Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
Grey School of Wizardry Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ame-no-Insomniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:37 pm
Since there is doubtlessly a wide variety of magick users in this guild, I thought I would take the chance to share some information- after all, what other new posts are more interesting than this one? If you can't find another new post, chances are you can't answer. xd

The school was created and is lead by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart (born Timothy Zell), who is a large icon in the pagan community of today. After the big boom in fascination with magick brought on by modern fiction, Headmaster Ravenheart began to appeal to this generation of children. As kids fantasized about stories in Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, they began to wonder if things like these really exist in the world.

The Grey School of Wizardry is an online nonprofit educational organization whose goal is to bring an easily-accessible magickal education to any child or adult who wishes it, and to look toward a future that may enable true magickal universities like those in books of fiction to arise. In addition to having a lighthearted roleplaying atmosphere at times, the school takes its studies very seriously and has a large faculty, provides homework and tests, and even teaches subjects such as Latin, Biology, Religious History, and Mathematics as they relate to magick. It is a nondenominational institution. They have Wiccans, Christians, Taoists, and more (I myself am an Atheist, obviously can also be named Pagan).

I just recently joined the school and it is an excellent community. In addition to costing less than half the subscription price of Xbox Live (which is 60 a year; tuition is 25 a year), the school's curriculum fits disabled persons, people from all countries and backgrounds, and are extremely openminded. No one will force you to do something you haven't agreed to, and respect your opinions.

And I'm on sleeping meds and this has already gone to hell, so I'll quit my telemarketing and go to bed.

All I ask is that you don't discriminate against the school for being "silly" or "wrong." As occultists we're told all the time that no human with a brain should even think of believing what we do, so respect EVERYONE.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 am
I'm curious about the maths-as-it-relates-to-magick bit. What kind of things does he talk about in that respect?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 pm
Mitsh
I'm curious about the maths-as-it-relates-to-magick bit. What kind of things does he talk about in that respect?

This is hella delayed.

But basically, it talks about Pythagorean Mysteries and Numerology. They get into the really esoteric aspects of the Pythagorean system.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 pm
Oberon is a crack-pot who just wishes to believe that he is Dumbledore. I am against the entire thing, that is all I am going to say about this. Tim takes a tradition of magic (wizardry) and bastardizes it and parades it around like it's Harry Potter.  

Cunning Witch Angus

xxravenohayexx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm
It is true that he is creating a Hogwarts in his own back yard, but think about it this way : He is indeed a certified occultist, a reputable one at that, and is only taking the Harry Potter spin in order to attract a younger group of students/purveyors.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:19 pm
xxravenohayexx
It is true that he is creating a Hogwarts in his own back yard, but think about it this way : He is indeed a certified occultist, a reputable one at that, and is only taking the Harry Potter spin in order to attract a younger group of students/purveyors.

That said, would you really want students in your group who're attracted by the Harry Potter spin, and not by the allure of magick itself?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:25 pm
Mitsh
xxravenohayexx

That said, would you really want students in your group who're attracted by the Harry Potter spin, and not by the allure of magick itself?

I can see where you're coming from with that, Mitsh.

But at the same times, if they are only attracted by the herry potter spin, they aren't likely to stick with it anyway.

Perhaps they just use Harry Potter as a starting point for cultivating actual interest in the occult in young people.

Modern Christian-based society has painted the occult into the ultimate evil. Harry potter, while loosely based on the occult, is a much more friendly, and less-hated "in" to the actual meat and bones of the occult.

I see it as a way of "easing them into" the occult. Teaching them that it isn't all summoning demons and cursing people.

I was actually a member of Grey School for a short time. It is interesting for a beginner, but I found it to be too structured, slow-paced, and juvenile. It is intended for 11-18 year olds, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm
Might I add that Oberon Zell's book Grimoire for the Wizard Apprentice does in fact contain accurate spell charts and magician tables? Could this could help a younger crowd become more interested in such book as 777 and Ar Goetia?  

xxravenohayexx

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:45 am
This pickled vegetable...

You cannot learn a complicated craft like magic off the internet no matter how good a teaching site you're on. Its like trying to learn martial arts from a book, you just can't do it.

Secondly, anyone who does anything commercially (start a school, publish books, etr) under their craft name is full of melty jack cheese and should not be taken as a reliable source of information. Sally Straightforward and Joe-Bob Normalname are more likely to know what they're talking about than Suzy Specialfluff or Faeking Attentionheart.

... could kick your a** !!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 am
xxravenohayexx
Might I add that Oberon Zell's book Grimoire for the Wizard Apprentice does in fact contain accurate spell charts and magician tables?

Except that its always better for practitioners to write their own spells instead of using the pre-made, mass-produced, generic and contextless spells of a stranger. Spells and rituals must be tailor made for the actual practitioner, a person cannot take any old spell from any old book and expect it to work the way they want it to (or work at all for that matter).

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Adice_Adice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm
Renkon Root
xxravenohayexx
Might I add that Oberon Zell's book Grimoire for the Wizard Apprentice does in fact contain accurate spell charts and magician tables?

Except that its always better for practitioners to write their own spells instead of using the pre-made, mass-produced, generic and contextless spells of a stranger. Spells and rituals must be tailor made for the actual practitioner, a person cannot take any old spell from any old book and expect it to work the way they want it to (or work at all for that matter).

A some what late reply but yah.

What you are saying about the cookie cutter spells is not entirely true. I for one would not want the targeted demographic of the school(11-1 cool attempting to put there own spin on the geotia. Having only had at max seven years of training and likely less in the art of demon lore.

I say that people should stick with the cookie cutter spells and generic magic(k) until it actually dawns on them that things would work better for them if they did it this way or that. This way they are guaranteed to advance only when they are ready(and possibly capable.)

As far as the this school goes i have seen better. such as the arcanorium college and another one that seemed to deal mainly with Norris magic for what ever reason.(can't remember name).

As to being able to learn magic(k) from the Internet or a book. i will have you know that i self taught my self up to a third gup in taekwondo with nothing more then a few books and the Internet.(i then later joined an actual class and so that is how i know what level i was at.)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:17 pm
I have both the Grimoire and the Companion in my magickal library, and it's one of the best introductory books I think could be available to those just beginning their studies. Yes, it's a bit juvenile, but when someone is just beginning to learn it, they can't be expected to be reading advanced material, reciting Latin, writing their own in-depth invocations, etc.
When I started out, I only had the internet, a Witches' Almanac, a book on Vampirism, and my tarot deck. Had I found the Grimoire and the Companion when I started out, it would have helped me along immensely, but I instead was piecing together my own knowledge of the Craft with a computer and barely-basic books.

I won't preach, but website aside, the actual books of Grey School are wonderful books to introduce someone into Magickal studies. Yeah they do reference Harry Potter a lot, but like it was said - if someone came to it from something like that, they would eventually put aside fantasy for true magick through studying and learning.
If not...they learn the hard way of being ridiculed by fellow practitioners who actually know what they're doing. It's the "fluffy bunny" cycle. sweatdrop

Little Mothling

Feral Fairy

8,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 pm
Thanks for posting! I've kind of bounced the idea around about enrolling or not. Got told by a person or two that it was great! Still not sure for myself, but...it atleast helps to hear from real students of the place.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:59 pm
Renkon Root

Secondly, anyone who does anything commercially (start a school, publish books, etr) under their craft name is full of melty jack cheese and should not be taken as a reliable source of information.]

It's not commercial. It's a not-for-profit.  

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am
Gandalf_the_Girl
Renkon Root

Secondly, anyone who does anything commercially (start a school, publish books, etr) under their craft name is full of melty jack cheese and should not be taken as a reliable source of information.]

It's not commercial. It's a not-for-profit.
Mind me, if it's a not for profit, why are they receiving $25 a year, thats quite a hefty fee for just site fees...
There are many ways to learn about the occult. I myself started my own "school" or guild however I don't charge people for it.

He may be certified, but all of this is starting to smell like a week old sardine.  
The Café (General Chat)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff