Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:59 pm
I hope this is the right forum. *ahem*

Well, you seem, I am hoping to create a nice trench coat. Not any trench coat though, but one similar to the one Daisuke/Dark wear in the DNAngel anime (and manga?) series. If all goes well I may cosplay as them. 3nodding

But regardless. I could use help. Dimensions, materials, and everything; I've never made a costume/clothing before! Needless to say, I'm not planning on starting with this (I truly plan to start with something I can get a pattern on easily, like a general Soul Reaper uniform from Bleach, or something of the like).

Now, I could use normal cloth, or such, but the material I'm after is more of a leather/pleather-y like material. You know, to get that sort-of shiny aesthetic. So, my biggest question is: Where could I find that kind of material, and what price range do you think it would run around?

If you could help me at all with anything in this respect, it would be adored. heart

I'm trying to find a nice reference picture, but it's hard. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm
References

-Material Reference-
Pretty much, I am after a coat like this one, but with buckles. (and possibly a large collar, instead of a hood)

Still looking for a good character reference.

Fox Demon Shippo

Moonlight Explorer

7,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Healer 50

Andorf The Mighty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 pm
Fox Demon Shippo
I hope this is the right forum[removed]emoticon(' confused '). *ahem*
i like!
Well, you seem, I am hoping to create a nice trench coat. Not any trench coat though, but one similar to the one Daisuke/Dark wear in the DNAngel anime (and manga?) series. If all goes well I may cosplay as them. 3nodding

But regardless. I could use help. Dimensions, materials, and everything; I've never made a costume/clothing before! Needless to say, I'm not planning on starting with this (I truly plan to start with something I can get a pattern on easily, like a general Soul Reaper uniform from Bleach, or something of the like).

Now, I could use normal cloth, or such, but the material I'm after is more of a leather/pleather-y like material. You know, to get that sort-of shiny aesthetic. So, my biggest question is: Where could I find that kind of material, and what price range do you think it would run around?

If you could help me at all with anything in this respect, it would be adored. heart

I'm trying to find a nice reference picture, but it's hard. sweatdrop
confused  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:40 pm
Since you haven't done a costume before I would suggest finding a pattern that you could change if necessary.
Patterns are easy to get a hold of if a Wal*Mart, JoAnn's, etc. are near you.
You look in their pattern books and find the one you like.
That will tell you how much fabric you'll need based on your size and what design you're making from the pattern.
As for that material...
I haven't seen a whole lot of it.
You're probably looking for pleather and the local JoAnn's here says that that kind of fabric isn't in stock until the Fall.
You could search the internet for fabric as well.
I hope that helped.

Nekolover_8

Dapper Gaian

8,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers