Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing: Prose
Joint writing? story with 2 authors? opinions PLZ!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AmenthystMoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 pm
i've been writing a story with a friend of mine the past few weeks and wanted opinions on joint writing projects. any experience or stories about it, how such stories end, patterns, whatever just post whatever random stuff u want pertaining to works with multiple authors and the benefits (or hazards) of such endeavors

situation: my friend is a computer wiz, but not a geek. he's smart and tends to be evil on accasion. i was teasing him abt it "evil little boy" and i began a story in my head about it, but i got a writers block very soon into it and i turned to said friend for help and it evolved into a story where we'd take turns writing a pge or so and feeding off the others ideas. it turned into a story about a smart kid who has grudge against his school for a petty reason and he decies to take revenge by wrecking homecoming.

we've hada lot of fun with it, and it's became joke about the main charcter being "our son" and it's turned out to be this crazy experience that i wouldn't trade for anything

so yea u know the basic concept, and how it works (at least in the situation i'm in) and now i want to hear from u  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:30 pm
For your idea specifically, I can't really say much from just the concept. I'd have to see a sample of the writing to really give you suggestions.

For joint writing projects in general, I've had a couple of attempted experiences. We'd get pretty far on a plot, but we'd never actually end up writing much, but it was really fun.  

penandpaper67
Captain

AmenthystMoon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 am
thats really it, we've just been doing this for fun and it's a great way to move past writers block. if u can't think of anything, pass it on. it gives u somethig to talk abt too  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:58 am
This is what my friends do... a lot.

A friend of mine starts with it, writes, then passes it to another friend... so on and so forth. There's four of us, including me.

With this type of writing... it seems like it never ends... especially since we don't have a plot. It looks like you do, but you don't seem to have an ending, so the story could go on forever. lol

The last story my friends and I wrote ended up being 200 and some pages long... and there really wasn't an ending. xD

It's fun though!  

Collote
Crew

chickie94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm
My friend and I have been thinking about writing a book together, most of the characters are based on people we know so we got in an argument and stopped writing, we disagreed about who our characters should fall in love with, we both wanted the same guy, so we decided to stop arguing and give up, we're still best friends, but we are never going to try that again!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm
chickie94
My friend and I have been thinking about writing a book together, most of the characters are based on people we know so we got in an argument and stopped writing, we disagreed about who our characters should fall in love with, we both wanted the same guy, so we decided to stop arguing and give up, we're still best friends, but we are never going to try that again!

thx for the warning, we've been keeping the characters very loosely based off ppl we know, mosly just one trait that inspires a character, then escalates into something completely insane. by this point the characters are completely fictional but almost real in the sense that we "know" them. it's actually been great for our friendship, we've nvr been so close and quite honestly, these characters have become our friends, so we'll have conversations with 2 ppl that everyone else hears and 3 or 4 ppl that only we can hear. sounds nuts but it's so much fun!

there's a book
"sorcery and cecelia, or the enchanted chocolate pot" that gave me the original joint writing idea. i'd highly recommend it to anybody and everybody  

AmenthystMoon

Phriya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 am
I did that before. It was with a friend I used to RP with. We got pretty far into the story but I think like most, just just got tired of it.

It was neat though, we each made up a character and went from there. He even drew some of it out. smile Now he is getting married and has a kid... yeah probably not going to be finished.

User Image

Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff