Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Mountain and Molehill

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm
Nothing drives me more crazy than when petty things get blown out of proportion into national controversy. Case in point, the bumbling of the oath last Tuesday. People have flipped out over some verbal stumbling in a needless fashion, and it's making critics, particularly conservative critics, look bad. Obama jumped the gun on one portion of the oath, and John Roberts messed up the placement of a word. Big whoop. Nowhere in the Constitution does it specify set language for the oath of office. Moreover, it stipulates directly that the president's term of office ends at noon on January 20th. So, Obama, having been the certified winner of the last election, by default is president whether he took an oath or not. Even if his qualifications were challenged, Section 3 of the 20th amendment to the constitution stipulates directly that the Vice President-elect would assume the office until the matter was cleared up. Now, I don't know about you, but given a choice between Obama or that blustering idiot Joe Biden, I'll take my chances with Obama.

Now, even if we take an oath as necessary to assume office, which it isn't, it's the administering body's satisfaction to which the oath must be recited. Again, the oath has no legal script, that means the officiating body determines to his satisfaction the recitation. Somehow, I don't think John Roberts feels Obama failed to take the oath correctly the first time. The complaints over this matter are a ridiculous debacle and are going to make Republicans look bad in the end. It's time to let it go.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:45 pm
I completely agree. The oath case was kind of pointless, I would be nervous as hell to walk up in front of INTERNATIONAL cameras, being viewed by billions of people (live,) and make an oath, I'd stutter, probably forget parts of the oath I was supposed to say. I don't think the oath is all that important as long as the people are trying to say it correctly.  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Garrett31212

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:38 pm
Obama, by this point, should be used to that. In other words, right when it happened, I said to myself "The conservatives are going to jump all over this one."  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games