Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Shroud of Turin

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is the Shroud real?
  Totally
  It's a fake
  Not sure
  I'm not listening to you
  Witty comeback here
View Results

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:10 pm
So I was reading a book of mine about cadavers. A fellow became obsessed with proving that the shroud was real, with respect to angles of blood flow left on the shroud. Crucified a lot of cadavers to prove his theory , found what he thought was correct. Later proved wrong. Something or other.

So, I was interested. Read a bit on the Shroud of Turin. If by some chance you don't know what that is, it's a piece of cloth that Jesus's body was supposedly wrapped in after his death, and has his face on it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(What wikipedia says is the shroud.)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_turin
Read more if you so choose.

The point of this: Do you think the Shroud of Turin is really what it claims to be?

Seems pretty sketchy to me.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:07 am
Radio carbon dated from the 13th century, sounds like a fake to me.  

Athena_Ritashe

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am
I've always thoght that people might believe that it really was that Jesus was wrapped in because they really want to have a strong connection with the crusifiction.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 am
Athena_Ritashe
Radio carbon dated from the 13th century, sounds like a fake to me.
User Image

qft. Carbon dating doesn't lie XD

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Devaldra

Greedy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 pm

It took me a few minutes to see it. xd

I think it was intentionally done, by painting, or bas relief. Its too realistic and would have faded away by now if it was naturally occurring. I must say, its a damned good image, at least. After I found it in the cloth, I slipped into artist mode and forgot I was supposed to be deciding if it was fake and not critiquing the composition. xd

And I also learned something about AB blood from this; neat!

Although, the fact that the puncture wounds are in the wrists is odd to me; most Christians today, don't even know crucification meant you were nailed through the wrist, not the hands. I've argued with people about it before (a kid in another guild, said he was crucified to a tree through the hands, and "miraculously" escaped; I told him, if they wanted him to stay there, they would have done it through the wrists, since the hands are too soft to keep you up there for long. A friend then argued with me about it, and I gave up since arguing with the two of them was pointless.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Devaldra

I think it was intentionally done, by painting, or bas relief. Its too realistic and would have faded away by now if it was naturally occurring. I must say, its a damned good image, at least. After I found it in the cloth, I slipped into artist mode and forgot I was supposed to be deciding if it was fake and not critiquing the composition. xd

Although, the fact that the puncture wounds are in the wrists is odd to me; most Christians today, don't even know crucification meant you were nailed through the wrist, not the hands. I've argued with people about it before (a kid in another guild, said he was crucified to a tree through the hands, and "miraculously" escaped; I told him, if they wanted him to stay there, they would have done it through the wrists, since the hands are too soft to keep you up there for long. A friend then argued with me about it, and I gave up since arguing with the two of them was pointless.)

Yes, the fellow doing crucifixtion expirements on cadavers found that when nailed through the hands, the hands tore and the corpse fell.

It also brought up a point: Another man tied people to crosses in a crucifixtion manner (couldn't exactly nail them, lawsuits and all) to prove some point or other. He found that the people were no danger of suffocation... which is contrary to what i've heard about crucifixtion.
But I've spelled it wrong every time I've written it, so what do I know.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Devaldra

Greedy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:45 pm
KuroFur
Devaldra

Yes, the fellow doing crucifixtion expirements on cadavers found that when nailed through the hands, the hands tore and the corpse fell.

It also brought up a point: Another man tied people to crosses in a crucifixtion manner (couldn't exactly nail them, lawsuits and all) to prove some point or other. He found that the people were no danger of suffocation... which is contrary to what i've heard about crucifixtion.

Suffocation by the rope, or the position? I've heard that, its hard to breathe in that position, and they nailed the feet, to give them the ability to lift themselves up to breathe a little, but the act itself caused even more damage or something. I dunno. There's too many inaccuracies in the entire tale. Even the cross is wrong. Some show [Machines of Torture, or something] on Discovery talked about how, it was actually a uppercase T shaped; the arms were nailed into the wrists, and the person was lifted up onto the pole of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:59 pm
Devaldra
KuroFur
Devaldra

Suffocation by the rope, or the position? I've heard that, its hard to breathe in that position, and they nailed the feet, to give them the ability to lift themselves up to breathe a little, but the act itself caused even more damage or something. I dunno. There's too many inaccuracies in the entire tale. Even the cross is wrong. Some show [Machines of Torture, or something] on Discovery talked about how, it was actually a uppercase T shaped; the arms were nailed into the wrists, and the person was lifted up onto the pole of it.

The position.
"Hanging by the hands causes a variety of cramps an contractions... Eventually, these cramps reach the inspiratory muscles and prevent expiration; the codemned men, being unable to empty their lungs, die of asphyxia." Says Pierre Barbet.

The guy who tied people to crosses noted that it was impossible to lift oneself up from such a position.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Devaldra

Greedy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:31 pm
KuroFur
Devaldra
KuroFur
Devaldra

The position.
"Hanging by the hands causes a variety of cramps an contractions... Eventually, these cramps reach the inspiratory muscles and prevent expiration; the codemned men, being unable to empty their lungs, die of asphyxia." Says Pierre Barbet.

The guy who tied people to crosses noted that it was impossible to lift oneself up from such a position.

Ah. Interesting.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff