Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Characterization most butchered Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TenshinoHikari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:53 pm
Before I tell you what I would like us to discuss in this topic, let me say something. This is not a movie bashing thread!. There are understandable amounts of things taken from the movies simply because there wasn't room or time. I lament the loss of Glorfindel (and celebrate the loss of Tom Bombadil because he gives me nightmares, but that's just me...) and other things, but understand why they simply could not be included.
What I want to discuss is the differences between the movie version of a character and their true form. Which character has been changed so drastically that it makes you cringe just to think about? Which has changed so drastically that you almost don't recognize who they are talking about when movie only fans discuss them?

My opinion: Merry and Elrond. Merry is smart, brave, loyal, honest, and the most quick witted of the hobbit. While there are moments in the movies that this shows, for the most part he becomes a clown and completly undistiguishable from Pippin.
Elrond, also, was destroyed. He is a wise, gentle, and courageous elf-lord who has suffered much. He is instead potrayed as an overprotective, self-centered, really really old elf. I hate that characterization and whenever anyone says "I hate Elrond! He's so mean!" I just want to hit them with my book.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:17 pm
I think I was most dissapointed with Faramir. When I went to the theater to see The Two Towers, I was really looking forward to meeting his character. It was getting close to the time where the Hobbits met him in the book, I was at the edge of my seat, and then, he turned out to be a total a*****e. I mean, when he got all crazy like and started yelling at Frodo and Sam, and then wanted to take them into Gondor, I literally cried out, "What the F---!" Thank God it was opening night, in a small geeky community, so my comment was the least of the things heard over that. I mean seriously, I want my nice, kind, gentle, noble Faramir back. I don't want some whiny replica.  

Elainya

Onoj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:47 pm
Elainya I think I love you. I was so pissed about Faramir's utter destruction character-wise to the point where I can hardly watch TTT anymore. In the book he never even thought twice about the ring but in the movie that was all he wanted. Don't even get me started on the part where he actually took the Hobbits to Osgiliath. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:04 pm
I can understand the change in Faramir's character. I suppose you want an elabaoration.

. . .

It's late and I'm tired. So sue me.  

Falathrim

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:17 pm
They have a million good excuses for every change in the movie.

Having said that, Denethor came across as a villian and that made me sad.

I didn't like the changes made to Faramir, but at least he was redeemed enough that I can have a crush on both book and movie Faramir. Although I'd pick book Faramir if they both called me up and asked me out Friday night.

... It might happen. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:59 am
You keep thinking that, Nimby. wink

I think that they made Faramir act they way he did, to try and show how he, and Boromir were alike. But, I don't think that was wise on PJ's part, as they are not the same in the books, and they are not supposed to be the same.

The best Merry scene was in TTT, when he was pleading to the Ents to go to war. Explaining that his friends were there, and they needed help. It really made me love the character, and made me forget how they butchered the character in the rest of the movies.

I also disagree with Pippins movie character. It seemed like he was just a joker, and a fool, but he was so much more in the books. I can't really give any details, because I am very sketchy with them, having not read the trilogy in a while.  

Thaxul

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:08 am
They needed Faramir's character to change because Frodo needed conflict. The only way to give Frodo conflict without getting him to Shelob in the second movie would have been to do something to Faramir.

It was in all honesty a lose/lose situation for PJ. Either change Faramir's character or make Frodo's story arc boring as hell.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:41 pm
Which would have been bad because Frodo's arc is the important one. As much as I love the others, the plot revolves around Frodo.

As for Merry, I loved that TTT scene, but they ruined it by having him ready to give up so easily afterward. He didn't even argue with Treebeard, he just looked all determined like. I cannot think of a moment in the books when Merry was willing to give up.  

TenshinoHikari

closer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:04 pm
I was really dissapointed in the way they portrayed sam. Meh. How he was reluctant to give the ring back, when in the book he was not. Also, in Llothlorien when he asks for a dagger instead of rope. Sam was always the one always going on about how nice it was to have a bit of rope. Meh.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm
I would rather have Frodo's character arc boring as hell then get all the comments of "How can you like Faramir? He is an a*****e!?!;iejoe" and I'm like "No he's not. You ******** bastards." Pardon my french.  

Onoj

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:01 am
Urg, I hate that. Faramir and Eowyn are my favorite trilogy-only characters. When I tell people, and they bring up the whole evil-movie-Faramir thing... xp

Still, I agree with Falathrim. The change was necessary for the film. It was necessary to keep the Frodo arc going. Still, I can't help but be dissapointed by it... sad  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:16 am
I can understand why they changed Faramir's character more so than Denethor's. I suppose they have a reason for him running a mile off the edge of Minas Tirith while on fire, but I don't see why they had to change him.  

Melian

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:51 am
Falathrim
They needed Faramir's character to change because Frodo needed conflict. The only way to give Frodo conflict without getting him to Shelob in the second movie would have been to do something to Faramir.

It was in all honesty a lose/lose situation for PJ. Either change Faramir's character or make Frodo's story arc boring as hell.

I disagree there... I don't think the change in Faramir's character in order to have some form of conflict was crucial. Leaving him as he was would not have made Frodo's story "arc boring as hell". It would of made little difference.

And i'm speaking for myself here, but I think having Faramir's original character would have made those scenes more enjoyable and entertaining for Tolkien fans, and new-comers alike.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Anatole_serial

TenshinoHikari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:30 pm
*giggles* Part of my point. Don't get me wrong, some parts with Hugo I find astounding. Unfortunatly, I just sit and wait for him to pull out sunglasses the whole time. Perhaps a slightly less type-casted actor might have been a good idea. (Mind you, I also expected Saruman to pull out a lightsabe sweatdrop ).  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff