Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Subscription Fees: Coming to a Wii Near You?(First post edit Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:05 am
As some of you know, and some may be shitting their pants over, Japan will see the release of Monster Hunter: Tri in about 3 weeks time.

The game features a vast open world and includes the series's famous online cooperative play, and comes with a free 15 day subscription! Yes, that's right, in order to access the co-op servers you require a special ticket which can be purchased for 800(1 month) 1500(2 months) or 2000(3 months) Wii points. This makes Monster hunter: Tri the Wii's first Pay to play subscription service.

While fans of monster hunter may be willing to shell out this kind of dough on a monthly basis, (and at arguably a better price than most MMOs) The question is: if this game comes to the US, using the same pay to play service, could it's success mean a new trend of Pay-to-play wi-fi enabled games?

As a person who has no source of income, other than hoarding that which I am granted by generous relatives, I would find this trend a bit disturbing. I mean, I have no job experience, and I'm not working food service! gonk NEVER!!! scream

Online services include:
• Co-op
• Guest Houses
• Other things I'm sure only MH fans care about.
Edit:
Now, when I complain about subscription fees, it's about more than the money. I understand that quality service costs money, and that in the real world, people use some sort of barter system with it(Okay, I'm not really an expert on it, but apparently... this is how I get my food surprised ) What subscription fees really mean is that a game is made which is only interesting enough to keep players paying, Causing gameplay similar to WoW and other MMOs' grinding, which makes for really shitty/chore-like gamplay.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:10 am
******** like the Wii because of its free Wi-fi, even though it's not the best. D:  

otawara

Vaettur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am
That's just ridiculous D: .

Not gonna pay. I hate the Wii Point system.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:12 am
Well, the online is provided by Capcom for this game. It's be the same network which provides the freedom games online service, and apparently that's pretty good.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 am
Vaettur

How else do we pay the developers of downloadable games?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:17 am
[Kegan]
Vaettur

Not. I'm just saying that i hate it.

And wow.. 2000 points for just 3 months? For only one game? That's just silly.  

Vaettur

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 am
Vaettur
[Kegan]
Vaettur

Not. I'm just saying that i hate it.

And wow.. 2000 points for just 3 months? For only one game? That's just silly.
Most games are more than 10 dollars a month, you're paying less than 2/3 of that in wii points if you buy 3 months.

It's about more than me not wanting to get a job, and I've clarified that in the edit.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 am
I'll pay to own a game, but not to play it online.  

Thanatoast Crunch

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 am
It's basically like seeing a movie every month, but better.

If the game is not entertaining(see: Standard formula MMORPG) I'll complain just like if it was a shitty movie.

Most games are more expensive that that even.

FFXI was work, and tedious work. I hate grinding, and I won't pay to do it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Guild wars was a one time payment MMO, and theres some grinding, and it may not be the best, but its a one time payment each expansion, and each expansion is a new chapter in the story line, which i havn't even finished the only one i currently have!

lets hope this doesn't start a trend.  

Xilo The Odd

ravemast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 am
I'd hate to pay, but if it brings out better features and qualities in a game that I think is worth it, then I'll pay.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 pm
Never played Monster Hunter but I hope this is the only game that you'll have to Pay to Play  

0Toon-Link0

Owwin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:19 pm
Monster Hunter will still be an amazing game. You don't have to pay for the online either. You can play it offline and it is still a great game. So don't let this turn you away.

This will beat the s**t out of Friend Codes won't it? Aren't you willing to pay a little more so we don't get Brawl's online again?

I look at other online game services and find 20 dollars for three months very reasonable. While I hate the idea of paying Capcom, I am powerless against the monster hunting goodness. It is a real time online adventure game that gives you weekly downloadable missions and new content. A real time online game that isn't a sports, motorsports or shooting game, that sounds pretty good to me.

Also don't wave MMO's at me for real time adventure. How good you are in that depends on leveling and time, not skill. I can go in naked on monster hunter and kill something if I know the hitboxes and get good enough to dodge them. A direct hit to the skull from my hammer won't be recorded as a miss either. Anything that does that is not real time.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:19 pm
If the game was free-to-go-online, I'm sure they would reach a LOT of players.

Only for that Pay-To-Play, some people will not buy the game.  

The Rawk Hawk

Fashionable Nerd

6,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200

Owwin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:21 pm
The Rawk Hawk
If the game was free-to-go-online, I'm sure they would reach a LOT of players.

Only for that Pay-To-Play, some people will not buy the game.
It is a great game to play offline too though. You only have to pay for online if you want it, and Monster Hunter is more than worth it. The combat destroys Zelda's combat.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff