Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
Jimmy's Guide for the starting captain - Post Feedback

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

was this usefull at all
  yes
  no---please post how it can be made better
View Results

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:30 am
JIMMY'S GUIDE FOR THE STARTING CAPTAINS

Hello people of gaia, my name is Jimmy as alot of you already know. The GGN is currently looking bad, so i'm helping the only way I know I can, by writing guides to the GGN. This will be the third guide I have written for guilds, so I do have some experience. Comments very appreciated. Also I know most of this guide is very basic, but to a new captain or vice captain it could be useful.

Table of Contents
1) Coming up with a theme
2) Creating the guild homepage
3) Inviting members
4) Assigning crew
5) Assiging a vice captain
6) Holding contests
7) Making subforums
8 ) Having fun

9) FAQ

***stickied by Rita***  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 pm
Comming up with a theme

Coming up with a theme for your guild can be difficult, however your theme defines your guild. It says what your guild is and the type of person you are. There are many different themes for different types of guilds. (For the type of guilds and what they, in my opinion, will be the best at being, pleas see the other guide I have written about it (not finished yet))

Here are some ideas for your themes.....

Anime
Movie
T.V show
Thoughts
religious beliefs
Politics
Ranting (Staying PG-13)
Hangeout for friends
Alone time
Collection

These are just some of the many themes you can have for a GGN guild.

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm
Creating the guild homepage

The guild homepage is basically the greeting for your guild, when people view your guild, the homepage will be the first thing that appears to them. If your homepage looks neat, interesting, and like you put alot of time into your guild, people will be more prone to joining it.

The guild homepage can be made to look professional by codeing. Color codeing, pictures, font size and color are some of the things that can be put onto your guilds homepage to make it look interesting to others.

Below will be the codes you can use on your guild homepage.

color codes = type in your color]put your text here[ /color ] (Do not use spaces)

Picture codes = [ img ]malformed url[/img] (Do not use spaces)

Font size = put size font you want]Message[ /size ] (Do not use spaces)

These are the basics you will be using, then once you figure these out, you can start combining them to make it look even more proffesional.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 pm
Gaining members

Gaining members is the most important thing in determining how popular your guild will get and how it will grow. Because this is the most important thing for your guild, it is the hardest thing to do...go figure rolleyes .

You can gain members many different ways, affiliating with other guilds, making advertisements in the Registered Guilds forum of gaia, and having friends invite friends.

You CANNOT advertise in the Guild forum of gaia and you CANNOT advertise anywhere in the Captains Guild, so please don't do either.

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 pm
Assigining crew

Assigning crew members is very important, However it can also be very dangerous.

Crew members help you run the guild, invite members, and keep your forums in working order. It is highley suggested that you only pick people who you know are very trustworthy. A crew can be a great asset to your guild, but also a major pain, heres why.

Crew members have the power to completely spam up your guild with useless announcements and stickys, they can also alter your whole guild by messing with the posts and subforums.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 am
Assigning a vice captain

Like crew members, you should be carefull on picking your vice captain....accually you should be MORE carefull, here's why.

A vice captain can change posts and subforums, ban members, mess with the guild homepage, mess with the guild account, and they can even change ownership to themselves and ban you from the guild.

They can basically do anything you can do. So like I said be VERY carefull when picking your VC, you shouldn't even need one until your guild gets big.

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 am
Holding contests

This can get you more members and get your guild more active. For most contests a guild mule will be used. Contests are also meant to be fun and show you are dedicated to the guild. When first starting off you should make your contests something like who can invite the most members, or a certain amount of posts and the first person to reach it wins. Thats really all you need to know lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:47 am
Making subforums

You make a subforum by using gold from your guild account. This gold comes from you and other members who donate to the guild. You should not overload your guild with subforums because it makes your guild annoying to go through if you have to many, and to many can make you LOSE gold if you ever decided to sell it.

They cost 2.5k each and can be baught in the moderators panel of your guild.

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:48 am
Having fun

A guild is meant to be fun and enjoyable, so.....have fun xp  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 am
FAQ

The questions you ask me in this guide will be put here. 3nodding  

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100

St._Jimmy

Distinct Millionaire

3,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 am
Public Affiliated Guides

~Ultimate GGN Guild Guide~ - Guide written by yours truly (Jimmy), it contains more then 50 posts of information on guilds.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 am
Why was this guide unstickied?  

dooWrojaM

Distinct Member

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:40 pm
I don't really see how this is much different from THIS besides a few overly used suggestions on guild themes.  
Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games