Tell-a-man
Way-ber

Annd.... Spelling:

Beaetovin
Rachmonenoff
Baroch
Barque  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:13 pm
A student of mine (only 8 years old, mind) pronounced Bach as "Beck." When I corrected her, she protested against the "funny sound" from the guttural "ch" ending.

Kids are so cute. <3  

Wings

Invisible Fairy

Vafrous Coyote

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:43 pm
Wagner's probably the most famous one from a mispronunciation standpoint. I don't want to know how many times I've heard that name pronounced like an English name instead of its proper German pronunciation.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:39 am
Vafrous Coyote
Wagner's probably the most famous one from a mispronunciation standpoint. I don't want to know how many times I've heard that name pronounced like an English name instead of its proper German pronunciation.

I think Chopin is probably more often mispronounced than Wagner. My teachers back in high school would flip a s**t if anyone mispronounced Chopin; needless to say, it only happened once.  

Chernabog Is My Homeboy

Confutatis Maledictus

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 am
Alberto Ginastera.....HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME D:  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 am
Lacrimosa Apotheosis
Alberto Ginastera.....HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME D:

It would be G-Na-Stare-ah.
I hate it when people say Chopin as Chopan. I mean if your gonna pronounce it funny why not try to pronounce it as it was spelled in polish! that would be Szopin which is still pronounce Show-Pin.  

Lord Eydvar

Confutatis Maledictus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm
Are you sure D; some people, even native argentinians disagree whether or not its Gi-nastera or Hi-nastera Dx stupid danzas argentinas x_x  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:33 pm
Lacrimosa Apotheosis
Are you sure D; some people, even native argentinians disagree whether or not its Gi-nastera or Hi-nastera Dx stupid danzas argentinas x_x

Oh he's Argentinain? I was going by the Name since i hadn't heard of him. If it was an Italian name it would be Gi-nastera but with him being Argentinian i would say Hi-nastera is almost certain. I actually know a couple of Argentinians and when speaking G's are more commonly pronounced with an H.  

Lord Eydvar

Spainstateofmind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm
Lord Eydvar
Lacrimosa Apotheosis

Oh he's Argentinain? I was going by the Name since i hadn't heard of him. If it was an Italian name it would be Gi-nastera but with him being Argentinian i would say Hi-nastera is almost certain. I actually know a couple of Argentinians and when speaking G's are more commonly pronounced with an H.

Well, according to Wikipedia, Ginastera himself liked to pronounce his name "Jeenahstera", which was how it was pronounced in Catalan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginastera  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:50 pm
Arg! It irks me when people mispronounce Chopin's name. My mother and brother are aware of this, and say "Choppin'" on purpose.

BrokenxMusic

Dapper Fatcat

6,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:05 pm
I used to mispronounce a lot of composers name before I took a piano course at my college, like Chopin and Beethoven's given name. Previously, I pronounced Chopin as "Chop-in" and Ludwig as "Lood-wig". sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:59 pm
Anyone able to say Tchaikovsky's full name? xD I always skip his middle name. ~.~  

An Unknown Kunoichi

svalur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm
i know a TON of people that pronounce wagner wrong
and i'm like "NO, THAT'S WRONG!" and they're like "no it's not that's obviously a w"

*facepalm*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:31 pm
I'm not going to lie. Just for the sake of annoying him, I argued with my teacher until we were both blue in the face that wagner was pronounced wag-ner befor saying "You know what...I think you're right..."  

SaxySoul

Escargot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:59 pm
Haha, how about Poulenc? In standard French it would be pronounced "poo-lahnk" (rhyming with the first syllable in donkey), but apparently he comes from some place in France where they speak a weird dialect, so it's actually pronounced "poo-lank" (as in lanky).  
Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff