Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Why do people scream "Oh My God!" + Pretties by SW

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

Bunnehhh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:08 pm

So I recently [forgot what I searched in google] came across this.
Click here to see the original one.

The girl was asking why do people say Oh My God! in life threatening situations?

And the BEST answer was:
"Why do we all close our eyes wen we pray? Because it's built in and so is the reality that there really is a God. And we were created to house his spirit in us. Everyone who spends time in nature knows of him as well as small children. We say we don't know or believe but really we do."

And another answer:
Well you wouldn't say "Oh my [insert something that doesn't exist here]!" So therefore I think that in a sense I have to agree with you. I think it is in the back of their minds whether they realize it or not they know there was a creator and they don't know how to express it. You wouldn't talk about something that doesn't exist or even has no possibility of existing. Heck, I can't even think of an example of something that doesn't exist/has no possibility of existing.

I thought that was pretty sad when I read it, as in "I'm trying to take every little thing and mix it up with religion" sad. :/ I can't add more of a comment, because I think the whole thing speaks for itself. Lol.
You can read the rest of the topic when you go to the link, there were people arguing about when we say "holy sh-t" we don't actually think our sh-t is holy. xD

And the other funny thing I recently read was in the 2nd book in the series UGLIES by Scott Westerfield called "Pretties".
I'm not done with it yet but so far it has mentioned this 3 times, and I'll quote only 2/3 because I only remember two of the pages.
Note - For any of you who don't know this, this book is suppose to be based off way into the future when our generation right now has already destroyed the world.
Rusties = us right now, or "back then" in the book.

"The longer she stayed alone out here [in the wild, by herself], the more Tally understood why the Rusties and their predecessors had believed in invisible beings, praying to placate spirits as they trashed the natural world around them."

[in this one, a bunch of men living out in the wild cought Tally]
"God, he's said. The old Rusty word for their invisible superheroes in the sky.
This was their world out there - this raw, cruel wilderness with its disease and violence and animal struggle for survival."

So what do you guys think about these? O:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 am
User Image

People say "Oh my god" as a figure of speech... a colloquialism. It's ingrained into our culture and people say it without a second thought. The people who insist that it's a sign of our alleged underlying belief are stretching pretty far.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 am
Daffodil the Destroyer

People say "Oh my god" as a figure of speech... a colloquialism. It's ingrained into our culture and people say it without a second thought. The people who insist that it's a sign of our alleged underlying belief are stretching pretty far.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

In Cantonese, there is no equivalent expression that mentions god. Deities simply aren't part of everyday conversation.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:28 pm
User Image
I like to emphasize the my when I say Oh My God. This way there's no doubt I'm talking about Christopher Nolan and not their whatever.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces