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 pm
SaintChaos
Let me shed some light here. One of the aspects of being christian is trying to near God's perfection, to be like him as best as we humanly can. But religiously speaking, all us Christians will do things that go against what the bible teaches because we naturally do so because of the temptation of Satan and sin.

This is where the phrase, temptations of the flesh, comes from. It's basically the same thing. But are you really so surprised? And keep in mind here, I'm not trying to sound stereotypical or male bashing what so ever, but he's a guy at a young age and most guys at that age basically only want one thing. *shrugs*

But because of temptation of sin and Satan, we're capable of basically doing anything that goes against our teaching. But some christians are more easy going than others. They're not as radical or conformist or they basically just don't care. I for one am one. I've gotten drunk, I've smoked pot and done this and that, that are acts of sin. Basically anything that "causes your foot to stumble" is a sin. But I know I'm not going to hell because I did such things. Technically as the bible says, we all deserve hell, but due to predestination, some are chosen for hell and some for heaven.

Those doomed to Hell, it doesn't matter what they do, they're going to Hell anyway. Those chosen for Heaven, also doesn't matter what they do because they're going to Heaven anyway.

Catholics believe that by doing "good deeds" alone will get you to Heaven. But that's not true. Its a false belief and false teaching and there's nothing in a correctly translated bible that says as such. It is not in our power to spiritually save ourselves. However, it DOES matter what you do on earth because well, karma for lack of better words. Everything has a consequence and if you do stupid things, stupid things are going to happen to you so its not like you can like go out and murder someone and not get away with it. You go to jail. *shrugs*

Wait.. what?
Lol I know I might be going off-topic a bit here but you believe in "predestination"? So you believe that some are chosen to go to heaven and some are simpyl chosen to go to hell? Is that correct?
I can kill as many people as I want tomorrow and it won't matter? If I was destined to go to hell already then I'm going to hell anyways, right? If I were destined for heaven then I get to go there anyways? I know you said "karma" but does it really matter? Does what happen on this little planet really matter? I mean life is short compared to an eternal afterlife; it's no biggie if I die now then spend eternity whereever I'm supposed to spend it.
Please address any miconceptions I might have about what you said. =/  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:11 pm
D i v i n i t y
SaintChaos

Wait.. what?
Lol I know I might be going off-topic a bit here but you believe in "predestination"? So you believe that some are chosen to go to heaven and some are simpyl chosen to go to hell? Is that correct?
I can kill as many people as I want tomorrow and it won't matter? If I was destined to go to hell already then I'm going to hell anyways, right? If I were destined for heaven then I get to go there anyways? I know you said "karma" but does it really matter? Does what happen on this little planet really matter? I mean life is short compared to an eternal afterlife; it's no biggie if I die now then spend eternity whereever I'm supposed to spend it.

Predestination is one of the most controversial subjects in the bible amongst Christians, mainly due to the fact that 1) most Christians believe in free will, which is something we DONT have and 2) there are over 40 versions of the bible, most of which are mistranslated, transliterated, or both. The one I read is the NASB which is deemed one of the most accurate, word for word, from the original Latin, Greek, and Hebrew/Aramaic texts of the bible. And there is verse after verse stating how we can't spiritually redeem ourself.

Don't get the wrong idea here though. I mean we have "A" will. Its just not entirely free. I like to call it a limited will because we DO have choices we make on our own, just not all of them, and spiritual redemption is definitely not one of those. So as a long winded version to answer your question...

Yes...you can kill as many people as you want because if you're destined for Hell, doesn't matter what you do. But here's the kicker. I'd have to do heavy look up on the exact verses, but there are verses in the bible that "hint" at Heaven AND Hell having different "levels" in dimension. And depending on the things you do on earth, whatever your predestination may be, will determine what level you'll be placed in, in Heaven or Hell. But it doesn't give details on what those levels are, what they mean, and how it'll affect each individual.

From a religious standpoint, if you're destined for Heaven, technically you could kill as many people as you want, but not only will there be earthly consequences by mankind (going to jail and what have you) but it damages your relationship with God and how he deals with you. It's sorta complicated, but that's the short end version of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:35 pm
Marukar
KuroFur

User Image

Haha, no.
Its just I just don't understand how they could be so religious and then break their laws, and now believe the are going to hell... Or at least that's what I think they would believe.

I don't know, I just wish I could see what goes on in the minds of the religious.
>.<

User Image

I don't quite see what the big deal is.
So he (or was it a girl?)broke a religious law by what was it, getting high?

Christianity preaches forgiveness.

You speak of the "religious" as though they are some kind of species different than us.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 pm
SaintChaos
D i v i n i t y
SaintChaos

Wait.. what?

Predestination is one of the most controversial subjects in the bible amongst Christians, mainly due to the fact that 1) most Christians believe in free will, which is something we DONT have and 2) there are over 40 versions of the bible, most of which are mistranslated, transliterated, or both. The one I read is the NASB which is deemed one of the most accurate, word for word, from the original Latin, Greek, and Hebrew/Aramaic texts of the bible. And there is verse after verse stating how we can't spiritually redeem ourself.

Don't get the wrong idea here though. I mean we have "A" will. Its just not entirely free. I like to call it a limited will because we DO have choices we make on our own, just not all of them, and spiritual redemption is definitely not one of those. So as a long winded version to answer your question...

Yes...you can kill as many people as you want because if you're destined for Hell, doesn't matter what you do. But here's the kicker. I'd have to do heavy look up on the exact verses, but there are verses in the bible that "hint" at Heaven AND Hell having different "levels" in dimension. And depending on the things you do on earth, whatever your predestination may be, will determine what level you'll be placed in, in Heaven or Hell. But it doesn't give details on what those levels are, what they mean, and how it'll affect each individual.

From a religious standpoint, if you're destined for Heaven, technically you could kill as many people as you want, but not only will there be earthly consequences by mankind (going to jail and what have you) but it damages your relationship with God and how he deals with you. It's sorta complicated, but that's the short end version of it.

Lol o.O
So there are different "levels" of heaven and hell? I'm just guessing here and correct me if I'm wrong but I'd assume that the worst level of heaven would be better than the best level of hell right?
IF SO, then does it strike you at all odd that one person would be able to go to heaven and one would go to hell even though they both commit euqally sinful acts (murder tons and tons of people then committing suicide). Well, even if someone didn't kill themself, I don't think consquences by mankind would even have any meaning compared to God's eternal punishment (hell). o.O  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:41 pm
D i v i n i t y
SaintChaos
D i v i n i t y
SaintChaos

Wait.. what?

Lol o.O
So there are different "levels" of heaven and hell? I'm just guessing here and correct me if I'm wrong but I'd assume that the worst level of heaven would be better than the best level of hell right?
IF SO, then does it strike you at all odd that one person would be able to go to heaven and one would go to hell even though they both commit euqally sinful acts (murder tons and tons of people then committing suicide). Well, even if someone didn't kill themself, I don't think consquences by mankind would even have any meaning compared to God's eternal punishment (hell). o.O

It hints at heaven and hell having different levels but it doesnt speak of what the differences are between each levels. but in short....doesnt matter what level of heaven your placed in, it'll always be better than hell lol

there are verses that speak of why things are the way they are (predestination and all) but it doesnt go into heavy detail. religiously speaking here, i dont think, on a mental level, we could comprehend the way god has things set and how HE sees things.

but to answer your question yes, it does bug to me to an extent that two people commiting the same crimes, one in hell, and the other ending up in heaven. *shrugs*  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:22 am
SaintChaos

Woah, woah! How come that is a lie? How is someone destinated go to what place? That sounds so unfair coming from God l:  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm
[-Erik-]
SaintChaos

Woah, woah! How come that is a lie? How is someone destinated go to what place? That sounds so unfair coming from God l:

lol unfair? whats unfair is the suck a** justice system in california. THATS whats unfair hahah but no, the way i see it, and to go along with a verse that is based on this very thing, "...what is the clay to say to the potter?" when a man creates something, isn't it of his right to do what he wants with it? course yeah thats a double edge sword, but we're only trying to see things from OUR point of view. we're not god. we can't see into the thoughts and minds of those around us and what their TRUE intentions are.

for instance....i hear never ending stories of how people who lived next door to a murderer or rapist and claimed how nice of a person they were. until one day, boom, that person is in jail for their crimes. so in other words, we don't know the true intentions of each person or what they're really like. and god is all knowing, so he knows what people would do, if they were given salvation or not. that's the best way i can explain things and thats about as deep as the bible goes on the issue on how god has things set.

so is it really our place to question? i think we definitely have a right to, but on a personal level I try not to because it really isn't my place. for all the things he's done for me and given to me in my life....i wouldn't dare step that line. at least i try my best not to. but everything has a purpose and verses state as such. especially one in particular: NASB Proverbs 16:4 (lord made all for its purpose, even evil for day of evil) and Romans 9:22-23 (god…endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and he did so…to show his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory)

There are other verses too as well. I'll post them if you wish, but that's about as best as I can explain everything.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:15 pm
SaintChaos
[-Erik-]
SaintChaos

lol unfair? whats unfair is the suck a** justice system in california. THATS whats unfair hahah but no, the way i see it, and to go along with a verse that is based on this very thing, "...what is the clay to say to the potter?" when a man creates something, isn't it of his right to do what he wants with it? course yeah thats a double edge sword, but we're only trying to see things from OUR point of view. we're not god. we can't see into the thoughts and minds of those around us and what their TRUE intentions are.

for instance....i hear never ending stories of how people who lived next door to a murderer or rapist and claimed how nice of a person they were. until one day, boom, that person is in jail for their crimes. so in other words, we don't know the true intentions of each person or what they're really like. and god is all knowing, so he knows what people would do, if they were given salvation or not. that's the best way i can explain things and thats about as deep as the bible goes on the issue on how god has things set.

so is it really our place to question? i think we definitely have a right to, but on a personal level I try not to because it really isn't my place. for all the things he's done for me and given to me in my life....i wouldn't dare step that line. at least i try my best not to. but everything has a purpose and verses state as such. especially one in particular: NASB Proverbs 16:4 (lord made all for its purpose, even evil for day of evil) and Romans 9:22-23 (god…endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and he did so…to show his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory)

There are other verses too as well. I'll post them if you wish, but that's about as best as I can explain everything.

"What is the clay to say to the potter?"
You really think that if a man creates something then he can do anyhting he wants with it? So if humans managed to one day create robots that could function like humans, had pain receptors and could feel emotions just as well as any normal human could... you think that it's RIGHT and FAIR for us to be able to "do whatever we want" with it? So it's fair to torture that thing as much as we want?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff