Reply Tattoos
Tattooing scar tissue? Help please!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr Pen0r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:32 pm
Basically, what I'm wondering is how difficult it is to tattoo scar tissue. I'm not going to sugercoat it, so I'll be honest; in the past, I used to cut and burn myself. Today, my arms are covered up to about 80% of heavy scarring and I find it repulsive.
I want to get full sleeves, not just as a cover up, but because I truly love sleeves. I've been wanting sleeves since I was 11, and it's about time soon!

I want to start them in a year, maybe more, but how hard is it going to be? I've heard that some people have to get it done several times for the ink to actually stick. I've also heard it's a bit easier to tattoo on scar tissue because it's softer.

And also; shading is a bit more difficult, huh? What kind of tattoos would be the easiest to get? Colorful, or just monochrome, etc?

Anyways, any help is appreciated.
I'm off for bed, but I'll check back tomorrow.
Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm
I think it depends entirely on the type of scarring that you have. You're best bet would be to pop in to see your artist to see what they reckon the best way to go around it would be.

Maybe try massaging with bio oil as well to reduce it in preperation.  

Annihilation Sky

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:14 pm
Annihilation Sky
I think it depends entirely on the type of scarring that you have. You're best bet would be to pop in to see your artist to see what they reckon the best way to go around it would be.

I agree. Your artist might have some suggestions. ^_^

Also, and I may be wrong, but I've heard of lotions/oils that aren't guaranteed, but can help lessen/clear up scar tissue. Perhaps applying those to tone it down may help?

Scar sheets also help. You apply them liberally for weeks and they exfoliate layers of skin to promote new skin growth where the scars are.

Hell, even lemon juice can separate scar tissue and prepare your skin to get rid of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 am
Simim
Annihilation Sky

Also, and I may be wrong, but I've heard of lotions/oils that aren't guaranteed, but can help lessen/clear up scar tissue. Perhaps applying those to tone it down may help?

Scar sheets also help. You apply them liberally for weeks and they exfoliate layers of skin to promote new skin growth where the scars are.

Hell, even lemon juice can separate scar tissue and prepare your skin to get rid of it.

That's what I meant, to lessen it. I just wasn't very clear lol.  

Annihilation Sky

Dr Pen0r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:24 pm
Simim
Annihilation Sky

Scar sheets? Do you know where I could find those?
Thanks for the tips, you guys.

I'll go ask at my tattoo parlor about it someday soon. :]  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:51 pm
Well, my ex got her tattoo done right across her back surgery scar ( Tatt says 'Fear No Pain' ) and didn't have any problems with it. Granted, she just got the outline, though, no shading or solid colour.

Probably the best thing to do is ask around and see what the professionals have to say on it. For the design, you might need something a little less detailed than you could do on non-scar-tissue, but I can't see colour vs. monochrome being much of an issue...  

Nekojin_cat

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Tattoos

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items