Stanley Kubrick

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

irock708

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:18 am
Genius director = genius man.

2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove, the Shining.

Discuss.

Though, I highly doubt anyone here has heard of him.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 am
Why has nobody responded to this? Kubrick is one of my all-time favorite directors, and the only English-speaking one.

I didn't really like Full Metal Jacket quite so much as the rest of his works - the entire first half was a little over-done/over-acted/over-dramatized in my opinion, or at least the way that he handled the flipping-out of Pile was.

2001 and a Clockwork Orange were epic, but for different reasons. 2001 had incredible cinematography, and in that was quite thought-provoking. A Clockwork Orange had some good moments of cinematography (the first scene at the milk bar, the bit under the bridge, etc.), but it was mostly just so thought-provoking. The meaning and message of that film was astounding.

I've got Dr. Strangelove on my playlist, but haven't watched it yet. The Shining... ehh. That guy who acts in it, what's his name... ah.... Nicholson! Yeah, that guy. He's good in some movies, and not so hot in others. Like, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was really good for him, but the one in which he's the devil or whatever and goes to that town and seduces those ladies wasn't so good. Plus The Shining was originally written by Stephen King, so it was baloney to begin with. Kubrick did a good job making it less terrible, but there's only so much you can do if King wrote it.  

Fiat Lux Aeterna

Hybrid Defect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 pm
Ok, I thought 2001 was insufferably boring. I enjoyed Full Metal Jacked but it was ruined for me in Highschool on because there was always those people who just had to be counter culture, quoting R Lee Ermey and talking about the one Tim Burton movie they saw.
Clockwork Orange was ok but I haven't seen it in ages. I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove.
The Shining was great but Jack Nicholson had a lot to do with it.
Eyes Wide Shut was garbage but Leelee Sobieski is hot.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm
Hybrid, first thing I'm going to say is: that's totally cool. I'm not gonna bash on you for not liking the stuff I like. Whatever, you can do what you like. I really would suggest that you watch Clockwork Orange again, though - it gets better every time I watch it. And I really do have to ask, what was so boring about 2001? Yes, it was a little slower than the book (even in terms of time spent doing each - I think I read the entire book in like an hour and a half or something), but it was still pretty sweet in my opinion.

Ah! I totally forgot to mention that I watched Barry Lyndon a while ago. I think that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't known it was a Kubrick - getting the message from that one (well, messages other than just the surface ones, at least) required more thought than most of his other stuff, which was partly from the length, and partly from the subject matter (historical rather than fantastical). Gotta say, it's not my favorite, but I do believe that for what it was made for, it was made really well.  

Fiat Lux Aeterna

Movies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff