Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Piano Exam!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LlamaAtAPark

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:21 pm
My ABRSM piano examination will be on June 1!
It is the 2009-2010 syllabus and I will be playing Sonata in D Minor - Cimarosa, Allegro con Brio - Clementi, and Prelude in E Minor.
I need some tips on relaxation and expression - I always seem to be very stiff in my arms/shoulders/fingers/wrists, and I do not have much expression when I play.. tips please?  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm
Actually I am going to tell you what my paino teacher keeps telling me, it is all about how you approach the piano. I am more of a vocalist and euphonium player, but I have to play piano juries for my degree. I know that the more I put the emotion into my fingers the more expressive it sounds. Like in really intense parts, press the keys harder, not necessarily for the dynamic, but rather the richer, darker sound of the string that is being struck by the hammer. If you get stiff take a deep breathe and press on. Everyone in music has a tendency to tense a muscle in there body when they get nerveous, the question is what you do to get rid of it. A really ideal and good possiblity for piano and stiff arms is to over dramatisize (I suck at spelling...) a reach. Like if there is a big leap in hand position lift your whole arm to release that tension, and give your listeners something to look at. Good luck!  

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

flamingrice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:24 pm
When you are playing, try to think of something happy while you're playing, it seems to help me, maybe it can help you. Another thing I would do is before you play, do something that you like to do to relax yourself, that works to! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:40 pm
There are times when I actually love performing. Just keep in mind that it's normal to be nervous or anxious. What you need to realize is that it's just another type of adrenaline. Take advantage of that extra energy and incorporate it into the music. When you have long rests or long pedaled chords, clamp the muscle that's stiff and then relax it. For expression, sometimes in the more climatic moments, I lean in towards the piano. It gives off a much darker and intimate sound to your ears. At the same time it encourages you to continue to make that sound. If it helps, you can always look up the music on youtube to guide you for the expression and such.

Usually when I play, at first I focus very very carefully on the music but after awhile it's just natural. Then you're able to just enjoy the music.  

Amethyst_BondS

Victorian Lily

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:59 pm
my teacher tells me to "bow my wrists" and "circle my elbows" for expression. and if it's appropriate, use rubato! (free speed). this probably really doesn't help much, but i hope it does.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games