Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:57 pm
Quote:
VB: And one of those new surprises is the Wii Vitality Sensor?

SI: The sensor doesn’t have a direct connection to Wii motion sensing. But let me say why we made an announcement about it at this time. Take the example of Wii Fit. When we talked about it two years ago, a lot of people thought the Wii Balance Board was crazy. They thought Nintendo would start selling a bathroom scale. But Wii Fit became a success because we saw a “blue ocean strategy.” But now a lot of companies are fighting in the red ocean of follow-up exercise games. [Note: As discussed in the Blue Ocean Strategy book, too many sharks in one area make a red ocean; but innovators who swim in the blue ocean have no rivals]. When we introduced the Wii controller, we were in the blue ocean and this year is still the blue ocean. But the year 2010 may become the red ocean for motion-sensing controls, based on what Microsoft and Sony say. The advantage for Nintendo is that we always try to do things that other companies don’t try to do. That is something that the general public appreciates. That’s why we have to introduce this Wii Vitality Sensor. A lot of people must be wondering what the hell this is about. But that’s exactly the way people felt two years ago with the Wii Balance Board. Looking at the history of video games, and game controllers in particular, you have always controlled it consciously. That’s what the name implies. Starting from the movements of your fingers to the shifting of the body mass, you always control it consciously.

VB: How is this going to be different?

SI: We have been trying a variety of different technologies and possibilities. We have found that a lot of information can be found through the pulse of a human being. The pulse is not the simple measurement of just your heartbeat. It provides a number of other signals through your body. It can show how your automatic nervous system is operating.

VB: Your nervousness or calmness?

SI: Not exactly that. Your automatic nerves. You can’t control it consciously, but your heart always beats. You may sweat. Your body may shiver. Those are signals of your automatic nerves. By trying to sense the nerves, it can tell a lot. The pulse can include this information. You may feel totally relaxed. Maybe you will play a horror game and the sensor can tell how scared you are. Several other things can be learned from the pulse, like if you are breathing in or breathing out. We may come up with interesting new software that we sell with the new Wii Vitality Sensor, much like we sold the Wii Balance Board with Wii Fit. Sometimes you are physically tired at night but your brain is functioning too much to go to sleep. If you can have software that helps you understand how you can shift from such a tense situation to being more relaxed, then that would help. At some point, what is invisible can become visible. You can learn your level of relaxation.

What we have inside the Wii Vitality Sensor is an optical sensor. It sends light through your finger and detects the amount of blood that it passes through. If there is more blood, the more light is blocked. We can calculate a relaxation level, through my heartbeat and my breathing in and breathing out. With yoga, they try to calm the nerves through meditation. If you can become conscious about it, you can control it. Some of our employees see their vitality go up at the end of the week because they may be looking forward to the weekend. Normally, this is invisible. A long time ago we sold something called a Love Tester. A boy and girl would shake hands to see how passionate they were. I think boys simply wanted to touch girls’ hands. There was no science behind this. Now we may be able to do a real Love Tester.

VB: I would guess you will talk about a game that uses this soon?

SI: You can see we are already working on a lot of this. Maybe we will announce the game next year.

Link

I'm pretty skeptical about this, but if anyone can pull something like this off, it's got to be Nintendo. The Wiimote, the balance board, a two screened handheld system, and now the vitality sensor. They constantly surprise me, and they constantly do a good job with what they show off. I only wish it had an expansion port on it so I could play it with nunchuk + Wiimote games, as clumsy as it'd be.

That said, this thing seems a little creepy. xd It can make things visible that were not so before. This is why I love Nintendo. They keep changing it up.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 pm
I kind of just assumed it was for the WiiFit crowd.  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 pm
Teh AK
I kind of just assumed it was for the WiiFit crowd.
It might be, and it might be used for more, like the Balance Board is. Either way, I'm more interested in this now than I was for Wii Fit, then.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:41 pm
Capcom's gotta grab a hold of this for Resident Evil and stuff.

Like, the more nervous you are, the shakier your aim is...or something

Harusame Mizukishi

Dapper Lunatic

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:04 am
Harusame Mizukishi

Manhunt on the PS2 did something similar to this with their headset. You wear it and have to keep totally quiet or the enemies hear you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:04 am
Meta_Fish
Harusame Mizukishi

Manhunt on the PS2 did something similar to this with their headset. You wear it and have to keep totally quiet or the enemies hear you.

Now that's clever.

But if you're like me, your heart starts pounding before a big boss fight. I think it'd be cool for more games to pull a Psycho Mantis and mess with you more.

Harusame Mizukishi

Dapper Lunatic

problematic briefcase

O.G. Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:18 am
Harusame Mizukishi
Meta_Fish
Harusame Mizukishi

Now that's clever.

But if you're like me, your heart starts pounding before a big boss fight. I think it'd be cool for more games to pull a Psycho Mantis and mess with you more.

As much as I love RE, NO!

A new Silent Hill game could benefit from something like this, that Dead Space game, or a totally new game. <********, why not allow a sequel (universe-wise) of Eternal Darkness, except the Sanity Meter would be directly affected by events caused in the game, and those in-game events are caused by what the Vitality things reads.

I posted it in the Spam Can. >.>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:29 am
Harusame Mizukishi
Meta_Fish
Harusame Mizukishi

Now that's clever.

You should look into Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, then. That game was shown off at E3 and it does that kind of stuff really awesomely.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Harusame Mizukishi

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 am
Meta_Fish
Harusame Mizukishi
Meta_Fish
Harusame Mizukishi

Now that's clever.

You should look into Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, then. That game was shown off at E3 and it does that kind of stuff really awesomely.

I saw that. Looks cool.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:11 pm
Sadly, it just looks ridiculous to me.  

Kalathiss

L a s t B a s t a r d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:51 pm
I'm not really interested in how this is going to be used in games, guys. What I really want to learn more about is what the hell this thing can do.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:55 pm
I see promise packaged with possibilities.  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

l-Kriel-l

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:06 pm
ilu Nintendo

Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited to see how this is actually going to be used. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:22 pm
Hmmm... XD I smell a crazy scheme of schemes... Man I don't know what I'm trying to say, but if can be incorporated in to something like a game or whatever, that would be pretty awesome. 3nodding  

Fusion_X_ Rebirth

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:39 pm
Virtual boy

But lets be honest, it was a follow up on the whole virtual reality fantasy of the time.

There were a couple dozen companies making shitty products like that... didn't sega have one?  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff