Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Islamic scholar on How to Talk to Atheists

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:21 am
Found this interesting Islamic video about how to talk to atheists. I thought he was a pretty goof speaker, but his comments about atheism being unnatural and atheists having "darkened" minds really ticked me off. And their was one argument that he didn't mention. How come he believes in "allah" and not any other god? The only answer he can give is that the Koran says allah is the only god. Which isn't a good answer if your trying to sound smart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-CTMu2mZQI  
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 pm
User Image

He sounds flowery enough to convince some people, perhaps, but his reasoning is completely flawed. He's a pretentious little thing who uses a lot of words to say...... well, not much. He is intelligent enough to know that these words he puts in our mouths are totally fallacious and stupid (especially the example of camel dung).

1. Atheism is not a "fringe" belief; it is the default state in which humans are born. People don't start believing in gods and going to worship until someone or something gives them the idea to do so. Someone in ancient times looked for an explanation of things, determined that some higher power must have been responsible, and then spread that idea around to others. Religion is a meme, which in itself does not make it truth.

2. Concerning the "God Spot" in the brain and humans being "hard-wired" for belief: Since there is an area in our brains that produces religious experiences when it is poked, damaged, whatever.... how does that prove anything other than that the religious experience is a product of the brain's reactions?

3. About the design of the camel, etc.: See listing for "evolution."

4. It kills me that he "proves" that logic is faulty with the example of the bowling ball and the marble, but then goes on to rely on logic to prop up most of his arguments. This is the babble of an uneducated child.

5. The story about the lucky guy who missed his plane in Egypt and found out later that the plane crashed, and all other stories like this that people use to try to "prove" the existence of their gods just anger me to no end. So, rather than accept that it was most likely a coincidence, they'd rather say that God killed all those other people, who most likely were believers, and saved that ONE person? That one person was somehow more valuable than the entire plane full? He says that it may appear to be evil when it is really good - so, it's good that the entire plane was lost, JUST to prove a point to that one guy who got lucky? No, I don't think so.

LOLOLOL "if God has permitted it, it is for good." "If God let it happen, then I have to trust that good must be in it." Riiiiight.

This is not convincing me of anything, but it IS dancing on my last nerve and threatening to give me flashbacks to the brainwashing that I had in high school.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dark Lord Erebus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:42 am
last I checked marriage is a socially learnt not known from birth, and the idea of god is a nature thing but not to a higher being but for people to use as a crutch so they can relieve some aspects of their life others just built off this. And those people who had religious experiences after their brain was shocked their visions was related to their own religion. I think that guy is a religiously biased douche.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am
>>;; Wow what a t**t.  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

RestlessRenegade

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Quote:
"...darkened without the light of religion and knowledge."

It's hilarious that I actually found someone to use those two words in the same sentence without disproving the connection.

Quote:
"...((atheism is)) unnatural."

Bah. Just because we're the minority doesn't make us unnatural. It just makes us different.

He completely contradicted himself when he got into the Greek philosophers. He said that they were wrong about the bowling ball and marble (which, technically, isn't what they were wrong about as there was no bowling ball back then), but that they concluded that there was a god. If they were wrong about the first thing, then the implication is...?

Majority does not prove something. Just because most people believe in god doesn't mean that he exists. How is marriage natural? We aren't born with the tendency to "marry." Unless he's using that to subtly mean mating--which we are born with.

His argument about belief in god is non sequitor. He doesn't explain how precisely god fits in with the other things listed there--which, by the way, are nearly all physiological. We eat, mate, breathe, and use the restroom for our physical bodies, not because of our minds. God is not a physical necessity; he's a mental one.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 am
dark mind?
phst I didn't know cleaning up the Earth and donating to charity was considered dark (obv i'm atheist and I dont need a God to persuade me to do good things because I want to do good things anyway because I want to!)  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Misanthropic Altruist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm
Wow. What an idiot.

Barely two minutes has passed and already he shows his utter stupidity. "We can't find Atheistic people in history" "Atheism came around during the 20th century with Communism"

How does he explain the Huns then?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:25 pm
He doesn't feel the need to believe in the Huns. He, along with all people of religion, "rejects reality and substitutes it with his own"  

The Singular Enigma

Misanthropic Altruist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 pm
The Singular Enigma
He doesn't feel the need to believe in the Huns. He, along with all people of religion, "rejects reality and substitutes it with his own"
Oh yeah, I forgot. Fundamentalists don't like to use logic.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 pm
The Singular Enigma
"rejects reality and substitutes it with his own"

Didn't Adam Savage from Mythbusters say that once?  

In Search of a Dream

Dark Lord Erebus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm
I have a question, civilizations make gods to explain the unexplainable to them like why it floods, how life was to be. If a civilization was always able to explain everything and made ways to get around problems would they ever need to make up a god, the circumstances would be hard to name but you get the drift.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games