Welcome to Gaia! ::

Classical Musicians Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Classical, Musician, Band, Orchestra, Choir 

Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Anyone else in this place who loves Pentatonic scales/songs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

13Mizu-Chan13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:50 pm
I've only played one piece (with three movements) with three different scales of the pentatonic scales... but i just love pentatonic music! So beautiful!

For those who don't know, the difference in a pentatonic and a regular scale is this: Regular scales have eight notes (or twice/thrice as many depending on the octave) but the pentatonic has Five (or twice/thrice depending on the octave {if there are octaves on the pentatonic})

Also, Pentatonic sounds oriental, compared to our "Octatonic" (Thats not a word I know...) scales.

So post weather you love them, like them or despise them.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:01 pm
Yeah I like playing Debussy's stuff, which is sometimes pentatonic. Like Voiles. :3 a simple and easy piece, but still a pretty one in its own way.  

Confutatis Maledictus

Wings

Invisible Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:43 pm
13Mizu-Chan13
Also, Pentatonic sounds oriental, compared to our "Octatonic" (Thats not a word I know...) scales.

Er, no... Western music is based mostly on seven-note diatonic scales. Octatonic (which is an actual word) scales aren't something you find very often, even though they're fun.

That said, I love pentatonic scales. It's present in a lot Asian folk/traditional music, and they've always been a favourite of mine.

Debussy uses a lot of different scales in his music; other examples that features pentatonic is "La Fille aux cheveux de lin" (Preludes Book I) and "Pagodes" (Estampes).  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 am
I play traditional Chinese music and a good chunk of it is pentatonic. So yes, I love them. 3nodding  

Escargot

Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff