Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Old VS New Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which character is your favorite?
  Arthur Dent
  Trillion
  Marvin
  Ford Prefect
  Zaphod Beeblebrox
  Slartibartfast
View Results

redskinnedeagle

4,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:27 am
Do you like the old boxy Marvin better? Or do you like the new, more roundish Marvin better? Do you like the mini series better than the movie? Do you like the books where you can imagine your own version of the characters or do you like that imagination of the movie/miniseries have given you?

I don't know if this has been done yet. If it has I'm sorry.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:29 am
I personally like the old Marvin better. I like the old mini series too. They covered more of the books and to me, seemed a lot more interesting. The movie was awesome, but I still like the mini series better. I'm sure if Douglas Adams (RIP) hadn't passed, the movie would have gone further, but I'll watch the mini series over the movie anyday. I like the books better because i like using my own imagination than that of another person to decide what certian people/robots look like. (if you can't tell, Marvin is my favorite character... for reasons to me unknown).  

redskinnedeagle

4,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:24 pm
I prefer the new Marvin, just because he's cute 3nodding It completely goes against his personality, which amuses me. But overall, I like the miniseries far more than I like the movie.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:21 pm
My favourite rendition is the Radio Serial, mostly because it's the longest, and it also is the wackiest.  

Yuuki Gunn

Cracovin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 pm
I like the new Marvin, which odly enough is how I imagined him from the begining, becuase of the brain the size of a planet part, got me thinking his head was shaped like a planet, thus he had a round head.

Can't comment on the mini series, as I've never seen it, nor do I have anyway of getting it without buying it.(which I would, but I don't know where. eek And I hate Ebay.) gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:03 pm
Actually, I like Marvin the way I imagined him when I was reading the books, but I don't want to start a debate over what Marvin would ideally look like (that would not be a very good first day at this guild!)  

The Name

Clockwork Sun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:22 pm
When I read the books, I like imagining the old Ford, the new Marvin, and my own stuff for Arthur, Zaphod and Trillian. My Arthur looks pretty accurate to the visual ones, actually.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:55 am
Cracovin
I like the new Marvin, which odly enough is how I imagined him from the begining, becuase of the brain the size of a planet part, got me thinking his head was shaped like a planet, thus he had a round head.

Can't comment on the mini series, as I've never seen it, nor do I have anyway of getting it without buying it.(which I would, but I don't know where. eek And I hate Ebay.) gonk

Any store that sells DVDs should have the miniseries.  

Yuuki Gunn

mcm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:41 pm
Yuuki Gunn
My favourite rendition is the Radio Serial, mostly because it's the longest, and it also is the wackiest.

not least because it's the original... that's part of what hooks me.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:48 am
When I read the books, I imagined old Ford, new Arthur, a combo between the old and new Marvins, a slightly altered old Zaphod, and my own Trillian. I like the movie and TV series over the books though. It's fun to see the guide entries with all of their crazy graphics. smile  

Appoggiatura

Lupe_Oceana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:46 pm
When I was reading the books, I pictured a Marvin very similar to the old version. But new Marvin seems to be the better one just because it's so opposite his personality... he's a freakin' chibi! A depressed, mechanical, silver chibi!

Oddly enough, also, when I was reading the books, I pictured Ford a lot like new Ford. I don't know why. Then I saw the TV show, and I was all like, "Screw the mental images, this is the better version!" (which I rarely say.) So then I saw the movie and was all like, "You got Ford all wrong." Go figure.

I pitcured Trillian and Zaphod a lot like they were in the movie.

And finally, books beat movies all the way. Because then you have your ideal mix of imagined character appearances... and they're funnier.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:23 pm
i know this is weird, and I have absolutly no idea why, but I had always pictured Zaphod as having green skin. mrgreen  

Jupiter-X

Lupe_Oceana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:11 pm
Actually, I did too. Movie-Zaphod with green skin. Funny.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:06 pm
I was just thinking, which is a rare occerance with me, about which character I pictured as what, and you guys are talking a lot about Zaphod. And I figured I would put my 2 cents in. I think that the old mini series Zaphod is better. I don't like how the movie Zaphod has his second head hidden in his neck... that's just weird.... and wrong. Who would want their second head to be in their neck? though the third arm thing is kinda cool. But, anyways, I like how Zaphod had the second head in the miniseries.  

redskinnedeagle

4,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Panic!At The Square Dance

O.G. Gaian

9,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:01 pm
I love the new,rolly polly Mavin.He's just so............huggable....... ninja  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games