Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
What happens when the captain fades away?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So?
  Someone else inherits the guild.
  Add a bunch of crew members to run it.
  Nothing!
  Get someone else to start a similar guild and join theirs.
  Other? (Please specify)
View Results

shall she sail seas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:38 pm
What happens if YOU'RE the captain? eek

I'm debating on whether or not to quit Gaia simply because this year is a lot busier for me and it looks highly probable that this busy schedule will carry on after sailing season is over. I don't think I can take up the responsibility of caring for my watersports/navy guild on a regular basis. At the same time, giving someone else VC power seems a bit sketchy for fear that they might change the guild theme to something else, especially since there is currently no other GENERAL watersports guild in existence.

I guess if I quit, it's not going to be a full on "quit" where I completely stop coming here. I'd probably still check in on everyone once a month or so.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:47 am
There's really not a lot of choices you're left with. You either name a VC and transfer ownership for the time being or you sell the guild. There are really no other options you're left with.....  

Facelesskiller

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:37 am
Well, if you quit the responsibility then you've also sort of quit your voice in the guild. If someone changes it after, there's not much you can do... Unless you can find someone you really trust. I would give it up though, just because there are so many wasted guilds out there already.

However, if that does happen and you do come back to gaia, you can always start a new guild and try and get some of the old members back. 20k really isn't that much now...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:46 pm
I'd step down as a leader and ask if anyone would be willing to step up in my place. And then I would have all the members vote for who they think deserves the position.

Sometimes it's the best solution and you have to let it be. Or if you have someone trustworthy enough you can ask them, but sometimes those kind of people are hard to come by.  

usaginano

Fluffy Bunny

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am
I would just find a VC I really trusted.

Since the guild improvements too, they can't over step you and make themselves Captain of the guild.
If you can just check in every once in a while if you can make it on, make sure things are still the same and if not then a butt whooping will ensue.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm
For now, Vice Captains can take possession of the guild- or you can promote another member to vc and give that person the guild.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:18 pm
If you're checking in a bit, tell the guild that you want it to stay the same and appoint a Vice-Captain to look after it for you. That's what I would do.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:57 pm
Make the transition slowly, and you must have some distinguished member of the guild who loves it for what it is, is loved by the members and is an invaluable crew member. Make them VC in honor of their service and see what happens. Make sure to do this while you are still active, then slowly let yourself fade.

To make it more flawless you could have a mule in the captain spot (with or without sharing that account with the VC) and have you and the other as co-captains.

I think guilds die when the captain does, even with a similarly dedicated VC. So a mule and co-captains might work better.  

LillianSaire

Tantooden

Sweet Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 pm
I do not see any problem now that the VC can't take over your guild, but as others said, choose someone you really trust.
Now what I'm about to say probably would sounds a bit difficult viewing your lack of time but helps a bit to take a good decision.
POST a very difficult test to choose the proper VC
THEN SEE what your members would like to see on their VC and as other said put them to choose who they like as one.
ASSIGN HIM/HER tasks to fulfill on certain time including the trust hidden test.
But anyway, if you find this a bit difficult there is not need to have a VC you can leave the task to the crew members and visit them every-time you can after certain time if you decide to leave then you can choose a VC from the Crew members using the members vote option.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 am
User Image

If you aren't quitting completely, I see no reason to hive a VC. As long as you have a good team of crew members, you should be fine.

>> ♥ << Visit my art gallery! >> ♥ <<

Ezra-tan

Facelesskiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:09 am
Ezra-tan
User Image

If you aren't quitting completely, I see no reason to hive a VC. As long as you have a good team of crew members, you should be fine.

Only issue with that is a VC at least is required. There are numerous limitation to a Crew member.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm
Faceless Killa
Ezra-tan

Only issue with that is a VC at least is required. There are numerous limitation to a Crew member.
User Image

No, not really. If your guild is run correctly, it isn't really needed, especially if the captain is checking in every once in a while. I moderate a guild with well over 5,000 members that gets thousands of posts every day, and the guild captain is unable to be at his computer for months at a time. We have no vice captain, other than a mule owned by the captain, and 3 active moderators, and the guild gets by very smoothly. As long as you have a good crew and a guild that is not under construction, you're perfectly fine.

Ezra-tan

Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces