Welcome to Gaia! ::

The SpanGlish Guild

Back to Guilds

Aprende Ingles. --//-- Learn spanish!! FIRST BILINGUAL GUILD!!!!!! 

Tags: Español, Ingles, Contests, Games, Spanish 

Reply School//Escuela
culture/cultura

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

antifreeze1994

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:59 pm
Can someone explain a Quinceañera to me question sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:24 pm
from what i understand, its a hispanic version of a sweet sixteen, except taking place at age 15. im pretty sure they usually envolve choriography, but i don't know the details... sweatdrop  

planetearth237

TeDdY_bEcHiA16
Vice Captain

8,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm
While for americans the sweet 16 is the most important birthday for a girl, for hispans are the 15, I mean a quinceañera is someone who´s fifteen.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 pm
its interesting actually, the jewish tradition had something like this. its called a bar-mitzvah for boys and bat-mitzvah for girls. 12 years for girls 13 for boys, except usually girls have it at 13 nowadays. i wonder if they are related...  

planetearth237

kaynick007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm
Yep. My sweet 16 was kinda like a quince as well. I had the changing of the shoes ceremony and the waltz with my dad. It was really nice.
While sweet 16's have a dance with the father and the 16 candle ceremony, quinces have some traditions as well.
Regardless of the custom, both are coming of age ceremonies..  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 am
Oh the Quinceañera stuff...

Nowadays its not very common...but here in México it was a huge celebration (elegant dresses and everything) for the 15 year old girls with the purpose to introduce her to the society as "a woman"...

In those parties, the "quinceañera" had to dance a waltz with her father first, then she had to dance with some "chambelanes" which are guys about her age or older that she had chosen previously (could be cousins or friends...even the boyfriend)

Now, girls choose to travel...or a fancy car...because they think it´s old-fashioned and pretty silly...  

Amilopectina

School//Escuela

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff