Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Play your Wii games from a hard drive.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Owwin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 pm
My buddy installed his earlier today and then I saw the Kotaku article. After it was thrown in my face twice I had to post it. I don't use homebrew, but maybe you do.
Lifehacker
Lifehacker reader Mike put together a tutorial on enabling hard-drive-based playback on your Wii. It isn't as simple as just plugging in an external USB drive, but if you're comfortable messing around with your Wii, it also isn't an impossibly geeky task. You need to have the Homebrew Channel installed. We've covered how to install the Homebrew Channel here before, but console modding is an ever-changing business, so make sure to give Mike's tutorial a full read before proceeding. Besides the Homebrew Channel, all you'll need is an external USB 2.0 hard drive and freely available files listed in the tutorial. When it's said and done, you'll likely be the only one on the block—or in your city for that matter—with a hard-drive-driven Wii. Check out the video below to see the interface in action—Spawn-based skin mod not included:
Kotaku article
Lifehacker article
Mike's instructions
Youtube video  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 pm
This kind of voids the warranty, doesn't it?

I don't want to risk it.  

Waynebrizzle

Owwin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm
I'm not gonna do it either, I am just presenting the option to those risk takers out there. I am worried it will be used for piracy, but I trust culties. Kind of. XD  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 am
... my warranty will expire in like 3 weeks, i may try this then...  

Darkweaver66

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:11 am
I would install the Homebrew Channel, but it all seems a little complicated to me.  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:59 am
The warranty lasts a year, right? :/ So mine's been gone for like, a year since January, or was it two years ago? o.o I got it a couple months after launch, so the warranty is void no matter what. xD

I'd do it, I play games off my PSP memory stick.
>.>
<.<
I'm at school though, and like ******** I'm bringing my Wii downtown. ******** crack heads.

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

GuruGuru214

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 pm
I would do this in a second...if I had an external hard drive or the money to purchase one. I've already got the Homebrew Channel installed, so that's half the battle. By the way, I highly recommend loading the Homebrew Channel if you've got a pre-4.0 System Menu. The Twilight Hack is pretty awesome to see in action.  
'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games