Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Headhunter
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:13 pm
Oh yes, there will be a rant.

For the past days at work I've been working the overnight shift at my job to earn some extra cash to further fund my criminal activities and continue to evade that b*****d, James Bond. With working a shift I don't normally work came working with people I've never even seen before, never mind not normally working with. Now, I quickly learned that the favorite activity among these folks is one that many Americans share: Celebrity Gossip.

Yup, because I wanted to preserve my dying iPod's battery I had to sit in the break room and listen to things such as red carpet dress opinions, whose children were cuter and how long (celenbrity) relationships will last among other such fascinating (?) gems. These were taken from magazines spread all over the break room which I had often seen, but never truly noticed.

I, for one, have never been able to really understand why the lives of celebrities are so important that people spend so much time following and discussing them, but I suppose we all need our hobbies, yes? I don't know why I felt the need to post this, but the fact that people take such an interest in the lives of the rich and famous has always been strange to me.

What are you thoughts, oh wise consortium of Gaian geezers?

Discuss
1.) Celebrity Gossip and the cultural obsession behind it
2.) Whether or not you follow the life and times of a certain famous person and, if so, for what reasons.
3.) How she's too hot for him and could totally do better!
4.) Mr. Bond and how I expect him to die.
5.) The approaching death of "The Pod Damn Batman" (my iPod) sad  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:46 pm
I'm in agreeance with you, I will never understand the obsession with celebritys. I don't know them, their lives don't affect mine, and my children will never share crayons with theirs at daycare. So, I do not care in the lease bit, and seriously think that people who follow their lives with the attention of a nun grading writig papers really needs a new hobby.

I also think celebrities are just emos that have learned to hide their alleged pain...the similiarities between the two are haunting.

Bunnochist

Sparkly Hellhound

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:14 pm
Personally I don't understand it...but then I don't watch TV (other than the Bold and the Beautiful...which has MORE than enough drama in it for me) and I don't buy glossy magazines. So all I have to say is "Awww, poor Britney".

2.) Whether or not you follow the life and times of a certain famous person and, if so, for what reasons.
I pick up glossy magazines while waiting in line at my supermarket when I see Catherine Zeta Jones on the cover. She's my cousin (well, second cousin...my biological mother's 1st cousin). So, that's my 'excuse'.

In my world, it's never about looks. If an ugly man is really nice, polite, romantic etc etc, he can get ANY girl in the room. Why should things be different in Hollywood?

Apparently the global economic crises will do it for him. No extra money = no big movies = No Bond, James er....who?

5.) The approaching death of "The Pod Damn Batman" (my iPod)
Ebay is your friend. Buy another charger.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:03 am
I will reply to this thread soon... but first I must put on my pants, nudge James who is still asleep in bed and tip him off of his impending peril.  

AntoniaMerEnfant

AQuAxXxScORP_62704

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 am
Ofcourse there is a natural obessesion for them. I don't care for most, but yes I do have my favorite actors and actresses.

A. They get over paid for what again just like atheletes???? LOL we all can do that if we get lucky and get discovered. Because of it private lives are no longer private, especially when they act like harlots,
B. Or in general addicts w/o the thought or control, most are classless that inherent lots of wealth and yet famous???? WTF??

Did you win the novel prize??? Did you find a cure??? Did you earn a purple heart? Are you a college grad that did something special to earn such high recognitions??? A scientist that finally proven every single theories???

So when they whine and complain how their private lives are shattered. I think that's their own doing for publicity in general. People who buys the mags they don't have nothing better to do. My opinion these people that get famous for no apparent reasons or over paid should just go; becuase in most cases it's not like the wealth is spreading around it's only spreading where the rich shops at the richy place.

And yet they want to claim they are normal, but most when they are with normal people with minimum wage like that PUNK with Ashton show one episode especially with Ashanti for example; it's funny the normal people are supporting them buying their pricey products or whatever they are selling to the audience in general; but with her she acted like she can't sit in a normal city bus with normal people and looked at them with disgust when she used to be like this normal people with minimum wage on her pocket before she even was a fake star......I tell you some of them needs a real B*** SLAP!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:22 am
Discuss
OMG what is wrong with these people. First off, why do they read those trash newspapers? 2nd, why do they believe the trashy newspapers?????

I don't follow any persons career. What they do doesn't impact my life. I certainly wouldn't run my life the way they run theirs.

HUH??? I don't now what hot is. Everyone has their own version of what hot is.

Good luck with that. biggrin

5.) The approaching death of "The Pod Damn Batman" (my iPod)

Ummm? maybe you should charge it once in a while?  

schnauzers4Robin

7,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Mercenaryx2070

O.G. Noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:42 pm
I think we can all agree that the obsession over celebrities is rather OLD and ANNOYING.
I've never understood the fascination with it, but I have noticed the change since I was a kid.
In my childhood, us girls had REAL aspirations. I wanted to be a vet, or work in the Pentagon, or go to the moon. My friends wanted to be doctors and the first female president, and scientists...
Now a days, all you see are little girls who want to grow up and be a pop star, or a great actress, or "so-and-so's wife no matter how old he is by the time I'm old enough to date him..."
I honestly fear for our future generation... So scared, I'm having second thoughts on breeding...
I believe that our American Culture is nothing more than Pop Culture at this point. It's kind of sad to think that there are honestly kids out there who are in high school right now that feel that Britney Spears' comeback is more significant than 9/11
W.T.F?
I honestly feel that this fascination most have is poisoning our culture, our lives and our future...
lol No, it's not the economic crisis or the oil issues we have that's going to cause our Mad Max-esque future, it's the idiots that feel it's more important to glamorize themselves and these God Awful actors/actresses rather than trying to make a change for what's coming...
Yes, let's look at their lives cause it takes my mind off of what's really happening... Reality? What? You mean like, on TV? Yeah, I'm so paying attention...

And as far as the iPod goes... I'd suggest getting a Zune, but after the whole debacle on New Year's eve, I'm on the fence..
Just hope you won't need it for a day or two on a leap year xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Sablara

rlcarvell

No, no, no, no. I've had the thing for so long (going on three years, I think) that its battery is drained faster than it used to be. Eventually I doubt it'll be able to hold a charge at all.

AntoniaMerEnfant
I will reply to this thread soon... but first I must put on my pants, nudge James who is still asleep in bed and tip him off of his impending peril.

gonk  

Headhunter
Crew

Headhunter
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Mercenaryx2070

In my childhood, us girls had REAL aspirations. I wanted to be a vet, or work in the Pentagon, or go to the moon. My friends wanted to be doctors and the first female president, and scientists...
Now a days, all you see are little girls who want to grow up and be a pop star, or a great actress, or "so-and-so's wife no matter how old he is by the time I'm old enough to date him..."

It's actually kind of funny you mentioned this, because when I worked in a toy store up until just over a year ago, I noticed this same shift in the girls dolls. They went from being doctors and what not to looking like something you usually see standing on a street corner at 2AM. It's a pretty big face palm inducing realization.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm
Headhunter

It's actually kind of funny you mentioned this, because when I worked in a toy store up until just over a year ago, I noticed this same shift in the girls dolls. They went from being doctors and what not to looking like something you usually see standing on a street corner at 2AM. It's a pretty big face palm inducing realization.

I was going to go off on a whole tangent on the toys, but it's a subject I get pretty fired up over...
I worked Toys 'R Us the first year the Bratz Dolls were released... My stomach turned while I stocked them... D:  

Mercenaryx2070

O.G. Noob

Super Buick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Headhunter
Sablara

rlcarvell

No, no, no, no. I've had the thing for so long (going on three years, I think) that its battery is drained faster than it used to be. Eventually I doubt it'll be able to hold a charge at all.

i heard that you can send your ipod off to get a new battery put into it. i also heard that you can actually buy the kit to do it yourself, if you're savvy enough. however, i know that they don't accept the ipod minis anymore at apple. so if you own one of them, you're s.o.l.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:20 am
The response you may or may not have been waiting for (since I said I'd post on this smile )

1. I find myself both annoyed by celeb gossip-- but often falling into the trap of it myself. Generally speaking (and this is not condone it, just to explain one rationale behind it) I think celebrity gossip fulfills this desire we have to share commonalities with others. Obvious not because we know how flava flave feels with his ticking clock of love heart . But think about it- awkward moment with people you don't like, "So uh, how about Britney Spears, slut huh?" People have an obsession with gossip, but since the small town is dissolving people have latched onto movie stars and musicians as their source of "commonly known person".

The Greeks had their gods, Zeus couldn't keep it in his pants and they all knew it- - we have Brangelina. It's also some sad sort of validation. "See, I'm not nearly as screwed up as this stranger we've all heard about, and she/he is rich and ought to know better!".

That being said, the obvious why, now let me tirade if you will.

Seriously, driven into the ground. Second, can we please, please talk about something more important? Third, the lengths celebrity stalking go to is sick. I feel like nothing was learned after the death of Princess Diana-- and sometimes I get so sick of "OMG, Tyra Banks is FAT!!! OMG Jordin Sparks is obese!! Gwen Paltrow weights a 'whopping' 125 lbs OMFG!!" Honestly, how the hell do you think young women are going to perceive their bodies if you're telling them that friggin' goddesses of beauty are "Fat"???? So to all the writers at tabloids scandalizing over the "Fat" actress weighing in at 160 lbs or less- Go to hell-- take your ho hos and your word processor and go to hell-- this vilification of healthy weights is feeding in to anorexia and bulimia. Sure they might not "cause" eating disorders, but it's telling women out there who already hate how they look that 110+ lbs is somehow "unnatural" /rant.

2. Normally it's not my scene-- because I don't really know them at all. I guess the Travolta kid caught my attention though. While I can't say I know anything about John Travolta, I do have to ache for him because he is a father who has suffered a loss- the same for his whole family. Seeing the family photos on CNN made me realize that "Danny" from Grease was an ordinary guy at the end of the day. While I don't exactly agree with scientology it makes me sad that due to Travolta's high-profile belief system people are looking for a scandal in this death. Perhaps there is one, but it seems that the family should be allowed to grieve with dignity. Also, I think the general opinions most people have for scientology makes us a little too prone to assuming the worst when something bad happens to a group of people who follow that.

3. WTF- so true OMG--TMTH!! I think rlcarvell said it best. smile I know some people look at me and think my boyfriend can do better-- and others look at him and think he can do better. Truth be told we find each other attractive- and so who gives 2 cents about "who's hot"?

4. Well Mr. Bond has left me with a bill to the hotel and a bad burning sensation in an awkward place--- stupid James. I kid, honestly I'm a villian's girl all the way. If I was a surreal beauty I'd so team up with madman bent on world domination--- he could give me Australia!  

AntoniaMerEnfant

ping05

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm
1.) I have no idea why everyone gets so obsessive over their lives. I don't really look into any of that much and I don't think it's interesting at all. I have my own life to worry about, I don't need to be worrying about all these famous people lol. Some people go to extremes when it comes to celebrities. I couldn't tell you why others do it though, because I don't know why. xp I'll look up my favorite ones and look at their ages and nationalities I guess when I'm bored. I usually forget later though haha. I just like to see if any of them relate to me at all, but I'm not that interested in their crimes and stuff like that.
2.) I don't really follow up on anyone. I'll check out what movies they'll be in next and that's pretty it really. I'll look to see who's having babies though, sort of. I just like to look at baby pictures probably. But I basically only look to see if they're in something or doing something that I'd be interested in seeing.
3.) Everyone else had pretty good answers. It doesn't matter what the other person looks like. The other person chose them for some reason and it's not up to everyone else to decide why. Looks shouldn't really matter.
4.) haha, I don't know what to say... What's so wrong with Mr. Bond? xd
5.) I'm sorry about your ipod... That would be cool if you could send it in though and get a new battery. I really hope you figure something out. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:32 pm
Headhunter
Mercenaryx2070

Yeah, that's sad how that ended up. My sister's like 6 and she wants to be a vet/dr/teacher and all these other things, but I see kids in her class that seem like little pop stars. They want to be cheerleaders or stars. I remember just wanting to be a teacher all my life haha. And as for the dolls, I know what you mean. I'm sorry, but I really dislike those Bratz dolls. They seem extremely trampy. I can't believe they'd make dolls like that for little girls. confused  

ping05

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:48 pm
I think people worry so much about celebrities' lives so they don't have to fix their own.  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff