Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Reviews
Harry Potter [video games]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:25 pm
There's been one Harry Potter game for every movie, plus one just for people who like Quidditch. I'm going to assume you already know the stories, either from the movies or the books.

The first two games, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, were probably the best. Both allowed plenty of exploration around Hogwarts, incorporated the plot points well, and were just plain fun. There were items to collect, freedom of movement, and they still managed to stay faithful to the story. And Quidditch was never better than in these games. Best of all, they didn't feel like just another movie license. These two games were built for people who just liked the books or who liked both the books and the movies.

The third game, like the third movie (Prisoner of Azkaban), changed a lot of stuff, mostly for the worse. Movement around the grounds was very restricted, and the whole game was darker. Actually, it was less like a game than an interactive run-through of the movie. Some people might enjoy that sort of thing, but I was very disappointed, especially with the lack of exploration and the changes that were made to the layout of the castle.

The fourth game (Goblet of Fire), like the fourth movie, was the biggest disappointment of them all. At this point, it seemed like the developers weren't even trying to stick with the original concept anymore. Worse than an interactive run-through of the movie, it was like exploring a vague trailer for a movie. Rather than moving from Point A to Point B and interacting with other characters to accomplish tasks and move through the story, the game was set up like a series of disjointed challenges that had nothing to do with either each other or the plot at large. Speaking of which, the plot was expressed solely through storyboard-type, monochromatic "cutscenes" that left the player feeling disconnected from the whole story. There were items to collect but no real inventory and no list to tell you how many you had or how many existed. Also, the final boss fight was ridiculously easy, especially compared to the crazy number of times you have to go back through finished levels to collect everything. The game's only saving grace is the multiplayer function, which adds some level of amusement.

The fifth game, Order of the Phoenix, was a pleasant surprise. Harkening back to the first two, it managed to recall the fun of exploration while not skimping on the storyline. It's still considerably darker than the first two games, but at this point in the story, that's a good thing. Real CGI cutscenes and plot-furthering events blend with the gameplay marvelously, and there's more interaction with the NPCs than ever before. There were a few minor glitches to be found, caused by the massively improved graphics, but nothing too serious. And multiplayer is still an option.

Quidditch World Cup is not exactly canon, but it's great for gamers who loved the Quidditch portions of the movie games. There's no story; it's just a bunch of Quidditch matches. Harry himself appears to be in his second year at Hogwarts, but you don't play solely as him. In fact, you play as almost every player on each of the four Hogwarts teams at different points in the game. Work your way through the school competition, and you move on to the big leagues, playing on teams from around the world and eventually winning the World Cup. Assuming you can make it past the insanely steep difficulty curve, that is. This is not a game for people who get easily frustrated by being beaten over and over again in any sort of sport. I recommend lots of practice before taking on the French team.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 pm
User Image

We have Sorcerer's Stone for PS1. 3nodding
I haven't touched it in years though....my husband was more involved in playing with it. I do remember playing through a little bit of the beginning and it did seem like it followed the book fairly well while still leaving the freedom you're talking about. :3

Also....We have Lego Harry Potter for the computer. ....That was boring. :/

®îñí Ïkãtå®û

Ikataru

Fluffy Bunny

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:17 am
The first two were the best. You should play through Sorcerer's Stone, and if you like it, I'd recommend the second one, cuz they're so much alike. 3nodding

Omg, I didn't even know there WAS a Lego Harry Potter. confused That sounds weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 am
✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖ ✖

I saw previews for the newest HP game the other day, it's for the Wii, it looks really cool because you have to actually use the controller as a wand and stuff. I'd really like to demo it. 3nodding

So, is anyone going to see the new movie??? It comes out in the USA on the 15th. I might, if we have enough money. <3

ℛîñíÏʞã৳å®û

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:42 pm
I know I'm gonna buy it on DVD anyway, so I'm just gonna save my money and avoid the theatres for now. I don't have to worry about spoilers, anyhow, cuz I've already read the books. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 pm

xD! Yeah, that's the good thing about reading the book first.

My husband and I went to see it in the theater. ♥ We rarely go, but we decided to splurge. I melted upon seeing Draco. @_@;;;; Wow, how the young ones grow up. heart I kinda felt bad about calling him sexy until I realized the actor who played him was 22. xD

[rini]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:28 pm
Rini Ikataru

xD! Yeah, that's the good thing about reading the book first.

My husband and I went to see it in the theater. ♥ We rarely go, but we decided to splurge. I melted upon seeing Draco. @_@;;;; Wow, how the young ones grow up. heart I kinda felt bad about calling him sexy until I realized the actor who played him was 22. xD

[rini]
I didn't know that. xd Awesome. I knew those kids looked too old for the roles they were playing.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:58 am

xd Yeah. I know there apparently is some broadway play in which Daniel Radcliff is nude. O_o; *shudders* That scares me a little.

[rinibuns]

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

Emanation

Romantic Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 am
I really can't wait to watch that last one but the actors are so grown up now, the roles don't fit them! I mean, what 23-year-old is in his second-last year?! It just doesn't really work.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm
Emanation
I really can't wait to watch that last one but the actors are so grown up now, the roles don't fit them! I mean, what 23-year-old is in his second-last year?! It just doesn't really work.

It really doesn't bother me that much, mostly cuz so many actors play roles too young for them all the time anyway. Just suspend your disbelief. xd

And Rini, the play is called Equus. 3nodding I didn't find it scary. xd

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 am

xD! All I knew was the play had him naked and involved horses. Two things I don't care to ever deal with. rofl *malfoy fan* >_<;

......And their ages don't bother me either. Quite a lot of older actors/actresses play younger roles. 3nodding Like Purple said.

[rinibuns]

Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff