Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
Should good avatars fear entering the arenas?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 am
As the title says, should good cosplays and well put together avatars be afraid to enter the arenas?

My own experiences of the 'new' arena have been very negative with a perfect Jade cosplay (with image!) being down voted by people voting for their friends and down voting other entrants.

This to me, did not seem to happen quite as desperately on the old arenas and it makes me miss the bot ridden things.

So, the question stands, should good avatars be afraid to enter the arenas for fear of being down voted?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 pm
I've actually never paid too much attention to the avi arenas... Sounds like it kinda sucks now. Still, it's only what... 2k? I think it's not too much now to just go ahead and give it a shot.  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

WindowOpener

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm
I've never really stayed in the loop with Arenas, either, so you may take this with a grain of salt. ^^ But even without favourtism and all the rest of it, the Arenas have always been busy and probably not always able to reward all the high-quality entries. So, maybe 2k is a similar risk now as always?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:53 am
It's 1k.

It needs to be increased now gold is so easy to make (I'd say to 5k) to stop newb entries.

It's demoralising more then anything.

I'd love to see how Rita did this week.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 pm
Blame it on poor organisation. URLs can easily be hidden with frames (if you're lazy) or other better methods to prevent people from promoting their own avatars. Allowing usernames to be associated with avatars is another problem that causes unfairness.

To be honest, I never really understood the appeal of arenas besides being exactly what you're complaining about: a popularity contest.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:00 am
I truly detest the avatar arena now. It was an okay concept to separate cosplays and original avatars, but let's face it, some of the most disgusting avatars win, and the good ones (uh hum) get nothing. And I only ended up with about 3.5 stars... See what I mean- the newbies and the ichy avatars win and the good ones never do, anymore.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am
Thank you Rita.

You've backed up exactly what I said all along.

I had a great Viera cosplay that got a 3.5.

Pissed me off no end.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:37 pm
Well, in my opinion, why -shouldn't- good avatars go for the top spot? If it's a really good avatar, even if some people vote it negatively (and some people will) it should end up in a -very- good position at the end.  

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am
NeoTsure
Well, in my opinion, why -shouldn't- good avatars go for the top spot? If it's a really good avatar, even if some people vote it negatively (and some people will) it should end up in a -very- good position at the end.

Exactly.

Maybe Gaia should work off the number of people adding it to faves rather then the vote.  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am
Can anyone describe the changes to the Avatar Arena? A -long- time ago (and I mean, 2006) I used to do reasonably well with my Avatar. Of course, that was with another... uh, gaian... people may know as Shric. Since then, however, I have not visited the Arenas.

Basing it off of what you've said here, I'd agree with using 'favorites' instead of votes, considering we know that votes lie.  

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items