Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
[Discussion] Guild Economy Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:11 pm
Does anyone else think there are fewer guild sales happening now? Is it just me?

The market seems to be shriveling up!

This is highly unexpected. The global economy is stuck in the U-bend of the US' plumbing, so naturally the citizens of the world retreat to online hangouts like Gaia, Twitter and Neopets. This should provide billions of dollars' worth of stimulus to the flailing guild market.

So what's going on?

Is this a characteristically slow response to not-so-recent events, like the deactivation of the Captains' Guild, or Lanzer's passing remark about the hint of the merest suggestion of a possibility that guilds would be free in GGN 3.0?

Is this merely a reflection of the crashing value of guilds? We all know that 20k isn't what it used to be. The market is flooded, and the trend of resellers offering obligatory discounts has led to formerly too-good-to-refuse offers being barely enough to catch a buyer's attention.

Or is this all in my imagination? Ooooooh.

Discuss smile heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:13 pm
Also, if you're looking to sell...

I'm in the market for a quality, low-ID guild, am prepared to offer my entire share portfolio.

WindowOpener

I Just Wont Die

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:36 pm
I think it's a consequence of the market being filled to saturation point. By now, most people who want to start a guild have one lounging around collecting dust anyways; it's like starter clothing by this point.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 pm
Hm... I can't say I've really been in a position to notice. Maybe we are just reusing guilds... Would probably be a good thing, considering making a new one takes up space when clearing out an old unwanted one wouldn't.  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Conan The Barbie Doll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:13 pm
Free guilds? My goodness. eek I hope that doesn't happen!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:28 pm
I wonder how much IRL economy affects Gaia economy though, since there definitely are a lot of people purchasing pixels with real cash and selling them on the Gaia Marketplace.

And I wonder how great an effect that would have on the guild market. Probably not much, but ehh...  

shall she sail seas

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 am
Just check the Guilds forum instead of Registered guilds. I spent a few days just reporting Guilds forum threads under misplaced. I thought a mod would tell me to stop, instead I think I got three thank yous. eek I wouldn't think that it would help, almost every thread under 20 pages can be reported, those are the only ones I check.

*shrug*

Anyway, PLENTY of selling threads there, unless someone realized I haven't been even looking in that forum to report for a few days; and decided to check it themselves.

WO's name is black now? o_O  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:35 pm
LillianSaire
Just check the Guilds forum instead of Registered guilds. I spent a few days just reporting Guilds forum threads under misplaced. I thought a mod would tell me to stop, instead I think I got three thank yous. eek I wouldn't think that it would help, almost every thread under 20 pages can be reported, those are the only ones I check.

*shrug*

Anyway, PLENTY of selling threads there, unless someone realized I haven't been even looking in that forum to report for a few days; and decided to check it themselves.

WO's name is black now? o_O

I'm confused. Did I miss a memo somewhere? What's this reporting issue have to do about the economy?  

shall she sail seas

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:32 pm
The point was that the selling threads aren't where they belong, so if the suggestion that guilds are not being sold much is based on the Registered guilds forum, then the data is skewed and should include misplaced threads, such as the abundant amount in the Guilds forum.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 am
Maybe this isn't entirely relevant, but now would seem like another opportune time to find a large, obtuse kitchen appliance, and hunt the clever person whose bright idea it was to make Registered Guilds a subforum of the Guilds forum.

Aquariums gets its own forum, but the GGN doesn't?
Is it because it isn't possible yet to buy a guild for $5 that deactivates itself in a fortnight?

And I won't mention the Captains' Guild here, although I do hope this clever person's input on the affairs of guilds in the future is, you know, deactivated.

More on topic, I hadn't visited Guilds so I didn't know about the volume of misplaced GGN-related threads there. Having taken a look, it seems remarkably similar to RG, though - nearly exclusively ad threads, with the occasional buy or sell thread. (Although unlike RG, it looks like some different and relevant threads are sometimes posted accidentally.)  

WindowOpener

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:41 am
Didn't you once say that the Captains' Guild was too exclusive and left hte RG forum vacant?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm
Sure, but in its current state, Registered Guilds is capable of being largely vacant all on its own. ^^;

The Captains' Guild was closed with a commitment to make additions to Registered Guilds. There was heaps of overlap between the two, but the CG was more effective in most areas thanks to its organisation (RG's specialty was, and still is, ads). So the ideal solution would be to remove one and organise the other one to accommodate everything. But if you just remove one, and do nothing else, then... well, you're just left with less. It's a step backward for the GGN community. As the joke goes, the admins have two speeds when it comes to steering the GGN ship: slow, and reverse.  

WindowOpener

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 pm
Good point!

They should have set up RG, behind the scenes or already enacted, before closing the Cappy guild. That would have offered more time to transfer guides. I loved some of those guides.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:58 pm
Hear hear! whee  

WindowOpener

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 pm
LillianSaire
The point was that the selling threads aren't where they belong, so if the suggestion that guilds are not being sold much is based on the Registered guilds forum, then the data is skewed and should include misplaced threads, such as the abundant amount in the Guilds forum.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

However as a noob (I've only been on Gaia for a little over 6 months), maybe you guys could enlighten me on the whole misplaced thread fiasco that's going on beween Guilds and Registered Guilds. Am I correct in perceiving that Guilds is for discussion while Registered Guilds is for advertising?  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff