Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing: Prose
Untitled. I would love some advice though!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Phriya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am
*Sigh* This is a first for me, posting my writing publicly. It's part of chapter one of a story I've been brainstorming for a few years. I actually wrote a lot of it a long time ago but I'm redoing it.

A couple pieces of feedback I'd like are:
1. Commas. I tend to be a comma freak so please let me know if you see improper use of them. smile
2. Did you like/dislike the way I introduced the main character and his name?
3. Did I confuse you in the way I introduced the other characters?

I'm mostly horrible at beginning my stories. So, if you do have anything negative to say please be nice and give advice to follow along with it.

*Warning: small amount of content may be offensive.*

----------------------------------------------

When he was by himself he left the house dark. He lived with his older brother and sister-in-law who let him stay there in secret. He was careful to hide his presence there, if he was discovered he would be arrested and so would the homeowners. Since they were risking their lives for him the least he could do for the only people he cared for was to not get caught.

Caution was more than a priority; it was his life – constantly on guard. He worked third shift so he wasn’t leaving and entering in daylight. The construction company allowed him to work using an alias while being paid under the table, due to influence from his brother. The car he drove was nothing desirable, old and slightly rusted; normal. He wore a hat every time he was out, along with jeans and plain colored shirts.

Inside the he had only a few items to claim as his own, all of which he kept in the pockets of his jacket: his cash, house key and car keys, and deodorant. His extra clothes and other necessities he kept in a bag under the bed in the guest room he stayed in. There was nothing of personality in his room. If the worst happened there should be nothing of his left behind.

He had come home after a longer than usual shift from work. The house would be empty again, he parked half a block away and used a neighbor’s driveway to navigate through a few backyards and use the backdoor to enter his house. He had never been caught doing this. The residents rarely put up fences and were used to the streets being prowled since all of the neighborhood kids were friends with each other.

He was exhausted from work but didn’t want to go to bed dirty. Once he was confident he was the only one there, he made sure the curtains and blinds were shut tight and turned on the living room TV with low volume for illumination. The glare from the television let enough light into the bathroom for a quick shower. He wasn’t worried about the noise from the running water; it wasn’t loud enough to grab attention. The hot water on the tight knots and muscles almost relaxed him into sleep standing up. He wanted to stay in longer but couldn’t risk it. Groaning as he stepped over the tub into the open air he towel dried himself and wrapped it around his lower torso. Wish I could have a smoke right now, he thought to himself while watching the steam dissipate, reminding him of the only addition that kept him calm. Unfortunately, he couldn’t go to the store when he needed to without risking exposure.

He shoved the wet towel into the laundry shoot on his way to the bedroom. While he felt around in his bag in the almost-dark he listened to the faint TV. The morning news was just coming on and it was only then he realized exactly how late he had gotten in. He preferred sleeping in the nude but since at any moment he could be forced to flee, he made due with sleeping in boxers and sweats. While he dressed the news repeated an on-going mystery about a local high school cheerleading squad who seemed to have “disappeared at the same time”. Obviously there were no leads and they suspect that the girls had run away from home together. They proceeded to give their names and appearances urging anyone with information to contact… Blah, blah, blah, he’d stopped listening. He was tired of hearing the story: “such a tragedy, those poor and innocent girls were probably abducted”. The truth would be buried with the three of them that he knew personally. He grinned when he remembered them in their best moment, drunk, naked and moaning from underneath him. Nothing else he knew, but still he held no sympathy.

Sympathy was an empty promise in his philosophy. He flopped onto the bed and began to drift into sleep while pondering the events of his past leading up to the present. He woke up half an hour later in sweat. Whatever the dream he just had he’d forgotten already, but he was glad. He lived a worse nightmare than he could dream.

The TV was still flickering from down the hall. Groggily he sat up and stumbled through the doorway to shut it off and retreat back to bed. The local weather forecast was calling for continual rain as he flicked it off. With the noise gone he could in fact hear that in that short period of time it had started to rain. Soft thunder was heard in the distance. He sighed, storms were never a favorite, he hoped he was tired enough to sleep through the whole thing.

A ringing pierced through the house and gave him a start. He grabbed his chest and took a breath. The house phone was ringing. No one ever called at this time, he worried his brother was calling about an emergency. The caller ID lit up on the end table in the room and he rushed to see the number.

It was coming from a payphone. His heart started to race. He didn’t own a cell phone for this reason, the only time someone would dial him from a payphone was because the caller was about to deal bad news.
He knew the procedure in answering. He held his breath and lifted the phone to his ear and listened until the voice on the other end was recognizable.

“Vince! Hey man it’s me!”

It was his supervisor from his construction job, Gabe. Perhaps also the only “real” friend he has besides the family he lives with.
Vince responded. “What’s the problem?”

“Are Jack and Nadine at home with ya right now?”

“No, they’re still on vacation. Why, did something happen to them?” Vince demanded.

“Good, you’ve no time for a sappy goodbye then-“

“Gabe just tell me what the hell you’re talking about! Did something happen to them?”

“Alright, alright,” Gabe stammered. “Nothing happened to your brother or all that. But the cops just came by the site askin’ about ya. I ain’t told ‘em nothin’ though. You know what to do, I got ya covered here.”

“s**t. Ok, thanks. Appreciate the heads up,” Vince slammed the phone on the receiver.

He had a fleeting hoped that Gabe knew he was grateful but left the rest of his thought to the play-by-play for the situation he always feared. In a haze he wrenched on his jacket while yanking the bag from under his bed. He sprinted down the short hallway toward the backdoor while turning the framed picture by the door sideways – a signal only he, Jack and Nadine knew about, that he had to run without saying goodbye. He slammed the door shut behind him and headed for the thick woods that was the neighborhood’s backyard. Mud flew up on either side of him and splashed onto his face and bare chest. He was thankful for his stamina level, his plan had run out up to this point, he had no hideout so he would run as far and as fast as he could.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm
Okay, this is kinda lengthy so i'm going to edit as I read, and add explanations at the end if you don't mind? These will be in the order I run across them.

his presence there, if he was discovered -- comma to semicolon.

rusted; normal -- semicolon to hyphen, or add a few words before normal and punctuate accordingly.

Paragraph 2 -- change the "The"'s and "He"'s at the beginning of sentences to something else - optional.

Inside the he -- inside the house? apartment? I'm not sure.

jacket: his cash -- remove "his" only, or remove ": his" and add a hyphen.

home after a longer than usual shift from work -- move "from work" to to immediately after "home".

The house would be empty again, he parked half a block away and used a neighbor’s driveway to navigate through a few backyards and use the backdoor to enter his house. -- No idea. Something.

used to the streets -- diction "used" - optional.

only one there -- remove "there" - optional.

relaxed him into sleep -- diction "relaxed".

Groaning as he stepped over the tub into the open air he towel dried himself and wrapped it around his lower torso. -- tense change in sentence and from rest of work, confusing.

only addition that kept him calm -- addiction? It is implied by this that he has multiple addictions, true or not?

the store -- colloquialism - optional.

Paragraph 5 -- tense shift(s).

laundry shoot -- shoot to chute.

in the almost-dark -- "in" is used twice in close proximity. - barely optional.
add room or something after "dark" - optional.

he made due -- colloquialism, due to do.

sweats. -- sweatpants? sweatclothes? vague. - optional.

a local high school cheerleading squad who seemed to have “disappeared at the same time”. -- number disagreement.

Obviously -- remove - optional.

they suspect -- police or the news team?

They proceeded -- ditto.

Blah, blah, blah -- is in italics like his previous thought. is it soliloquy too?

Sympathy was an empty promise in his philosophy. -- belongs in the paragraph before, or with a similar subject in current paragraph.

Whatever the dream -- technically it wasn't a dream if he was only asleep for 1/2 hour. - very optional (nobody else will care).

He lived a worse nightmare than he could dream. -- this a a question of style, but the dis-continuity wouldn't let me skip it. - optional.

Groggily he sat up -- Okay, this isn't an edit, i'm just pleased that you used a verb to begin a sentence, the first you've used in that manner. =)

he could in fact hear -- colloquialism ("in fact") - optional.

could in fact hear that -- pronoun has no reference. Please add a noun, or remove pronoun.

that in that -- proximity - optional.

He sighed, storms were never a favorite, he hoped he was tired -- you have two semi-related independent clauses and one unrelated dependent clause.

Paragraph 8 -- tense change back to original tense.

gave him a start -- caused him to start. A noun may not be used here.

called at this time, he worried -- I suggest a new sentence. I can't think of any other effective punct. change. The ideas are too different.

The caller ID lit up on the end table -- It might be a separate "caller ID" box or not; i'm accustomed to the ID being on the phone console, so it struck me as odd. Perhaps add a relation of location to the telephone. - optional.

reason, the only -- comma to semicolon.

man it’s -- add comma, unless they actually talk like that.

Phone Conversation -- who is speaking when? I honestly have no idea.

Gabe just tell me -- add comma.

Phone Conversation -- okay, now I know. I would advise letting me know who is who immediately, though.

fleeting hoped -- verb agreement.

grateful but left -- add comma.

that was the neighborhood’s -- number agreement.

stamina level, his plan had run out up to this point, he had no hideout -- again, three separate ideas.

Okay, now for a summary.

Add more commas, if you feel ANY inclination to do so while writing/editing. You'll be better off with than without.

Read your work to yourself, aloud. It helps editing dramatically.

Pick a common tense, and stick with it, or be sure to be consistent if you change it for action/narration/speech.

My response as a reader.

It's a good, intriguing intro. Character development has begun, but the speech caught me by surprise. In my mind I heard a more refined, cold voice rather than the slang I heard. I don't remember the character's name at this point- I'd have to re-read the phone call. In developing characters be sure to let them remain consistent for a while before a change of heart, or they will be less round (the speech raises my hairs on this point). The lack of a plan caught me off-guard (only half a plan? weird.), although without a plan the plot will be more easily constructed. The blackwoods-article style isn't my style, but "to each their own". In terms of starting your story, I think plot is good and characters are believable- nothing is wrong besides punctuation etc.

Conclusion: I'd read more. If by the end I don't entertain a single sentence structure and diction style (abstract vs. concrete, loose vs. periodic), I would feel like it lacked something. (right now you are at loose and concrete [nouns, but a lack of imagery to classify]) Please continue to submit work, but I will again suggest that you speak it to yourself, or have a friend edit. I know editing my own work is tough, and isn't always the best method, so i'll guess that you are similar. Write more!!! =)

EDIT: oh, your questions!

1. Add more commas. Don't be afraid. I'm an hyphen and comma addict too.
2. Dislike. The phone conversation was confusing until I was through reading it, causing me to re-read.
3. Dislike. Ditto of above.

If you have a question about any of my suggested edits, please ask; there are too many small, individual errors for me to detail all of them here. Note again that suggested is blue and italicized, meaning these are my personal, non-opinionated, and non-condescending suggestions. If you like any part of your work the way it is, correct or incorrect, leave it as it is. I do, and believe it is what helps make your work your own (But please don't be obstinate over something silly).  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Phriya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:45 pm
Thanks. smile It's the first draft so it's choppy still. I wouldn't be surprised if I switched tenses throughout the story.

Can you suggest how the phone conversation could be less confusing to you? You mentioned you don't know who is speaking but each conversation line is separated to indicate that the next person is talking. I'm not trying at all to be defensive I just don't see how it could be confusing.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:20 pm
Okay, so the whole *waits for the other person to speak before speaking himself* thing just before the phone call lends the impression of the first few lines of the call not being written (which is something I do when I write), then the main character talking to the phone. Reading this the third time isn't confusing, but the first time I was thrown by the "bad news" the phone call was going to be about, and my mental impression of the narrator (cold, not jocular) being totally smashed to pieces. I'm also used to the first few character switches in a conversation to be denoted with characters and emotion(s) which I can use to feel the tone of the overall conversation, or the speaker being clearly stated with a pretext to the conversation before intercourse actually starts. After about two or three switches it is fine to drop who said what. *enter shameless self-advertisement and a small amount of bragging* Check out my submission to the angels and demons contest, and look at the sentence before each new major conversation, or the given speaker. *exit shameless self-advertisement and a small amount of bragging* lol, i'm just trying to get people to check it out, since no-one else has posted, and only 4 others have voted, only one of which was sure to enter.

I'm looking forward to a final version of this. Even if you don't post it publicly, i'd still like to read more =). Don't worry about sounding defensive; i'm trying not to sound condescending (i'm not). Perhaps you should get a second opinion on the subject, since I have now read through it a few times and know what is happening, and can't explain much better than I have in the paragraph above. Good luck trying to find a critic; nearly everyone here *loves* anything and everything submitted (I don't mean that literally; it is an overstatement to help express my emotion). I'm glad you took the time to look through my suggestions, and give a level reply. Thanks! =)  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces