Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Hippie Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild promoting peace, love and music. 

Tags: Hippie, Flower Child, Peace, Love, Music 

Reply The Gaian Hippie Guild
Freeganism Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 pm
Basically, its a person who instead of buys food from the grocery store, they go through the garbage looking for food which has nothing wrong with it. And make a meal from found foods. They do this to preserve resources.

I have tried this but it feels a bit weird when people see me ><

Its taught to us that living in a non-3rd world country, that once people throw it away, it's not longer food, its now rubbish - don't touch it, don't eat it. Its trash.

And from that lesson we're taught, it doesn't matter whether its edible, or half eaten, or expired. Once its thrown away and discarded, its seen as weird to go through and get it.

* Is anyone here a Freegan?
* Would you, could you live like this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm
umm idk if i could but i would be willing to try ^^  

HippieKrowly

Kustom Klyde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:50 pm
I'm not sure about that one. I can't see myself digging thru garbage cans for someone's food. The again food allergies are in my house so gotta be more careful on what I bring into the home.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:47 am
Kustom Klyde
I'm not sure about that one. I can't see myself digging thru garbage cans for someone's food. The again food allergies are in my house so gotta be more careful on what I bring into the home.

Well pro's never dig through the trash xD
Really good ones go to commercial grocery stores and time when they throw out their deli & bakery food which they cant sell, and just get it right off the top, haha ^^  

PiercedPixie2

capn crunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm
PiercedPixie2
Really good ones go to commercial grocery stores and time when they throw out their deli & bakery food which they cant sell, and just get it right off the top, haha ^^

That kinda sounds like the life of a homeless person to me... But I'm not saying it's a bad one. In fact that sounds very resourceful. I don't think I could ever do that though, unless the situation demanded it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:18 pm
PiercedPixie2
Kustom Klyde

yeah id totaly try that ^^  

HippieKrowly

Hatheos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:49 pm
I think I'll pass on this one. Not sure if I would want to risk the possibility of eating spoiled food. No freegan would find anything in my trash, I eat everything down to the core and bone. Unless they want to try eating my apple pits and chicken bones. Usually, if I can, spoiled produce and scraps go right into a compost pile. If I want free food, I'd much rather go fishing or berry picking, for example.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm
Astaru
I think I'll pass on this one. Not sure if I would want to risk the possibility of eating spoiled food. No freegan would find anything in my trash, I eat everything down to the core and bone. Unless they want to try eating my apple pits and chicken bones. Usually, if I can, spoiled produce and scraps go right into a compost pile. If I want free food, I'd much rather go fishing or berry picking, for example.

Or you could eat bugs! They have a nutritious supply of protein. : ) hahah  

capn crunk

winter rat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:12 pm
This act just seems like something done by someone whom is homeless and/or squatter.
I would never do that, unless my life was at some sort of risk.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:30 pm
More power to those who do, but I don't think I could.

Propaganda Americana

Hatheos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:32 am
capn crunk
Astaru

Or you could eat bugs! They have a nutritious supply of protein. : ) hahah
I'll pass on eating bugs. Meat from fish has a much higher protein content. As for foraging in the woods, I knw all the edible plants in my local area. The forest also has an abundance of wild game for food, however, it is important not to waste any of the meat. I have native in my bloodline, so I believe it is important to take their ethic into consideration and use whatever you can from an animal you kill.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:22 pm
I respect people who can do that, but that's a little to much for me.  

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:56 am
capn crunk
PiercedPixie2

That kinda sounds like the life of a homeless person to me... But I'm not saying it's a bad one. In fact that sounds very resourceful. I don't think I could ever do that though, unless the situation demanded it.

The stuff people throw out...Some of it is totally fine.
Cans unopened, fruit or veg that hasnt gone bad, meat which is umopened and can be cooked...All these things people toss out, when there are kids starving all over the world that would kill for that fine food.

I really thought you people would be into this idea more.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 pm
I wouldn't ever eat the stuff people throw away, even if it is canned or fresh. But, I would help people get it. Just wouldn't eat it unless it is cooked very well, well enough to get the germs and bacteria off. Then, I might eat it.  

Itachi-Uchiha-Sama00

1,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

HippieKrowly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 pm
id still try it if it was fresh from like a store like the smart ones do not the trash ha if i had to that is.  
The Gaian Hippie Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff