Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Reviews
Lord of the Rings trilogy [movies]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 am
Tolkien is one of my favorite writers of all time. His background in language made his characters and worlds come to life. Before seeing Peter Jackson's epic trilogy, I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to live up to the greatness of the books. But they came as close as anything possibly could. Yes, there were a few minor mistakes and a few major omissions, but the atmosphere of the originals was almost perfectly replicated, something is very difficult to do with a story so epic and yet so detailed. Most of the story elements are kept intact, and much of the dialogue is taken straight from the books. Yet, the movies don't feel like static clones, as happens so often with movies based on books. In my opinion, these are the best book-based movies ever made, managing to both stay true to the originals and make the stories come alive for people who've never read them. It certainly helped that they used a collection of outstanding actors and hired one of the most brilliant musical composers in showbiz. If you can't tell, these are my favorite movies ever. whee  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:56 pm
*Shakes head* No, I had no idea you liked it. *dripping with sarcasm* However, I have to agree with ya I was pretty worried myself that they wouldn't catch the feel and greatness of the books and I haven't even read them. Still haven't sadly enough. However, they did a wonderful job and the extended versions on DVD are even better I think.

I need to sit down and watch these movies again they were most enjoyable. The characters were each so very different yet they meshed well they were very entertaining. Not to mention because of how the characters were created and how their personalities came out you couldn't help but getting attached to them or feeling for them and thus pulling you right into the movie. Truly a great trilogy in my opinion.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

Nana Chaloma

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:34 pm
I actually think I like the movies better than the books. Not that the books weren't too good, but I felt that Tolkien had a habit of rambling on and on about things that weren't all that relevant at the time. Such as when Arwen's brothers come in for dinner and he pauses the story to tell the audience what they'd been up to. razz  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:20 pm
I haven't read them myself, but sometimes that has to be done in stories so you know what importance these characters bring to the story or for later reference, but that's just me. However, I do admit when they go over board it can be annoying as all get out, so I can understand where you're coming from.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:15 pm
Tolkien was good at giving background on everything. If you prefer more action-oriented fare, he might be a bit too scholarly for you. It's not as if he made a habit of interrupting battle sequences with background stories. He was just good at whipping up details.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:16 pm
Hmm...I see. Well when I have time, like now that I'm sick, perhaps I should try and read these books. sweatdrop Sounds right up my alley to be honest.  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

Nana Chaloma

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 am
purpleravenhawk
Tolkien was good at giving background on everything. If you prefer more action-oriented fare, he might be a bit too scholarly for you. It's not as if he made a habit of interrupting battle sequences with background stories. He was just good at whipping up details.

Actually, I think he might have a time or two. The time when he paused the story to give us background on Eowyn-disguised-as-a-man comes to mind.

Though, that might have been a pre-battle description. It still felt a bit gratuitous to me, though.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:43 am
I don't recall where in the story that description came, but I think it was important enough. 3nodding I like descriptions in my novels.  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

heir of aragorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm
I love the movies because they are filmed in New Zealand. An absolutely beautiful country. Go NZ  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:52 pm
I know! Everything made in New Zealand is pretty much awesome to look at. 3nodding I own several different tv series and lots of movies filmed there. whee  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Quirken

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:55 pm
I'm a huuuge Tolkien head, and honestly I started out with the movies then proceded to read the books. I'm actually reading the Silmarillion at the moment.... Anyway, I think that what makes the movies so freakin' good is that while they stray from the books at times Peter always found ways to incorporate tips of the hat to missing characters and completely captured the essence of Tolkien's books through Frodo and Sam's amazing quest.  
Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games