Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Reviews
Dragon Wars: D-War

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 am
In fairness, I knew this was gonna be a crappy movie. I got it on a whim cuz the boxart was cool, and I thought it might have some neat fights. Well, it had a couple of neat fights. But the writing was shallow, the pacing was choppy, the characters were largely unsympathetic, and it had much less to do with dragons than you'd expect. It kinda felt like an episode of Power Rangers. eek The special effects were good, and I liked the dragon/dinosaur creatures. But the rest of it was boring and barely held my attention.

The story was your standard prophecy-about-an-ancient-evil fare with a "princess" whose destiny was to sacrifice herself to save the world and a guardian who job it was to make sure it happened but ended up falling in love with her instead. The usual. It was hard to feel too sad at the end when she actually does die in order to fulfill the prophecy cuz, like I said, the characters are hard to get to know and largely unsympathetic. Most of the movie is spent running from a giant snake/dragon that's trying to track her down but manages to escape detection by the authorities until it actually attacks. The movie is filled with plot holes like that, and the explanations are left up to your imagination. There are only two good fights. One is an all-out battle between cops and SWAT and army guys against the forces of dragon-y darkness, and the other is the final battle between the good snake/dragon and the bad snake/dragon. There was a cool transformation scene for what I believe was the good snake/dragon, but in the darkness of the dragon-castle world, it was hard to tell the difference between them.

The movie felt more like a kid's movie than it should have, and the cool F/X and fights couldn't make up for all the other stuff IMO. But if you like a movie that refuses to let you think or feel for the characters and fills the space with unnecessary special effects scenes and blustering monologues by characters you don't know or care about, this is the movie for you! Pop lots of popcorn.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:16 am
I liked the show ok, but it does require a certain amount of assuming.

Especially when everyone seems to know everything, but they don't explain how.  

xwhateverxdudex

Nana Chaloma

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 am
Heheh. It didn't take me long after reading about this movie to realize that it was going to be another all special-effects, no substance kind of film.

Also, most movies involving dragons tend to suck for some reason. I suspect it's because they're aimed toward people who won't care how much a movie sucks as long as there are OMGDRAGONS!!! in it. There are some exceptions, but they're pretty rare.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am
Lol, good point. I'd like to see a movie someday that has both dragons and a good plot. surprised  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces