Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
So I'm playing Twilight Princess for the first time, and... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syn of Sin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 am

I'm lost. Where or when does this game take place in the Zelda games timeline?

Link's an adult, and it's as if he's starting his adventure for the first time all over again. First-time meetings with Princess Zelda and Ganondorf, mysteriously starting off already in of Epona---

Does any of this get answered at a point in the game? :/
I'm not asking to be spoiled, though. If the explanation exists in the game, I'll gladly wait eagerly. But if there's no explanation in the game, I would love some insight. ]:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 am
Syn Angellus

Link's an adult, and it's as if he's starting his adventure for the first time all over again. First-time meetings with Princess Zelda and Ganondorf, mysteriously starting off already in of Epona---

I'm not asking to be spoiled, though. If the explanation exists in the game, I'll gladly wait eagerly. But if there's no explanation in the game, I would love some insight. ]:
Silly Syn.
Zelda timeline is ******** up as to understand it.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.
Basically, above, those are all different Links. The true Link originated in the NES I, Not sure about OoT, might be a recreation of I or a new Link, LTTP is a new Link, TP is a new Link, WW/PH is a new Link.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:05 am
Here is a simple answer.
Besides(as far as I know) Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask and Windwaker & Phantom Hourglass it is a new Link every game.

Twilight Princess takes place 100 years after the kid timeline of Ocarina of Time. Windwaker on the other hand is 100 years after the adult timeline.

Your Link in Twilight Princess is a teenage farm boy leading a fairly normal life, who does sword training with his mentor Rusl.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:09 am
auS-e-Dude
Syn Angellus

Silly Syn.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.
Basically, above, those are all different Links. The true Link originated in the NES I, Not sure about OoT, might be a recreation of I or a new Link, LTTP is a new Link, TP is a new Link, WW/PH is a new Link.

A Link to the Past is supposed to be a prequal to the first two NES Zelda's, where Ocarina of Time is supposedly a prequal even further in the past to A Link to the Past.

But Wind Waker and such take place hundreds of years after those events, connecting the two games when they referenced the "Hero of Time"'s absence, making it necessary to flood Hyrule.

This is as much as I put together. Never played Phantom Hourglass, though.

So Twilight Princess is yet another new Link all together? :/
So sick of this cliche "Hero Reincarnation" feel. At least, that's how it feels like to me. Oh well.

Syn of Sin

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:22 am
auS-e-Dude
Syn Angellus

Silly Syn.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.

Wrong Sir. Ocarina of Time is the very first Zelda in the storyline. Shigeru Miyamoto, producer of the Zelda series, stated in an issue of Nintendo power that Ocarina of Time was the first game chronologically in 1998.

Based on the most commonly known and confirmed timeline details found in this article, the below portions of the timeline are all generally accepted, but how these games connect is frequently debated.

Ocarina of Time (Adult Timeline) --> The Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass

Ocarina of Time (Child Timeline) --> Majora's Mask --> Twilight Princess

The Minish Cap --> Four Swords --> Four Swords Adventures (currently unconfirmed if other games occur between these titles, i.e. between TMC and FS)

A Link to the Past --> Link's Awakening

The Legend of Zelda --> Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (usually placed after the above two)

Oracle of Seasons <--> Oracle of Ages (can happen in either order)

All info I have gotten is from Zeldapedia.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 am
KyuubiNaruto4
auS-e-Dude
Syn Angellus

Silly Syn.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.

That makes no sense.
SPOILARZ: At the end of OoT, Zelda takes back Link to when Link meets Zelda for the first time again. So how does MM come into it, if Link relives his adulthood?  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 am
auS-e-Dude
KyuubiNaruto4
auS-e-Dude
Syn Angellus

Silly Syn.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.

That makes no sense.
SPOILARZ: At the end of OoT, Zelda takes back Link to when Link meets Zelda for the first time again. So how does MM come into it, if Link relives his adulthood?

Adult Timeline:
The events of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time take place. When Link pulls the Master Sword from its pedestal and is sealed for seven years, he unintentionally lets Ganondorf enter the Sacred Realm and steal the Triforce of Power. Ganondorf then goes on to conquer Hyrule, but Link (who had awakened after seven years as the Hero of Time) defeats him. Subsequently, Ganondorf is sealed in the Sacred Realm by the Seven Sages. As his tasks are done, Link is sent back in time by Princess Zelda to relive his lost years, and the Child Timeline is presumably formed. An unspecified amount of time after being sealed, Ganondorf escapes from the Sacred Realm and threatens Hyrule once again. Without the Hero of Time to protect Hyrule, the Gods are forced to flood Hyrule. Centuries later, the events of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and later The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, unfold. Another theory states that in the opening sequence of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Link and Tetra are searching for a land which they could call a new Hyrule. (This theory also opens up the fact that the Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap may be the new Hyrule Link and Tetra were searching for, putting it a few generations ahead, and explaining Link and Zelda's friendship in the game. Seeing that The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures clearly comes after Minish Cap, it remains unexplained how they returned to the regular Hyrule.)

It is possible that in this timeline, Skull Kid never got the chance to steal Majora's Mask so Majora's ruin of the lives of the citizens of Termina never took place in this timeline, therefore Odolwa, Goht, Gyorg, and Twinmold never existed. As Ganondorf was never sealed away in the Realm of Twilight, it is unknown what became of Zant in this timeline, but as he couldn't have gotten his power without Ganondorf, it is unlikely he could have caused any serious trouble.

Child Timeline:

Link, who has been returned to his childhood from the Adult Timeline, has a little talk with Princess Zelda, warning her (and presumably the rest of Hyrule) of Ganondorf's true intentions and as a result of this their relationship with Ganondorf changes. Because of this it was decided that Ganondorf be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. Sometime afterward, Ganondorf is exposed, subdued, and brought to justice.[2] and the Ancient Sages try to execute him; however, because he bears the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf survives the attempt and breaks free of his shackles, killing one of the Sages in the process. The remaining Sages manage to seal Ganondorf into the Twilight Realm, setting up events for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is also thought to be placed in this timeline, a short while after Ocarina-Link warns Hyrule of Ganondorf's treachery, due to the fact that Epona is now ridable.

How the older games on the NES and Super Nintendo fit into this timeline has not been made completely clear as of yet. Although hints have been dropped in the more recent titles, the way people react to these hints has lead to a wide array of different theories (for example, some say that all of the older titles occur after The Wind Waker, others that Wind Waker's 'Alternate' Imprisoning War legend suggests that they take place after Twilight Princess with Four Swords Adventures bridging the gap, others still that the NES and SNES adventures are split over either timeline). Ganondorf is the king of evil in every game.

Since Ganondorf was trapped inside the Realm of Twilight, it is likely that Volvagia was never revived in this timeline, Phantom Ganon and Morpha were never created, and Bongo Bongo never made it out of the well. However, the fate of Koume and Kotake is shown in the Oracle games. Also, the bosses of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker never existed in this timeline.

That answer your question? If not after Link warned Zelda of what Ganondorf was planning and he was arrested. Link assumed Hyrule was safe for now and went on a personal journey to find a friend he lost, that was the original purpose of the journey at the beginning says so during the beginning of MM. I assume that the friend was Navi since she/(maybe he) left when Zelda sent Link back to his childhood.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 am
KyuubiNaruto4

It is possible that in this timeline, Skull Kid never got the chance to steal Majora's Mask so Majora's ruin of the lives of the citizens of Termina never took place in this timeline, therefore Odolwa, Goht, Gyorg, and Twinmold never existed. As Ganondorf was never sealed away in the Realm of Twilight, it is unknown what became of Zant in this timeline, but as he couldn't have gotten his power without Ganondorf, it is unlikely he could have caused any serious trouble.

That answer your question?

That does, yes.

On another topic, I think it's rather futile to try and make sense. Honestly, it's basically fan fiction in between the games.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 am
auS-e-Dude
KyuubiNaruto4

That does, yes.

On another topic, I think it's rather futile to try and make sense. Honestly, it's basically fan fiction in between the games.

Both Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto have publicly stated there is a master document containing the timeline. Weather it will ever be revealed to us is unknown. Eiji has stated that he will do his best to connect the games together.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:15 am
KyuubiNaruto4
auS-e-Dude
KyuubiNaruto4

That does, yes.

Both Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto have publicly stated there is a master document containing the timeline. Weather it will ever be revealed to us is unknown. Eiji has stated that he will do his best to connect the games together.
It will be released in the form of ten games in random order  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Syn of Sin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:21 am
KyuubiNaruto4
auS-e-Dude
KyuubiNaruto4
auS-e-Dude
Syn Angellus

Silly Syn.

ust to let you know,
LoZ NES -> LoZ II NES
No idea about LTTP
OoT -> MM
TP
WW -> Phantom Hourglass
Direct sequels.

That makes no sense.

Adult Timeline:
The events of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time take place. When Link pulls the Master Sword from its pedestal and is sealed for seven years, he unintentionally lets Ganondorf enter the Sacred Realm and steal the Triforce of Power. Ganondorf then goes on to conquer Hyrule, but Link (who had awakened after seven years as the Hero of Time) defeats him. Subsequently, Ganondorf is sealed in the Sacred Realm by the Seven Sages. As his tasks are done, Link is sent back in time by Princess Zelda to relive his lost years, and the Child Timeline is presumably formed. An unspecified amount of time after being sealed, Ganondorf escapes from the Sacred Realm and threatens Hyrule once again. Without the Hero of Time to protect Hyrule, the Gods are forced to flood Hyrule. Centuries later, the events of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and later The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, unfold. Another theory states that in the opening sequence of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Link and Tetra are searching for a land which they could call a new Hyrule. (This theory also opens up the fact that the Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap may be the new Hyrule Link and Tetra were searching for, putting it a few generations ahead, and explaining Link and Zelda's friendship in the game. Seeing that The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures clearly comes after Minish Cap, it remains unexplained how they returned to the regular Hyrule.)

Child Timeline:

Link, who has been returned to his childhood from the Adult Timeline, has a little talk with Princess Zelda, warning her (and presumably the rest of Hyrule) of Ganondorf's true intentions and as a result of this their relationship with Ganondorf changes. Because of this it was decided that Ganondorf be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. Sometime afterward, Ganondorf is exposed, subdued, and brought to justice.[2] and the Ancient Sages try to execute him; however, because he bears the Triforce of Power, Ganondorf survives the attempt and breaks free of his shackles, killing one of the Sages in the process. The remaining Sages manage to seal Ganondorf into the Twilight Realm, setting up events for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is also thought to be placed in this timeline, a short while after Ocarina-Link warns Hyrule of Ganondorf's treachery, due to the fact that Epona is now ridable.

How the older games on the NES and Super Nintendo fit into this timeline has not been made completely clear as of yet. Although hints have been dropped in the more recent titles, the way people react to these hints has lead to a wide array of different theories (for example, some say that all of the older titles occur after The Wind Waker, others that Wind Waker's 'Alternate' Imprisoning War legend suggests that they take place after Twilight Princess with Four Swords Adventures bridging the gap, others still that the NES and SNES adventures are split over either timeline). Ganondorf is the king of evil in every game.

Since Ganondorf was trapped inside the Realm of Twilight, it is likely that Volvagia was never revived in this timeline, Phantom Ganon and Morpha were never created, and Bongo Bongo never made it out of the well. However, the fate of Koume and Kotake is shown in the Oracle games. Also, the bosses of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker never existed in this timeline.

That answer your question? If not after Link warned Zelda of what Ganondorf was planning and he was arrested. Link assumed Hyrule was safe for now and went on a personal journey to find a friend he lost, that was the original purpose of the journey at the beginning says so during the beginning of MM. I assume that the friend was Navi since she/(maybe he) left when Zelda sent Link back to his childhood.

These connections are in my favor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:30 am
Thing I don't get is, the first time, Zelda's father doesn't believe her, so what makes a fairy boy in green change everyone's mind?  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

KyuubiNaruto4

3,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 am
auS-e-Dude
Thing I don't get is, the first time, Zelda's father doesn't believe her, so what makes a fairy boy in green change everyone's mind?

In the past, however, all was different. Due to the young Hero of Time’s warning, Ganondorf was subdued and his plot to assassinate the King of Hyrule was thwarted, preventing him from successfully conquering Hyrule Castle. Though he launched his attack to claim the Ocarina of Time and overthrow the Royal Family of Hyrule (as depicted by the ethereal Ancient Sages), he was ultimately thwarted and taken into the King of Hyrule's custody. The King of Hyrule tried Ganondorf for high treason, deemed him too dangerous to be kept alive, and sentenced him to death by impalement. He then handed Ganondorf over to the ethereal Ancient Sages (possibly the essences of the Seven Sages that were awakened in them by the Hero of Time in the future era) to be taken to the Arbiter's Grounds (the Spirit Temple-turned-Hyrulean Prison) to await execution. The rest is covered in TP.

They probably waited to see if it would come true and set up a trap in case it did.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:22 am
Yea, I used to be in a Zelda forum, and the timeline was a bit much for me. I can understand getting really into a game and the storyline of it. But Zelda doesn't have a storyline that generally makes sense, so I try not to care about it. xD  

Ribbin

4,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Sazuka57

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 am
Hmmm....I read a completely different timeline on Gamfaqs...Lemme see if I can find it...

Here we are. I'm just going to give you the Digest version:

Quote:

Link 1
- Ocarina of Time
- Majora's Mask

Link 2
- A Link to the Past
- Link's Awakening
- Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Link 3
- Twilight Princess

Link 4
- Windwaker

Link 5
- The Legend of Zelda
- Zelda II, the Adventure of Link

Note that this timeline was made before Phantom Hourglass came out. Also, if you want an explanation on the timeline, I can give it to you. =3  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff