Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Kicked out of Bible study??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akyri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:12 pm
Regardless of being atheistic, I am still heavily involved in the Christian community. I go to Church, attend Bible study, and often to go to Christian events. About 95% of my friends are Christian. I'm not exactly sure why I enjoy being involved.. I guess it's because I enjoy being with my friends, learning from different points of view, and causing a bit of controversy. I love it when Church members approach me asking "So has your view on God changed yet?", to which I always reply with a cheerful "Nope!"

But they kicked me out of Bible study!! Why? Apparently I'm too open-minded. One senior member even went as far as hinting that I'm being manipulated by Satan.

Their reasons for kicking me out confuse me; I've only ever been respectfully honest about where I stand and I've never tried to force my beliefs on anyone, and frankly I'm out number one to eight so there's no way I'd ever try to start a debate. Wouldn't they, as Christians, want to give "non-believers" every opportunity to get to know their God?
The only reason I joined in the first place was because I love discussing the Bible and I can't think of any better place to do so. Where else am I suppose to find Bible thumpers?

I've asked a couple of times if I can re-join, but I've been told that they've had to decline my participation until I was ready to re-examine my spirituality. Apparently they're giving me an ultimatum: Convert or Die!! (Or rather, convert or lose your social status)
What's next? Excommunication from the church?

Why can't atheists be in Bible studies?
Why on earth did they feel the need to kick me out?

Opinions???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 am
My theory is that, after seeing you exposed to the bible so much and you still not being convinced about its "truth" has caused others(maybe not a lot, but a little is enough) to question their faith.
And as we all know, thats a major no-no in jebusland. so how do they keep themselves from questioning their faith?

Expell the doubter!

... Thats my theory, anyway.  

Kidrahs

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:34 am
Kidrahs
My theory is that, after seeing you exposed to the bible so much and you still not being convinced about its "truth" has caused others(maybe not a lot, but a little is enough) to question their faith.
And as we all know, thats a major no-no in jebusland. so how do they keep themselves from questioning their faith?

Expell the doubter!

Agreed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:31 pm
User ImageUnfortunately, I have to agree with Kidrahs too. You might be causing them to think about their beliefs in ways that scare them. Not all, but many, of these religious folk have the mindset that if they have doubts or thoughts of atheism in their minds, that those thoughts HAD to have come from satan, because they couldn't possibly have come from inside their own minds. It's sad how self-loathing they can become in their denial of their own thoughts.User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Zinroni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:57 pm
You can find a few verses in the bible that say something like "dont discriminate" or something like that. And, ask them why and if they dont answer, give them Kidrahs's theory and ask them if it is why. If they take more then 5-10 seconds, say in an quiet angry tone "i knew christians werent open minded". That might cause them to feel that they have sinned and forces them to let you back in.
But thats the a$$hole approach. You could also say that you will not discuss your atheism in the class and will not deny nor accept the fact that there isa "god'.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:12 pm
You can try talking to a higher power.

Or tell them that their actions are more important than their beliefs.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Moochka

6,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 pm
Kidrahs

Expell the doubter!

This.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:09 am
You can go to the head of that church and tell them that disallowing someone access to a public club (especially because of their religious beliefs) is against the law.  

Candid Grin

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 pm
All I can say is people who don't let you think for your self are never your friends.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm
You can't get excommunicated because you're not in the church.

Why can't atheists be in Bible studies?

You can, just not with theists, because then you'll piss them off. Go to a library and study the bible yourself. If you're in college, that should be even easier.

Why on earth did they feel the need to kick me out?

They're CHRISTIANS.

(no, honestly, if you seriously think you can stay atheistic and be friends with them, you're very, very, very mistaken, m'dear. The truth is right in your face: They won't give you a third option. Convert or leave is really the way they go with (which is one of the reasons why I'm an atheist). It doesn't mean theists and atheists must always be enemies. It means that atheists are being hated one-sidedly. It's like that thing with US and Iran Obama talked about: US is extending her open hand, but Iran must first release her fist. Atheists welcome theists who are willing to discuss religion neutrally, but firstly theists have to get open-minded)  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

AiRilakkuma

1,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 am
HiverReine
Kidrahs

Expell the doubter!

This.

3nodding
You should go anyways. and say "I BELIEVE" but make your usually comments and questions. xD  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:48 am
i just say don't bother
i mean come on
i dislike bible studies  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff