Reply Feather Stories: the creators guild
Tips on drawing!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

try-so-hard5

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:46 am
Hey people, obviously this post says "Tips on drawing", so this isnt a post on the way you should draw, just some of mine and anyone elses hints, tips, or even tricks on making learning how to draw easier.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 am
Well, I don't know about drawing itself, but remember ever so often to 'step back' from what you're drawing.

I usually draw on a flat table, sitting in a slouched why, so I see the paper (and the picture) from a slanted view. But when I actually LOOK at it directly on, all the proportions are wrong....

Though, if you have GIMP/PhotoShop or others, you can just fix that on the computer...  

StarlessJoy

5,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

try-so-hard5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:44 pm
1. Always have a good light source.
- it will help you see your picture better ( obviously)
- don't draw under a dim light or you'll strain your eyes and have to get
glasses

2. Have a nice sharp pencil
- I use a mechanical pencil because the tip is always pointed

3. Use light strokes on the paper
- You won't have to worry about making a mistake because its easy to erase the light lines

4. Have fun! xp
- You should always have fun with drawing
- Don't get frustrated over one drawing.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 am
I need some tips on about drawing on Corel Painter X I have no idea how to make the pencil cloner to look more smooth instead of being sharp at the edges? '-' I'm a beginner at using these things  

Anin Meister

Bashful Bear

AKA Michiyo-Nakashima

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Heres my advice if you're starting to draw anime characters.
A good way to learn is to get a picture of one of your favorite anime characters. The best pictures if you're starting out, is a full front picture, or a picture of only the head and shoulders, and not something too complicated(Or else you'll frustrate yourself) then just try drawing. Take your time and don't worry about EVERY detail. Drawing takes ALOT of practice, (I know this because I still can't draw profile nose and mouth, and I can't draw action poses correctly. Same goes for hands alot of the time)

OR, you can try tracing basic pictures a few times so you get used to a characters design especially if you want to draw a specific character. After tracing a few times, try drawing it woth the picture next to you. Thats how I learned, But it takes practice to perfect skills. biggrin
I hope it was good advice biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55 am
Thank you very much that was useful but still I have no idea how to make the stokes of the pencil cloner smoother every time I use it, it looks like I'm still using MS Paints  

Anin Meister

Bashful Bear

Wolfitsune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:07 pm
I would have to say that considering the power of every line helps me. whether the line curves 15 degrees of an angle up (its an example) or 60 degrees will determine a sly smile and a silly grin.
also, use proportional imaging, meaning that (hopefully) one eye wont be bigger than another.
I could rant on, but I'd rather stop here.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:14 pm
When working on the base sketch, limit yourself to about 5 minutes tops.

You can easily ruin a picture by over working it.  

ArcNeoMasato
Vice Captain

Sparkly Gawker

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250

Wolfitsune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:56 am
mirrors are very useful tools when drawing.
every so often and when you think youre done, look at the reflection of your drawing.
It helps you notice things that either weren't there before or that should be there.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:53 pm
You can also just hold the picture up to a light and look through the backside of the paper.

It's also a good idea to look at a picture from a distance. Some flaws only show up when you get some space between you and the picture.  

ArcNeoMasato
Vice Captain

Sparkly Gawker

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250
Feather Stories: the creators guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers