Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So As Far As I Know America Is A Christian Nation (Help Me)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dsfsa
  dsafa
View Results

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:54 pm
So I was doing some research for my US History report.
And I came across this:
“in their Declaration of Independence, [they did] say that men were ‘endowed by their Creator’”(First Christian Fellowship of Eternal Sovereignty).

Anyone have a rebuddle to this that wouldn't hurt the thesis that the Founding Fathers were Atheists/Secularists? (I'm pretty sure they weren't Atheists but I don't wanna harm the idea because it supports my thesis).  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:15 pm
People can be paranoid about this since the dollar itself says "In God we trust".

I remember some idiotic a*****e once published an article on some newspaper telling all atheists off the country including this fact. What a bible-kissing maggot D:

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm
In all actuality, some of the founding fathers where christians, but the majority were deists (i.e. Jefferson). I'm pretty sure none of them where atheists.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 pm
Jewpanesey
In all actuality, some of the founding fathers where christians, but the majority were deists (i.e. Jefferson). I'm pretty sure none of them where atheists.
Oh I know.
But my US History teacher wants the paper to be as biased as possible while still using reliable sources for information. So whatever I can make seem true by using reliable sources is true mrgreen .  

[The Looney Bin]

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:56 pm
[The Looney Bin]
Jewpanesey
Oh I know.
But my US History teacher wants the paper to be as biased as possible while still using reliable sources for information. So whatever I can make seem true by using reliable sources is true mrgreen .

Ah, so you're exploring the world of bull s**t. Sounds fun. Ummmmm I really have no idea how to help you, other than suggesting that you take quotes out of context? Maybe when I'm sober tomorrow I'll have a better idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 pm
Jewpanesey
[The Looney Bin]
Jewpanesey
Oh I know.

Ah, so you're exploring the world of bull s**t. Sounds fun. Ummmmm I really have no idea how to help you, other than suggesting that you take quotes out of context? Maybe when I'm sober tomorrow I'll have a better idea.
Yeahhh.
I've been doing that.
And yeah.
Being sober always helps with thinking~  

[The Looney Bin]

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:01 pm
Jewpanesey

Yeah that's good. Since from what I understand... you have to bullshit it to make it support your thesis? o.o
Uhh... Say that many peopel believe it's a Christian nation, but it's not true because most the founding fathers were not Christian and believe in freedom from religion for all. Also, you could argue that many of the foundeding fathers were only deists because there were too many problems with atheism since they didn't have answers to bilogical diversity, and they didn't have enough of an understanding of everything as we do now. It's often argued that many of the deistic founding fathers would be atheistic if they were alive in modern day. Also, it's not a Christian nation because many actually moved to this country to avoid religious religious persecution and escape it. It's only a Christian nation if you mean that America has more Christians than any other religion.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:24 pm
D i v i n i t y
Jewpanesey

Yeah that's good. Since from what I understand... you have to bullshit it to make it support your thesis? o.o
Uhh... Say that many peopel believe it's a Christian nation, but it's not true because most the founding fathers were not Christian and believe in freedom from religion for all. Also, you could argue that many of the foundeding fathers were only deists because there were too many problems with atheism since they didn't have answers to bilogical diversity, and they didn't have enough of an understanding of everything as we do now. It's often argued that many of the deistic founding fathers would be atheistic if they were alive in modern day. Also, it's not a Christian nation because many actually moved to this country to avoid religious religious persecution and escape it. It's only a Christian nation if you mean that America has more Christians than any other religion.
Yeahhh~
I guess the idea that I have to bs to prove my thesis isn't quite true.
My thesis says that the founding fathers may have been atheists~
I do actually have some evidence to support it.  

[The Looney Bin]

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 pm
[The Looney Bin]
D i v i n i t y
Jewpanesey

Yeahhh~
I guess the idea that I have to bs to prove my thesis isn't quite true.
My thesis says that the founding fathers may have been atheists~
I do actually have some evidence to support it.

You can argue it like this.

You can argue that they may have been atheists...but would have called themselves deists because at the time calling yourself an atheist, or holding those kinds of views was literally political suicide, and a death sentence waiting to happen.

So argue for the idea that even if they atheist they would have had to say they are deist...and bring up stuff about the views at the time, or anything you can come up with to show how dangerous claiming to be atheist would have been for the founding fathers.

Also see if you can find sources on the letters of Thomas Jefferson...because there is much insight into his way of thinking in those letters between himself and his son.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games