Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sword of Truth Guild, For Terry Goodkind Fans!

Back to Guilds

"Choose, then. With us or not. But choose this day for all time." 

Tags: truth, sword, richard, series, goodkind 

Reply -~- Aydindril -~- We welcome our new sister affiliate, A World Divided!
How do you pronounce Kahlan? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you pronounce it?
kah-LAHN
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
KAY-lyn
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
I just call her "The hot chick in the white dress"
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Raven Rahl

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:35 pm
So a friend and I are debating on how to pronounce Kahlan's name. In the television series, they pronounce it KAY-lyn, but I've always pronounced it when I read the books, kah-LAHN.

How do you pronounce it?  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:02 pm
it's kaylin. 'kah-lahn' just sounds like TERRIBLE NAME.

Quote:
The name Kahlan is pronounced by Goodkind as /'keɪlən/ (KAY-lan) instead of the more intuitive /'kɑːlən/.[1]

SEE RAVEN?
now, we're both adults you're an adult. i think you can take defeat gracefully. o; 8D

haphazardly parked

Dapper Fatcat

Raven Rahl

Desirable Wolf

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 pm
You can't use wikipedia as a reference when it can be editted by anyone. You probably editted it yourself. xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 pm
MORE IMPORTANTLY from;
http://www.terrygoodkind.com/the_author/bn.html

Quote:
Jason Strange from Fayetteville, AR: First I would like to say that you are one of my favorite authors. I rarely read a book more than once, and I have read yours twice since a friend introduced me to them a little over a year ago. My friends and I have had disagreements about how to pronounce certain place and character names, specifically Kahlan. Have you considered putting a glossary in the back of one of the books, perhaps the paperback edition, so that the reader will know the pronunciation you intend for the names of characters and places in your books?

TG: THank you for the kind words, Jason. I have specific ways in which I pronounce names of characters and places. My feeling, though, is that once a reader has a book, it's his to experience in his own way. Therefore, it does not bother me that people pronounce things other than the way I do. I have specifically avoided putting a glossary in the back of the book, because it sends the wrong kind of message -- it tells would-be readers that this is going to be complex, difficult, and dry. And that the technicalities are more important than the story. THat's a false impression that I do not wish to give a foothold to. The biggest question about prononciation is Kahlan's name, and it should be pronounced Kay-lun.

haphazardly parked

Dapper Fatcat

haphazardly parked

Dapper Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:19 pm
Dark Lord Raven Rahl
You can't use wikipedia as a reference when it can be editted by anyone. You probably editted it yourself. xd

raven if i had edited that myself i would've stuck an 'INYOURFACE' in there somewhere. because i'm not an adult and am immature like that o;  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:03 am
Goodkind told me, HIMSELF that you say it Kay-lyn.  

Phanari

sabre_sword
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:11 pm
I've always said it "kay-lin".

[I like the INYOURFACE idea. Dooo eeet.]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:42 am
I thought that it was said Kah-lin.  

Phanari

[Gilgamesh]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:32 am
I always thought it was Kah-lun (but that's prolly 'cause I'm Dutch and the first time I read the first 6 books was in Dutch... Started reading them in English now and due to the series pronouncing her name as Kay-lun, I seem to have caught that habbit ><...)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:54 pm
Honestly, I got into the habit after the Confessor signing. I asked Goodkind how you say her name and he told me how and then added, "But it doesn't really matter."  

Phanari

superguillermina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am
I've always said "Kah-lahn"...but yeah. It doesn't matter much--but it's interesting! I never even thought of trying to say "Kaylin" or something like that.
..not to mention, I've only read up to Stone of Tears..but anyway. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am
Stone of Tears is good. I'm still on FoTF, unfortunately. But I liked Stone of Tears. What part are you on?  

Phanari

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 pm
They call me...

You should have bolded that part where Terry Goodkind says that everyone has their own way of saying the name and that it all comes down to their own experience with the books, so he's not wrong. n.n I don't say her name. o.o I just read it. x3

Mishtah Bunbuns~!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 am
Galen Zarathustra Kyuss
They call me...

You should have bolded that part where Terry Goodkind says that everyone has their own way of saying the name and that it all comes down to their own experience with the books, so he's not wrong. n.n I don't say her name. o.o I just read it. x3

Mishtah Bunbuns~!

Really? I should've? Sorry.

And..........I'm sorry for saying it.  

Phanari

Taro Momiji
Crew

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:03 pm
They call me...

Not you, you big silly! x3 -huggles- Miss Misanthrope. :3 It was in her quote that she took from Goodkind's site, but it wasn't bolded. D:

Mishtah Bunbuns~!

-~- Aydindril -~- We welcome our new sister affiliate, A World Divided!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games