Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Can someone explain familiars

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diana Ishtar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
I'm not exactly new to wicca but I've never really understood what a familiar is. I've read that they assist in magick and that they take the form of animals. I've also heard that they are spirits. So what are they exactly, spirits that often take the form of animals?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:13 pm
Diana Ishtar
I'm not exactly new to wicca but I've never really understood what a familiar is. I've read that they assist in magick and that they take the form of animals. I've also heard that they are spirits. So what are they exactly, spirits that often take the form of animals?

Like many things in magick, there's not much of a consensus on what makes a familiar.

One school of thought it that the familiar is a "mundane" pet that's deemed to be a bit spiritually aware, in that it always shows up during magickal workings, or somehow "assists" the magickian in some way.

Another is that the familiar is a spirit that appears to you, in a way similar to the Native American concept of a Totem Animal - through dreams, while taking narcotics, showing up in strange synchronicities - that sort of thing. They're considered to be astral constructs, nature spirits in animal form, your guardian angel (Holy or otherwise), a manifestation of your soul and the like.

In short, since there's no concrete definition about the criteria for a familiar other than "an animal or animal-like being that assists you in magick", your familiar is pretty much however you choose to define it.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

El Diosa de la Tigre

7,300 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 pm
My familiar is a white colored cat named Victoria. She helps me with some spells, but she mostly keeps my energy calm and chases bad spirits from the house. A familiar can be anything from a cat to a lizard to a house plant, whatever you happen to connect to on a psychic level.You can find spells specialized to working with your familiar. I have alot of cat magick books, for instance! Oh, and usualy, they choose you. In my oppinion, all animals are magickaly more aware than we are.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:28 pm
In my tradition the Familiar is bestowed upon you by the Master of the Nameless Craft. It is an entity that is a channel to the Otherworld so you can help direct the energies for your workings. I have not yet attained mine, but some day I will.  

Cunning Witch Angus

Kayann Sheridan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 pm
Well, I know in D&D terms, it's an animal companion that can eventually use your spells....but I dunno.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:06 am

ᏕᎻᎬ ᎪᎵᎵᎬᎪᏒᎬᎠ ᎾᏌᎢ ᎾF NᎾᎢᎻINᏀ, ᎪNᎠ ᏕᎵᎾᏦᎬ IN Ꭺ ᏞᎾᏌᎠ ᏨᏞᎬᎪᎡ ᏤᎾIᏟᎬ:

I have been curious about familiars too. I read the wiki for this one and it was very useful^^

Here it is: Familiars

ᎪNᎠ ᎠIᏕᎪᎵᎵᎬᎪᎡᎬᎠ IN Ꭺ BᏞᏌᎬ ᏟᏞᎾᏌᎠ ᎾF ᏕᎷᎾᏦᎬ.

Qaisar Domino

Romantic Lunatic

The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games