Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
THE WAR ON XMAS!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:59 am
So personally, as far as I know.
I agree with the right one this one.
If the law is mandating that kids not sing silent night in schools then I'm pretty sure that that's ridiculous.

Although I'll all for sucking god and jesus out of Xmas, since it's really great for pushing the market out of the red, and presents are pretty gosh darn great.

So.
Your thoughts on the war on Xmas~
And.
Mind explaining it a little better?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:58 am
War on X-mas?

That concept is new to me.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Belthasar727

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 pm
I can't stand either side of the debate. The religious right is accusing the left of trying to take god out of the holiday... like that's a bad thing, and the left complains Christmas has turned into a commercial holiday... like that's a bad thing.

We'll all be better off with a godless, capitalist Christmas.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:24 am
When was the last time you heard God mentioned in a christmas commercial?
I've heard that a Charlie Brown Chrismas is the only tv thing to ever mention the "true meaning of christmas".  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 pm
Belthasar727
I can't stand either side of the debate. The religious right is accusing the left of trying to take god out of the holiday... like that's a bad thing, and the left complains Christmas has turned into a commercial holiday... like that's a bad thing.

We'll all be better off with a godless, capitalist Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:00 am
This is no war on Christmas. There is only a war for people to recognize that Christians are not the only ones who celebrate a holiday around this time of year, and to stop places from crossing the separation of church and state. Also, to get people to understand, you don't have to be religious in order to be a good person.

In any case don't mind me. I'm still peeved that I went to the mall, and while some christian group shoved a piece of candy and a well wishing card into my mother's hands, they shoved a piece of candy and a religious "How tell tell if you are a good person card" in mine.

I don't bake over 8 batches of cookies from scratch to give out to people because I have some god telling me I need to be good and give what I can to others. I do it because I can, and people appreciate it. That alone, their appreciation is enough of a gift to me. I don't need anything else.

Personally I'm tired of this. It's not even Halloween and some places are putting up Christmas stuff. Thanksgiving has not even passed and they start blasting Christmas music. But the only side that really is giving is the stores who slash things 50, 60, 70 percent off to get what they can while they are hurting.

What do the customers do? They trample someone to death to get in on the deals, kill each other over petty little arguments in toy stores, and they make driving a living nightmare.

Meanwhile these Christians, pretend, that the holiday is about their Christ. They fein ignorance to it's pagan traditions and roots, and ignore that their holiday has nothing to do with religion anymore. The songs they so cherish on the radio tend to be more secular than anything else. They want to b***h and whine to people who dare say "Happy Holidays", and b***h and whine to people like me who are Atheist saying that we should have no part of the holiday. It's like, b***h, December does not belong to you, or anyone else. It's fair game for anyone who dares to show the goodness of their hearts just because they can. I baked cookies and gave them out to friends and family, I helped a Wal-mart worker bring in the carts since I was getting one for my mother and other things, and all the money that my Christian family gave me, went right into buying functional gifts for other people. For me, this time has been completely selfless. What did you assholes do? Maybe if more of you worked at soup kitchens for the poor, gave charity for goodness only, and didn't b***h and whine every time mommy and daddy didn't get you the right thing...I might be more willing to listen to the "Christmas is about christ" thing that so many have going on.

Anyway, rant ended.

Sanguvixen

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:40 am
Lol. Christmas is losing it's "true meaning." The religious aspect of Christmas is dying and will eventually die out completely. My church seems to focus more on Santa Claus than Jesus Christ Lol... Well, all the little kids love Santa Claus. Who wants to celebrate the birth of Christ when they can get a bunch of presents from some fat old man? As you can see, the latter is so much more appealing :]  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:04 pm
The "True Meaning" of Xmas is to celebrate the evergreen due to it being the only plant to survive the brutal norse winters, originated by the norsemen (dates back before jesus....THANKS HISTORY CHANNEL). It wasn't until later the christians of the VERY VERY early middle ages decided to set a date on Jesus's birthday because people began to question the day he was born (which was...actually sometime in spring).

Then Sinter Klaus (Pope St. Nicholaus pronounced by the Dutch) reared his head and gave toys to kids who were good. Those who were naughty got a taste of coal. Eventually The dutch's name was spread and finally got mixed up in translation as "Santa Clause". Truly this holiday didn't start with Jesus but was popularized by it.

Now it's being popularized with gifts and shiny lights...HELL YEAH I say, about time we take this holiday back to partying and evergreens!

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100

Skyler Crouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 am
I find Christmas to be rather depressing. It's supposed to be a time of good will but usually what comes out of it is just unnecessary stress. All that waste packaging and food, the irritating Christmas pop songs, the trees that have to be cut down each year... It's the biggest middle finger to the Third World ever. 'We're so decadent that we can spend lavish amounts of money on gifts once a year and pretend that we're being kind and giving! Let's eat ourselves silly!' Yeah, getting presents and chocolate is nice, but seriously, sometimes all I want is just a hug or a smile, or to see my relatives again. There doesn't need to be a religious or cultural undertone to be capable of these things. So a humbug to Christmas.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:31 am
Skyler Crouse
I find Christmas to be rather depressing. It's supposed to be a time of good will but usually what comes out of it is just unnecessary stress. All that waste packaging and food, the irritating Christmas pop songs, the trees that have to be cut down each year... It's the biggest middle finger to the Third World ever. 'We're so decadent that we can spend lavish amounts of money on gifts once a year and pretend that we're being kind and giving! Let's eat ourselves silly!' Yeah, getting presents and chocolate is nice, but seriously, sometimes all I want is just a hug or a smile, or to see my relatives again. There doesn't need to be a religious or cultural undertone to be capable of these things. So a humbug to Christmas.
User Image

Yeah, many people are very wasteful around the holidays... my family has always been very good about eating up all of the holiday leftovers, and for the past few years all of us have used fake trees so that we don't have to get new ones every year. We do indulge in the wrapping paper... but hell, it's only one day of the year so I don't think it's too terrible. razz

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items