Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:33 pm
I'm going to do this in three different posts. OMG TRIPLEPOST surprised

First review is an old PC favorite - Age of Empires: Mythologies DS

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This game plays in the EXACT SAME VEIN as old school Heroes of Might and Magic / Age of Wonders. You move your characters as you see fit, do the necessary upgrades, etc., and then you end your turn, and let your opponent do their turn.

User Image

Whenever you're about to attack someone, an often hilarious analysis of the opponent you're going head up against is determined by the unit attacking, the recipient of the attack, your hps, theirs, etc.

My personal favorite is something along the lines of 'This is the stuff made of kings! They will tremble in fear of your awesome might phar-- Yes, pharaoh. I will try to be less sniveling.'. And that line is to tell you, the player, that there is no chance in hell of the opponent surviving.

Battles are done on the top screen, with offense charging after defense, and defense for the most part just bending over and taking it. After awhile, it shows a chart showing who died, and who came out on top of the battle.

As you can see, the graphics are actually improvements to Age of Mythology. The game retains the original (Not including the expansion's Gods) pantheons, Norse, Egyptian, and Greek, and all the gods in those pantheons that Age of Mythology had. The only difference as far as gameplay goes is the campaign mode, which I admittedly havent really gone through. Too busy kicking my brother's a** on WFC (more on that in a moment)

Control can be done by either the stylus, or the control pad. Touch screen is obviously faster, seeing as anything you could ever need to do is in one little menu. You touch any unit you want (nummy), and you doubletouch the place you want them to go, and then you get a popup with what you could do there. Anything from building to moving, to attacking. Of course, that still depends on what unit you have.

The same, almost Pokemon inspired weakness and resistance system is intact. Myth Units can demolish just about every unit (almost overpowerdly). That is, until you put a Hero up against it. Then it's ******** up like Cheech and Chong at an ICP Gathering (Why they'd go there I dunno).

All heroes have some weird hero power which is usually pretty cool. They're not gamebreaking, but they're not useless either. Speed up, extra damage to enemies, etc.

Unlike the PC version, where you zerg builders after your resource areas, all you have to do here is build a lumber yard, minshaft, etc. Then you build around it, and you get resources!

As for Wifi, you might ask?

Single card play is available, for people who cant afford two copies of a 20 dollar game. I havent even tried a multi-card game, seeing as I dont have two copies of the game...

In single card games, you have the option to play on a map in hell, which you take control of the temples. Whoever has control of the temples for a certain amount of 'turns', is the winner. Of course, you can always just bust out the big guns and ******** up the opponent. And that is usually more fun.

This is one of the better ports Nintendo has done with their systems. There's even unlockables, which you unlock with a sort of achievements system. Similar to XBL achievements, you get points for doing things, like surviving the tutorial, something in wifi, etc.

I hereby declare that this game is the best version of AoM out there.

Go buy it. I give it a 9.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:36 pm
Flood control b***h. xd  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 pm
Our next game is Lit. It's a Wiiware game, and it costs a cool 700 ******** YOU OMEGA, JUST ******** YOU
You're not Weegee, I'll tell you that...

The object of this game is to go from the entrance you start off in, to the other side of the room. That sounds easy, but you have to open just the right amount of lightsources in the room to advance. If you so much as sniff the darkness, you're ********. It literally sucks you in.

Kinda like that...

Generally, you're going to have access to at least two of four things...

1) Something to launch at the windows to make light. Cherry bombs, slingshots, you name it.

2) Your flashlight. It doesnt do much except damage to bosses (More on that later). The only other use is to scout ahead. It's pretty useless, but you get to shake it, and that's always fun. Right?

3) The lightswitches in the game. Light up too many and you short circuit, and have to restart. They range from lamps, to something you shoot at with your slingshot/cherry bomb, etc that miraculously lights the area up.

4) A phone to advance the plot. I s**t you not.

There really isnt a whole lot to this game. Go from one side to the other, ad nauseum UNTIL

NEW CHALLENGER

Boss battles are done strategically. You have to light up the right windows to get the monster to receive damage, and as it walks back to where it was, it runs into another one, and another one, and then you shoot it with your flashlight, and it's dead. It get sucked back into the abyss it came from.

Graphics are impressive, especially because when I think Wiiware I think 'lawl bad graphics'. Surprisingly, every game I've picked up is far from that. They actually tend to look better than some actual games you could pick up. Weird, huh?

Controls are almost a pain to control. It's annoying enough to be annoying, but not annoying enough to be unplayable.

In other words, you'll be fine

In terms of Wiiware games, this one is a great little game you can easily get into and keep playing. It's got that 'I want to finish it' addiction of puzzle games.

I give it a 10. Give it a go, it's only 700 points/7 bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 pm
And finally, our final game is one of the newer Wiiware games.

Snowboard Riot.

You combine the forces that made Cool Borders awesome, and the elements that make Mario Kart awesome, and what do you get? THIS GAME. Read on.

Your objective in this game is to go forth and BOARD. You snowboard down a slight variety of courses, and try to get in first place. There's two different modes of play. Stoic, and Battle.

Battle mode is the Mario Kart-esque portion of the game. You get two weapons, one offensive, and one defensive, and you go forth and BOARD. Weapons range from missiles, homing missiles, discs that kinda remind me of air hockey pucks, shields, mines, etc.

The exclamation point means impending doom of some form...

A surprising twist, is that you can even slightly customize your rider to kind of make up for their shortcomings. Someone slow? Put on some goggles that help that out. Fast, but lackluster otherwise? Put on some other goggles. Unlike regular goggles, these goggles actually DO SOMETHING. There's also cosmetic changes like your beanie, and your outfit.

Doing tricks requires you to hold A, and while pressing a directional (on the analog stick), you jump. Pressing A again does the flip again. Do it too many times and you'll fall embarrassingly.

On the WFC, there's a leaderboard, point system, and everything. You can compete with friends, or against total strangers (which I prefer anyway).

Yippie kay ******** all I can gather from this game. Not meant to be an engaging title, just something to pick up and play (zomg), when you want. Not to mention it also uses the Balance Board, which I imagine is a helluva lot easier to use compared to the way I was playing (Wiimote + Nunchuk). Controls are hard as hell with the wiimote/nunchuk. Again, it's probably easier with the balance board. Seeing as I dont own Wii Fit...

Giving this game an 8. Not quite the awesome Cool Boarders had, not quite the awesome Mario Kart had, yet able to combine the two awesome factors to make a middleground just good enough to be....good.

OK, I'm done. Questions, comments, concerns, quandries, queries go here.

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm
YES LIT.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm
Waynebrizzle
YES LIT.