Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zombina Corpse
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 pm
HUZZUH.
I started my sleeve in July 2008, and I finally got some more stuff added to it yesterday and today {02/25/09 & 02/26/09}, so I've decided to make a thread dedicated to the progress of my sleeve. Woohoo!

User Image

CLOSE UP PICTURES
:: Part One - July 2008
:: Part Two - September 2008
:: Part Three - February 2009
:: Part Four - February 2009 & Here

NEW

User Image
This picture was taken after the color was freshly done, and I bled a ton, so it was pretty crusty and gross looking at first. LOL XD
I'll admit that the inside of the arm is not a very fun spot to be tattooed, and when I went in to get some coloring done, I was kind of a p***y about it and wasn't able to sit through too much. =/ I think a lot had to do with the fact that the outline for the inside of my arm wasn't completely healed before my artist decided to start adding some color, so the skin was more sensitive than it normally would have been.

NEXT
Currently we're just concentrating on finishing the top half of the sleeve with color and extra detail. After that we'll just be working on ideas for how we can take it down to the forearm.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:28 pm
My roommate has a coy fish on one of his calfs.  

dadsdadsdads

Big Fairy

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 am
That's looking pretty sweet! =D Have fun with the inner arm! lol  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 am
Wow! that looks AWESOME!  

Dysphoric Melody
Crew

Aged Bloodsucker

Lance Castle
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:57 pm
That looks awesome and all but Im curious, why a Koi fish, or however you spell it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 am
In Chinese mythology, a koi travels up a waterfall in attempt to reach the top. When a koi does reach the top, it evolves into a dragon - an important and sacred creature in Chinese culture.
To me, the story has a lot to do with personal growth and advancement. I feel that the Chinese story about the koi becoming a dragon can also be used to describe the story of Zarathustra in Friedrich Nietzsche's book, 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'. Zarathustra is an average man, trying to become the übermensch/overman, and ultimately overcoming himself and man.

I'm really big into Nietzsche and his philosophy. Thus Spoke Zarathustra is not only my favorite book, but also an important one to me because it explains how important it is for man to overcome himself. I also love that Nietzsche purposely dedicated Thus Spoke Zarathustra as a book for none and all. Not everyone can live their life to overcome themselves, and not everyone should. It is not a philosophy meant for everyone or the everyday man.

"Man is something which ought to be overcome."

In case you're wondering, yes I plan to add a dragon to the tattoo eventually. I'd like to extend the tattoo to my top left shoulder on my back, and have the dragon placed there. I don't plan on doing that anytime soon though, as I don't think I've come close to overcoming myself yet.

Zombina Corpse
Captain

Lance Castle
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 am
Oh wow thats really interesting.
Id never heard the story of the Koi fish before, I love it. Even as I read it I was picture how I could work in a tattoo with a Koi fish in it.

You feel very passionately about this dont you?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 pm
I read about the story in a book I have that discusses the history behind certain tattoos. I was really moved by it and right away reminded of Nietzsche's story. razz

Yeah, I'm pretty passionate about it. It's something that I take seriously and feel that others should too, if they decide to look into it themselves.

Zombina Corpse
Captain

Lance Castle
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:47 pm
What exactly is the name of your book?
And who is this Nietzsche guy?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:46 pm
Posted a new picture of some recent work I got done, check it out in my first post. n___n

<3

@Lance Castle: The book that I think you're asking about is called "Ink", and I'd link you to a Wiki or Amazon page if I could find it, but I can't. Anywho, it basically goes through the most common categories for tattoos {mythical, animal, text, etc} and describes the origin of those ideas.

Friedrich Nietzsche is a famous German philosopher that lived from 1844-1900. One of his more famous works is a book called "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", where the main character goes on a life-long journey to better himself and become something greater than human.
So like I said in a previous post, the folk-tale about koi fish swimming up a waterfall and evolving into a dragon if they make it to the top reminds me of personal growth and advancement like Nietzsche described.

Zombina Corpse
Captain

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:39 am
Swank, I like the inky brush looking lines.  
Tattoos

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games