Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Thanks for the Jesus References, Takeuchi Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xLolitapop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 am
Of course, every story comes from another story, and we cannot deny that Takeuchi uses many biblical references in Sailor Moon. Usagi is the Jesus figure, in her art books there is a picture of Usagi with over 9000 crosses on her, and I don't know about you guys, but that bothers me, like did you really need to ruin something so nice by making it a religious thing?

And furthermore, "god" is mentioned throughout the series, and it's like, what does god have anything to do with anything if the silver crystal is the most powerful of all?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:02 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

==========
A very small degree of hope

Crosses are just symbols for most people, meaning that the symbol itself doesn't mean anything. Just because Naoko used them for characters doesn't mean anything. I mean hell, Haruka wears one half the time in the anime and a few times in the manga

As for the "god" references, it never says that. It mentions a "messiah" of sorts, of which they never know if he/she is good or evil until the last minute (like in Sailor Moon S, Rei and Darian in the manga have dreams of "The Messiah" but they don't know if it's one of death or to save them. In the end, Usagi was the "messiah")

is sufficient to cause the birth of love
==========

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Avane Anime

Aged Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 am
Many anime bring multiple religions into them, I don't think that it necessarily makes them religious in nature. I think it just adds to the mystical/magical feel. Clearly yes, sailor moon does have some shades of the biblical Jesus story, but altered for the ends of the SM universe. I mean honestly a lot of the references would be considered blasphemous if you were to take them in a conventionally religious way so I really don't see how that's "ruining" it.

I also don't recall god specifically being mentioned in either the anime or manga so I'm not sure what you're thinking about there.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 am
If I recall she is a buddhist. XD But it doesn't matter really does it? Most Japanese are fascinated by and interested in multiple religions and use them as bases for stories etc.  

Pandorra

Magical Shoujo

8,700 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Campaign Manager 500

NichiTsukinoko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 am
As a Christian I have to say that I think it's a bit offensive to say that incorperating aspects found in Christian Mythology "ruins" something. It is just plain rude. Just because you don't personally agree with a certain school of thought doesn't mean it's bad.

further more, Takeuchi pulls from many mythological refrences including japanese: IE: Rabbit of the Moon, Greek: IE: the symbols of all the scouts are based on the greek/roman symbols for the planets and their powers are based on the elements and astrological signs linked to those planets. So clearly Christianity is not the only mythology from which she draws inspiration.

Also Mars is a Shinto priestess. Not a nun or a minister.

I think she just likes some of the themes found in different religions and truthfully the reason why religions survive for so long is because they all include memorable or inspiring stories that withstand the test of time.

Including aspects of many different religions may just help to broaden the marketability by incorperating easily recognizable themes.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm
NichiTsukinoko
As a Christian I have to say that I think it's a bit offensive to say that incorperating aspects found in Christian Mythology "ruins" something. It is just plain rude. Just because you don't personally agree with a certain school of thought doesn't mean it's bad.

further more, Takeuchi pulls from many mythological refrences including japanese: IE: Rabbit of the Moon, Greek: IE: the symbols of all the scouts are based on the greek/roman symbols for the planets and their powers are based on the elements and astrological signs linked to those planets. So clearly Christianity is not the only mythology from which she draws inspiration.

I think she just likes some of the themes found in different religions and truthfully the reason why religions survive for so long is because they all include memorable or inspiring stories that withstand the test of time.

Including aspects of many different religions may just help to broaden the marketability by incorperating easily recognizable themes.

==========

You also have to include the fact that she included the Star Seeds, which was what reincarnated the Scouts in the first place (Serenity even says in reference to Endymion, "no matter what life we're in, we'll find one another".)

Therefore, reincarnation from the Hindu faith is included as well in Sailor Moon

==========

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:15 pm
when'd they mention god? the only thing I'm thinking of is either when they're at the temple and someone prays or Rei does a ritual or when a bad guy thinks they are a god.

Anyways, anything that has a fight of good against evil can be translated to something biblical somehow. It's really not that hard to do.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:50 pm
NichiTsukinoko

Ditto 100%!

Just because a show has someone who wears a cross doesn't mean they're Christian! And it would not ruin an anime if it did have someone who was Christian in it!

Ugh, honestly... some people... I swear.... >.> I'm Christian and it's times like this I lose my Faith... in people.  

Tora Yukino

Divine Kitten

NichiTsukinoko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 pm
Lady Tora
NichiTsukinoko

Ditto 100%!

Just because a show has someone who wears a cross doesn't mean they're Christian! And it would not ruin an anime if it did have someone who was Christian in it!

Ugh, honestly... some people... I swear.... >.> I'm Christian and it's times like this I lose my Faith... in people.

I know. Right? If we, as Christians said we disagreed with something because it wasn't Christian and that anything not Christian was evil we would be branded as looney and small minded. But those same people that would brand us for being looney and small minded seem to have no problems doing that same thing to us simply because we believe in something that they don't agree with.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:57 am
It doesn't ruin anything. She has hundreds of references to different religions. There are tons of animes that use christian mythology. Does it ruin them? Not unless it sucked to begin with, in which case it sucks period. And s**t, is it that terrible if Usagi is actually one of the few Christians in Japan?  

Ryuondo

xLolitapop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:40 pm
I was watching the anime, first season, and there's an episode, I forgot which, but in the beginning, she was like, "In the name of god, I shall punish you!"

Yes, Rei is a shinto priestess, but shinto is like, the national religion, totally understandable, and it's practices aren't flaunted or anything like that. I just meant that, of course there are references to mythology and such but it needn't be blatant.

You don't see a senshi wearing a ying yang symbol on her, or a moon and star [islamic symbol it's like (*] but as was mentioned, we do see characters wearing crosses.

I just don't see the point of that. It doesn't totally ruin it, wrong word choice, but it makes me see things differently.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:44 pm
xLolitapop
I was watching the anime, first season, and there's an episode, I forgot which, but in the beginning, she was like, "In the name of god, I shall punish you!"

Yes, Rei is a shinto priestess, but shinto is like, the national religion, totally understandable, and it's practices aren't flaunted or anything like that. I just meant that, of course there are references to mythology and such but it needn't be blatant.

You don't see a senshi wearing a ying yang symbol on her, or a moon and star [islamic symbol it's like (*] but as was mentioned, we do see characters wearing crosses.

I just don't see the point of that. It doesn't totally ruin it, wrong word choice, but it makes me see things differently.

==========

Well, if this'll help comfort your mind...

As for the thing about crosses and whatnot, while Christianity is small in Japan, it's still takes up about 1+% of the nation while Shinto is the biggest, the next being Buddhist. (I know 1% doesn't sound like much, but that's still 1-2 million Japanese people)

As for the episode thing, what fansubber version were you watching? =/

==========

Venombabe

Timely Muse

14,125 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200

xLolitapop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:48 pm
Venombabe

Well, if this'll help comfort your mind...

As for the thing about crosses and whatnot, while Christianity is small in Japan, it's still takes up about 1+% of the nation while Shinto is the biggest, the next being Buddhist. (I know 1% doesn't sound like much, but that's still 1-2 million Japanese people)

As for the episode thing, what fansubber version were you watching? =/

I am watching these:

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/sailor-moon-english-dubbed-online-free

I'm not sure, but it may have been the episode where naru meets that one priest, when the senshi and everyone is questing those rainbow crystals  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:27 am
If it is "in the name of God, I will punish you" and it happens to be in the episode after Nephlite dies and Molly meets the priest with the rainbow crystal inside him, then all you have to do is chalk it up to once again the script writers feeling like they have to incorporate something about the enemy of the week in her "I will punish you!" speech.

Say if she is facing a water monster she'll say something retarded like "In the name of the moon I will cool your jets!"

Not even Michiru and Haruka were safe. In the move the black dream hole, where Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus show up to give their entrance speech, we get to see one of the most educated characters in the show say "It's time to give these candies cavities!".

Seriously? would Uranus or Neptune ever really say that? No. They are in college. But that was the style of writing and the format that was used more and more frequently through out the show.

If you had watched enough of the show and the movies you would know that. Just admit it. You are a Christian hater and you hate all references to my religion.  

NichiTsukinoko

xLolitapop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 am
NichiTsukinoko
If you had watched enough of the show and the movies you would know that. Just admit it. You are a Christian hater and you hate all references to my religion.

I've seen it all, just not in English. I'm not a christian hater, and it isn't YOUR religion. Even if I was a hater, it's none of your business, I can hate whatever you may love. That's not the point. The religious references, at least in the anime, are predominantly Christian.

Besides, this discussion is finished, you didn't need to add in your two cents, you tried sounding smart and then just came off as a jerk in the end. I never asked you what your religious preference is, nor do I care.

How do you know that I'M not christian? Don't you know it's a sin to bash thy neighbor? You're going to hell for this, you know. That's how it works, right?  
Home

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff