So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Your First Time... Gaming. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Were you playing vidjagames before you could read?
  Yes; text-heavy games helped me learn
  Yes; but only simple ones I could understand without reading too much
  No; my parents wouldn't let me
  No; I didn't get interested/introduced until later
  i dunno ahurr
View Results

5ir Psycho 5exy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 am
We all had to start somewhere. And the moment of discovery was probably one of the most epic moments in your gaming career, was it not? So, can you remember your first time?

I was about two years old when I had my first encounter with Nintendo, and I probably only remember it so well because I've seen the videotape and heard the story countless times. xd My mom had to go to the grocery store to pick up something for dinner, so she left me with her best friend across the street, who had a 3-year-old boy. He was playing Super Mario Bros 3 on his NES. He paused it to go to the bathroom, and I, who had been watching both his hands and the screen intently, toddled over, picked up his controller upside-down, and started arbitrarily pressing buttons (Lucky for him, the 'start' button apparently wasn't one of them). When he came back, he noticed my eagerness to play, and took me to level 4 as a cruel joke, vaguely explaining the controls. After I'd lost a few lives, he said "Ok, my turn," but I didn't want to give up. And so... I tried my damnedest to make the first jump -- and succeeded! Mind you, I didn't make the next jump, and he threw a temper tantrum because that was his last life, but at least I got it right.

A few weeks later I was almost as good as he was (which, considering our ages, still wasn't very good. xd ). We never managed to beat the game until much later, when I got a copy of Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES I'd begged my parents/picked up a shitload of extra chores for, but Level 4 is still one of my favorite levels.

So, when and how did you take your first steps into the world of virtual reality?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 am
Oh boy, this is probably the reason I love Nintendo so very much. You see, as a kid, I had looked at video games and gone: 'Wow! Those look amazing!'. For years and years I had seen trailers for awesome looking games, and longing to play some. For years this went on, and I still had no console. My parents wouldn't buy me one, and with the pocket money i was getting back then it would take years to save up enough. When I was seven however, my sister bought herself a Game Boy. She kept it to herself most of the time, but when she let me play Super Mario Land, I instantly fell in love with gaming. Not long after tat I got an N64 for Christmas. Imagine, you're about seven or eight years old, you've been longing to play video games most of your life, you've only just played a Game Boy game and it's the only game you've ever played. Suddenly, on Christmas day, YOU GET AN N64 AND SUPER MARIO 64! Good lord, I was so happy I was almost doing a re-enactment of the N64 kid. When I booted up the game it felt magical! I remember those days. One game would last you about a month because you were s**t at them. Oh, happy days. These days I get a lot of pocket money, so getting a new game is pretty 'meh'. You get it, not a big deal, complete it within two or three days, and then it sits on the shelf with your thirty other Wii games. I wish I was crap at video games again.  

Super Cheesio

Zephiur

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:54 am
My first moment wasn't as epic as y'alls, but it was a milestone.

I was sitting in the living room, watching my Grandpa play Super Mario Bros. 3 on his NES. He asked me if I wanted to try. Hell yes! I had the controller in my hands and started pressing buttons to see what they did. Once I familiarized myself with the controls, I pwned the level he was on. (well, maybe a tad of exaggeration)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 am
Super Cheesio
Oh boy, this is probably the reason I love Nintendo so very much. You see, as a kid, I had looked at video games and gone: 'Wow! Those look amazing!'. For years and years I had seen trailers for awesome looking games, and longing to play some. For years this went on, and I still had no console. My parents wouldn't buy me one, and with the pocket money i was getting back then it would take years to save up enough. When I was seven however, my sister bought herself a Game Boy. She kept it to herself most of the time, but when she let me play Super Mario Land, I instantly fell in love with gaming. Not long after tat I got an N64 for Christmas. Imagine, you're about seven or eight years old, you've been longing to play video games most of your life, you've only just played a Game Boy game and it's the only game you've ever played. Suddenly, on Christmas day, YOU GET AN N64 AND SUPER MARIO 64! Good lord, I was so happy I was almost doing a re-enactment of the N64 kid. When I booted up the game it felt magical! I remember those days. One game would last you about a month because you were s**t at them. Oh, happy days. These days I get a lot of pocket money, so getting a new game is pretty 'meh'. You get it, not a big deal, complete it within two or three days, and then it sits on the shelf with your thirty other Wii games. I wish I was crap at video games again.
Haha, I remember when I got my N64 too. xd They bought it cause my stepdad wanted it, and they made me read the whole safety manual before I was even allowed to touch it. We got Diddy Kong Racing with ours; I'm still not bored with that game. xd

It still takes me forever to beat a new game. Unless I get completely hooked on the storyline (read: WEWY) I'll spend the majority of my gaming time dicking around and doing whatever I like best instead of focusing on completion. I think I have like, 40 hours (mostly having epic horseback battles with the pig-rider guys north of Kakariko) on TP, and I only just made it to the snowy mansion. sweatdrop  

5ir Psycho 5exy

WylrPnufh

4,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:00 pm
Hmmm. Let's see here.
My first encounter with gaming, was when I was being babysat by my grandma's friend. She has a son, who was about... 7 years old at the time. Maybe younger.
I could think. Not going to.
I was 3.

I was watching him play NES, and I kept trying to play, but he told me I was little, and a girl, so I couldn't.

Finally, after a near hissy fit on my behalf, and from his mom's threat, he let me play.
It was a Mario game. I don't know which.
I don't remember this myself. XD. I still see his mom, and she told me.
He died in a Four-Wheeler accident last April.

My first encounter with a non-Nintendo system, is when my friend came over for the day, and brought a Sega game. I'd never seen a Sega, and at this point, had a SNES.
He SWORE it would fit in my SNES

Guess what.

I needed a new Super Nintendo after that day.

xd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:03 pm
I remember playing the first Mario and Zelda games for the original Nintendo before I was in school! I never really got far on Zelda but I could get past my mom and beat the first dungeon all by myself, other then that I don't remember much. And when it comes to Mario I know I did pretty good, I could at least get to the warp pipes in 1-2 so I didn't totally suck. heart Plus I had one of the first game boys with Killer Instinct and Mario 6 golden coins. That was the first game I ever beat but I still can't beat it whenever I play it at my cousins house. =(  

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

RoseSpirit

5,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:16 pm
My dad started buying me computer games when I was very little, so when I saw my friend's N64 at age 5 or 6 I knew I wanted a piece of that action. XD He had Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye, and we (read: him playing, me watching) had lots of fun getting through levels while doing really random stuff, like provoking enemies to have them chase us. XD

Then I all but forgot how cool platform games were, until another friend showed me HIS N64, and actually let me play up to the Kokiri's Emerald in OoT. That... was when I knew I had to buy some of these vidjamagames for myself, since my parents didn't really approve of them. But I did. And the rest is history. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 pm
My first time was when I was three. It felt so funny. redface  

bloodsoaked

melonkuma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 pm
This thread makes me feel kinda old XD
I got started off playing Atari games when I was 2.. I still vividly remember playing Asteroids and such with my parents. For my 4th birthday, we finally got a NES with Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Punch-Out!, and some racing game. I knew my way around those games so well.. since I played with it every day and we only had four different games to choose from. I remember being so obsessed that I got night terrors dreaming of Mario getting bigger and bigger and stepping on things. And, of course, my interest in gaming has only grown since then.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:57 pm
Man, I remember watching my Dad playing Myst before anything. Scared the living s**t outta me. Had nightmares about it forever.

But my first time gaming was on the gamebrick, Super Mario Land.

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

Buddha_Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:07 pm
I started gaming before I was born.

Mom would stay up all hours of the night playing Dr. Mario while she was pregnant with me, because she couldn't get to sleep.

Often dragging Dad out of bed so they could play versus.

So Dr. Mario and Mario Bros/ Duck Hurt were my first games.

We lived in a small trailer until I was 4, so there wasn't much to do besides playing games with my parents.

I still remember Dad and I failing horribly at the Mario Bros level where you're on a bridge running from the flying Cheep Cheeps.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:09 pm
Betman
Man, I remember watching my Dad playing Myst before anything. Scared the living s**t outta me. Had nightmares about it forever.

Haha, my stepdad played Alone in the Dark a lot. Scared the s**t out of me; I only recently mustered up the courage to watch the gameplay vids, and now it just makes me lol. I think I've only ever gotten my dad, however, to hold a controller once, and it was recently: he took a shot at Wii Bowling and almost hit the cat with my poor projectile Wiimote. xd  

5ir Psycho 5exy

The Betgirl

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:12 pm
-Zephyrotica-
Betman

Haha, my stepdad played Alone in the Dark a lot. Scared the s**t out of me; I only recently mustered up the courage to watch the gameplay vids, and now it just makes me lol. I think I've only ever gotten my dad, however, to hold a controller once, and it was recently: he took a shot at Wii Bowling and almost hit the cat with my poor projectile Wiimote. xd
Well, the thing was, you could pick a book to release one of the brothers, who were convincing you that they weren't bad people. My dad knew there was a 3rd book, but he wanted to see what happened when you picked one of the first two. Scared the s**t outta me, because they trap you in the book, and then burn it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:14 pm
I may or may not have started out on the Atari. I know we have two of them and my dad loved it to death, but I don't know if I actually played it. My earliest memories are of my mom's stepdad's NES and Super Mario Bros. (1 and 3) and Gyromite (but alas, he had no R.O.B.). My first game of my own was an NES my parents picked up at an estate sale, so my first solid memories of actually playing are Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. As for the first console I owned brand-new, my parents got me a Genesis for Christmas one year with the full Sonic the Hedgehog series. You know, before 3D Blast. I had a friend who had a Genesis and I didn't know anyone with a Super Nintendo, and I was blissfully unaware of the war between the consoles and of the awesome games the SNES had to offer, so I missed out on it entirely and didn't return to Nintendo until Pokemon dragged me back to the GBC and N64, where I discovered Zelda. And while those are firsts (first brand-new Nintendo systems), they're pretty far off from my first time gaming.

For a frame of reference, I'm 21.  

GuruGuru214

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:38 pm
According to what my Grandma says. I started playing when I was three though I wasn't very good at it. I've seen a couple pictures of me playing but can't really make it out what game I'm playing I know it was on the Nes but that is it.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff