Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
School of Choice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:29 am
For those who have or want to make a career out of graphic design or related fields, what post-secondary school did/are/will you attend? Did you go to a regular college or university, community collage, trade school, what?

Myself, I spent just under a year at the Art Institute of Portland and am presently looking forward to going back, as things seem to be moving that way. I can't really compare it to other schools (unless you count the Art Institute Online which I did for a semester through Portland's), as I only have high school and a few college tours to go off, but I know I love AIPD and its staff (those I met, at least).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:18 am
I am still at my community collage after 4 years. sweatdrop (I trying to decide what I wanted to do in the arts after I lost my interest in animation). I have my interests in product design and the two schools I have interest are Otis and Art Center College of Art and Design. Though Art Center has the better side of product design. Before I might consider those places I might attend the community college in Pasadena (all of these schools I am mentioning are in California XD) I was recommended to go there to take their product design classes before transferring.

Though I visited Cal Arts before the summer started and that place looked pretty nice graphic design. Most if it was hands on the counselor said and I saw all the posters in her room. When I looked closely to one of them I saw the paint (it made me wanna learn to do printing >w<). Though the place is very experimental.  

shiroiusagi

ichigo1981

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 pm
Well I too started off at a community college, there is nothing wrong with that!!! The animation classes you've take will come in handy, so dont stray from it. Most people tend to start at cc level to build up a portfolio in order to enroll into a post secondary, because most colleges now (meaning art schools) want to see some work you have done depending on the area of study you enroll in. I not sure if its true for all colleges but some are like that. I want to go to Savanah College Of Art and Design (SCAD)!!! I visited once I was blown away, the programs are awesome. A couple of class mates of mine went. But for those who haven't decided yet take your time but not to much, Learn all you can from whatever college you go to, yeah I know you want to party, and I'm not knocking anyone who does, like everything do it in moderation!! I say this because I dont want you to make the same mistakes I've made!!! I sorry for getting off topic here my bad!!! If you have question or want to talk I'm here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 pm
ichigo1981
Well I too started off at a community college, there is nothing wrong with that!!! The animation classes you've take will come in handy, so dont stray from it. Most people tend to start at cc level to build up a portfolio in order to enroll into a post secondary, because most colleges now (meaning art schools) want to see some work you have done depending on the area of study you enroll in. I not sure if its true for all colleges but some are like that. I want to go to Savanah College Of Art and Design (SCAD)!!! I visited once I was blown away, the programs are awesome. A couple of class mates of mine went. But for those who haven't decided yet take your time but not to much, Learn all you can from whatever college you go to, yeah I know you want to party, and I'm not knocking anyone who does, like everything do it in moderation!! I say this because I dont want you to make the same mistakes I've made!!! I sorry for getting off topic here my bad!!! If you have question or want to talk I'm here.

Nice SCAD, I hope you get there. smile That place looks pretty sweet too. XD

Though it is good you said about making a solid decision on the school that you want to go to, Ichigo. XD I find that important too, cause my cousin told me the same. >w<  

shiroiusagi

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:45 am
Heh, one of the webcomics I read (Zebra Girl), the creator went to SCAD. That is the only thing I know about the place.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:27 pm
I went to Pratt MWP and have a lot of friends going to Pratt. It's a great place, especially for drawing and commercial arts majors. I highly recommend it, though perhaps i'm biased XD. SCAD i hear good things about, especially in terms of drawing and illustration.

amosa

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff