Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
Buffy, Angel, and Supernatural: Pop Culture Crap?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite Show of the Three?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Angel
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Supernatural
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
These shows are demeaning to the occult world, never watch them ever.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I've never seen any of these shows, so I have no opinion.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Aranka Taine

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 pm
I'm curious, as I've just barely gotten back into studying the occult:

Are these shows just pop culture crap, or do they actually have shreds of true mythos, religious information, spells, etc.? From what I understand, Supernatural is decent, in the sense that it combines several different myths, legends, etc. to help create an entertaining fictional work, but does any of it have a basis in actual occult information? Or did the creators of these shows just pull things out of their arses to make some money?

I'm new to the guild, so take this as both a casual conversation-starter as well as my first foray into discussing what little I know of occult topics. Please to be gentle with the flaming. burning_eyes Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 pm
i think its a mix of both actual superstition and stuff that they randomly came up with. that way they can come up with something new for the viewers to keep them interested and give them something that they are familiar with and have some sort of knowledge about so it doesnt become too confusing.  

Just Tsuki

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 pm
I am of the opinion that Buffy/Angel, Charmed, and The Craft are responsible for 99% of interest in occult for people my age. Because it's a rare person who hasn't seen those and has an interest.

I'd say that the interest among most teens now is due to the Harry Potter books.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 pm
It's strange to see Supernatural in the way they're showing, and I've been reading into some of the symbols they'd been using, the tattoos in particular.

An interest in the Occult starts with something, but then somebody fuels that interest because nobody else is stepping up.

As for the accuracy question, I'm pretty sure Supernatural's the closest thing I could find. There are more incantations, symbols, rituals in the show than any other show I'd seen. I still *squee* when they start using salt in large amounts and start using blessed objects against demons--even with water as a transferred agent.

Not sure about Buffy and the other show. Buffy I've seen, Charmed too, but they lean on some serious mystical powers from the beginning--and help, too.

[edit: Also, there's something to the Crossroads legend to Supernatural. They were pretty specific.]  

D_Marx

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:58 pm
Aranka Taine
I'm curious, as I've just barely gotten back into studying the occult:

Are these shows just pop culture crap, or do they actually have shreds of true mythos, religious information, spells, etc.? From what I understand, Supernatural is decent, in the sense that it combines several different myths, legends, etc. to help create an entertaining fictional work, but does any of it have a basis in actual occult information? Or did the creators of these shows just pull things out of their arses to make some money?

I'm new to the guild, so take this as both a casual conversation-starter as well as my first foray into discussing what little I know of occult topics. Please to be gentle with the flaming. burning_eyes Thanks!

They have bits and pieces of true information, but not enough that you could make a really rewarding real-life system out of all of it. Although they do serve as terrific inspiration, though.

I'm one of the many folk whose interest in the occult was helped along by the plethora of mainstream goodies like Buffy, Charmed and so on. They didn't start the craze for me, but they certainly helped.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:43 am
i realy don't like Buffy or Charmed, and in fact i find the two to be alot of fluff. (especcially Charmed, i like Angel though. me nad my sister are inversed in that opinion.)

Angel i think is a decent show in regards to it's accurraccy, but even it has some discrepencies. i do love watching it though! ^.^  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:38 pm
i must admit, i never really watched charmed, buffy, or supernatural for the occult. i watched buffly for the hot vampiric Spike-type person (ditto with angel-show), supernatural for the pretty brothers and to see how badly they messed up some myths (suprisingly, not too badly, at least early on.)

charmed is, so far, the only one to raise my ire and even that is not the show itself's fault. trying to find a nice large "authentic" (i.e., looks like it just stepped out of a hollywood set but what the hell its so pretty!) book of shadows in between all the fans selling admittedly beautiful hand illuminated versions of the charmed spellbook is a pain in the thrice be-buggering booty!

so yeah, pop-cult doesn't really bother me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:51 am
I'd never heard of Supernatural, so thanks for the tip! I've watched all of Buffy, and I'm working on the fourth season of Angel. As far as accuracy goes, I would strongly advise that you not take any of it seriously. These shows are for entertainment, not education. Joss Whedon and the rest of the gang are brilliant writers- I have never enjoyed a show as much as I have enjoyed these two. The plots are fantastic, the character development is brilliant, and the script goes from poignant to freakin' hysterically funny without a hitch along the way. They are every bit as clever with their unique interpretations, tweaks, and outright inventions on mythological creatures. Even when the name can be found somewhere in a book, the Buffy/Angelverse counterpart often has very little to do with it.

By all means, suspend disbelief while you enjoy the show! But if you're looking for usable information outside of a fansite, look elsewhere.  

WebenBanu

The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff