Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing: Prose
Miss Bell (Please give me some feed back)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

5thmarauder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:24 am
I coiled my arm around the rope of the tree swing I was sitting on. As I looked out over the cliff before me I couldn’t help but feel a certain sense of gloom. What was left to live for in my life? Why was I even going on? I wanted to throw myself into the waves below and float away with them, to be lost in the deep grey waters. I sighed and got up from the swing. I looked around behind me at the empty place where the house used to sit. It was gone now except for the once beautiful staircase. The staircase alone stood out among the ashy remains of my entire world. I wanted to burst into tears at the thought of all I lost. My family, all of my beautiful things and now Jack all of them gone. I looked down at my left hand. It was grasping a crumpled piece of paper. That piece of paper had made it official. My beloved James lost to those North in a battle that wasn’t meant to be his. He’d been lost to those damn Yankees had killed him. I pulled open the paper and read it over again as though some how it would say something different than it had the last four million times I read it. It never did. Every time it was the same. ‘We would like to express our most sincere apologies for your loss Miss Bell.’ What did that even mean? They weren’t sorry that I’d lost the love of my life. They were sorry that they’d lost another soldier to fight their pointless war. I shook my head in disgust and threw it to the ground before turning around and walking to the edge of the cliff. I crossed my arms and looked out as the tears ran down my face. I couldn’t handle this anymore. I took my shawl from around my shoulders and held it out to the wind. I let it slip through my fingers and watched as the fabric twisted and turned until it finally fell to the ocean and was swept gracefully under the waves. It was gone just like that. Its decent had been so graceful and peaceful. I took a few more steps until my feet were right at the edge. Closing my eyes I put my hand over the locket around my neck and pictured James bright smile in my mind before taking my foot and stepping forward allowing myself to fall into oblivion. I was free, no longer haunted by the ghosts of my past.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:58 am
"My family, all of my beautiful things and now Jack all of them gone." <-- Read it over... kind of confusing.

"He’d been lost to those damn Yankees had killed him." <-- This, too.

Other than that, this is really good! Powerful ending! heart  

Collote
Crew

Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas