Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Wii's Composite > Component?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syn of Sin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 am

I finally purchased my Wii Component cables for my 32" 720p HDTV, with high anticipation to the wii's performance.

Composite cables output a 480i resolution, while component cables output a 480p resolution.

I'm no genius. but I'm pretty sure Component cables are supposed to be a better resolution.

After changing my Wii's settings for the HDTV, the first thing I take notice to or the horizontal lines in the black background. I shrugged it away, and started to play Twilight Princess. I see those same lines everywhere! Dx

Did I goof up on something? Or is the Wii's Composite cables really better than the component?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 am
inb4WiirNotHD

I'd go for Composites just in case that P makes that much of a difference.  

Decavolty

Quotable Player

5,350 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Syn of Sin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 am

After switching back and forth between my settings, I noticed that component does have higher detail quality. It's just those lines that bug me. But the composite is blurrier, and a little more pixel distorted.

Does someone know if there's a way to fix those lines? >_>;

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:35 am
Syn Angellus

After switching back and forth between my settings, I noticed that component does have higher detail quality. It's just those lines that bug me. But the composite is blurrier, and a little more pixel distorted.

It sounds like it's your TV. I have an HD TV and I play Wii games in full screen and virtual console games in aspect and they both work perfectly. :/  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Syn of Sin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:55 am
NintendOmega
Syn Angellus

It sounds like it's your TV. I have an HD TV and I play Wii games in full screen and virtual console games in aspect and they both work perfectly. :/

What's your TV's resolution?
I was thinking it could be because it's a 720p, and the Wii's HD settings are for 420p.
Mine's also set for widescreen, if that helps..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 pm
I wish that the Wii had better graphics.

In my family room, I have a 54' Toshiba LCD HD-TV (flat/wide screen), with 1080i resolution. It would work great with an Xbox360 or PS3. The Wii graphics are good, but not great.  

Dude-LAP

Tatsuman

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:29 pm
I hear games will have lag on HDTVs without Component cables. Probably not noticeable for most games except fighters or shooters, but it's something to be aware of.

No idea how to help with your problem though. =(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:06 pm
Tatsuman
I hear games will have lag on HDTVs without Component cables. Probably not noticeable for most games except fighters or shooters, but it's something to be aware of.

No idea how to help with your problem though. =(

Well I have gotten a pretty noticeable amount of lag while playing SSBB on my HDTV, during 4 player multiplayer Wifi matches. But I heard that happens to everybody...  

Dude-LAP

misternitsua

IRL Feeder

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:30 pm
I use a component cable for our Wii on a 1080p LCD TV, and it works just fine. The only problem I ever had with the cables is that when I plugged the Xbox 360 segment into our 360 at the same time as the Wii was plugged in. While it was plugged in to the 360, the screen for the Wii would be noticeably darker and there would be no sound to it. I fixed it by unplugging the component cable from the 360 and using a HDMI cable for it instead.

In other words, since I can't find HDMI for the Wii, component is my favorite for the Wii. However, I think HDMI does noticeably better than the other stuff I've tried.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:33 pm
i really see no point in HD for Wii. it really doesn't make much difference.  

Xilo The Odd

misternitsua

IRL Feeder

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:52 pm
~Xiloscent~

You obviously haven't played Metroid Prime 3 on both SD and HD TVs. With the majority of Nintendo's first-party software that supports HD, it makes a noticeable difference. On the other hand, if you're playing a game that doesn't support HD, the games tend to look worse on HD. You'll get one of these effects when playing non-HD games on an HDTV:

1. Non-HD games usually don't support widescreen, so the aspect ratio will be off, which always bothers me.
2. Non-HD games will tend to look much blurrier on HDTV than on a SDTV.
3. If you're playing a non-HD game on a system that can be set to always adjust what it plays to compensate for the TV being widescreen and HD (e.g. the PS3), the game will be extremely pixelated.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:18 am
misternitsua
~Xiloscent~

You obviously haven't played Metroid Prime 3 on both SD and HD TVs. With the majority of Nintendo's first-party software that supports HD, it makes a noticeable difference. On the other hand, if you're playing a game that doesn't support HD, the games tend to look worse on HD. You'll get one of these effects when playing non-HD games on an HDTV:

1. Non-HD games usually don't support widescreen, so the aspect ratio will be off, which always bothers me.
3. If you're playing a non-HD game on a system that can be set to always adjust what it plays to compensate for the TV being widescreen and HD (e.g. the PS3), the game will be extremely pixelated.

Current generation games are all HD-compatible. The only consoles that show those side-effects are the playstation 2, original XBox, and the Gamecube. Of course, any console before these, as well.

The Wii's HD limit is 480p. HDMI is pointless for it, since it has no 720p and higher resolutions. Even on the 360 and PS3, there's not too many games that are 1080p resolution. Most of those are only up to 720p.

Syn of Sin

misternitsua

IRL Feeder

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:05 am
Syn Angellus
misternitsua
~Xiloscent~

Current generation games are all HD-compatible. The only consoles that show those side-effects are the playstation 2, original XBox, and the Gamecube. Of course, any console before these, as well.

The Wii's HD limit is 480p. HDMI is pointless for it, since it has no 720p and higher resolutions. Even on the 360 and PS3, there's not too many games that are 1080p resolution. Most of those are only up to 720p.

I guess I didn't make this clear: not all Wii games are HD. Examples include Rayman Raving Rabbids and Rig Racer 2. Whenever I played them, the aspect ratio got all stretched out and the games were somewhat blurry.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm
~Xiloscent~

Well the main point is it's too bad that the Wii won't utilize all the capabilities of an HDTV.  

Dude-LAP

V1SUAL K31

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 pm
HOLY s**t IT'S BISON!

*Shinku Hadouken*  
'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items