Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Cassie Bernall "She Said Yes"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like this topic?
  Yes
  No
  Indifferent
View Results

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:05 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ahhh Cassie Bernall, the infamous "martyr" for Christianity who died on April 20th, 1999 in the Columbine High School Massacre. This book, in my opinion, is one of the greatest reflections on Christianity. This shows just how easily Christians are willing to take a story and run with it despite all the hard evidence saying it is completely false. Now, I know this isn't just a quality of Christians, however you can't help but spot the irony in their faith in the bible and their faith in this story. For those of you who didn't know, yes, this story is completely false.

Also, the fact her mother wrote this book and continues to sell and profit off of the myth of her daughter rather than tell the true story is just disgusting.

Now for a few sources...

Here is the article salon.com wrote on the topic.

Here is a video of the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC. In the video Rachel discusses with Dave Cullen (the author of Columbine) the myths of Columbine, including this one.

Discuss  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:43 pm
It made me sick how Youths were being converted with this story. I was thinking to myself that its horrible that Christianity was once again drawing people in with a death story, Jesus being the example I am comparing this to.  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

adolfchrist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:32 pm
Didn't the people behind the shootings do it because they were Nazis?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:53 pm
adolfchrist
Didn't the people behind the shootings do it because they were Nazis?

Sorry in advance if I this was meant to be a joke.

No, they weren't Nazis. There are lots of things that supposedly played a role in why they did it but generally it was just two people who were a little off in the head who were friends and decided to kill a bunch of people.  

0UjgJBt3ONkG

adolfchrist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:57 am
Well, anyway, they never actually asker her if she believed in god or not. (As verified by witnesses) They may have asked someone else before they killed them. So the book is based on a lie.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 am
Well, I think I read in the actual event that sombody was questioned if they believe in god and wasnt killed. (Shot but didnt die)

But the question was not to find reason to kill them, but to kinda put the fear of death in them.. At least thats what I took from it.  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:24 pm
IVIalice
Well, I think I read in the actual event that sombody was questioned if they believe in god and wasnt killed. (Shot but didnt die)

But the question was not to find reason to kill them, but to kinda put the fear of death in them.. At least thats what I took from it.

Yes, Valeen Schurr was the girl asked and they didn't kill her.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:02 pm
Secular Swarm
IVIalice

Yes, Valeen Schurr was the girl asked and they didn't kill her.

I wonder how the media would have spun it if one of the shooters asked someone, that person said no, and then wasn't harmed at all?

Prolly something like:

"Killer Atheists Murder Believers!"

But if they had asked and only killed those that said they didn't believe:

"God saves believers!" where it should read "Religious Fanatics go on killing rampage!"

*Sigh.* I hate the media sometimes. stare

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 pm

This is news to me... first I've heard that the story was false. It's disgusting that they're using this poor murdered girl's memory like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer

This is news to me... first I've heard that the story was false. It's disgusting that they're using this poor murdered girl's memory like this.

Yeah lots of people don't know it is false because its so widely believed, it wasn't until I saw the "10th Anniversary of Columbine" Rachel Maddow Show special I linked that I found out.

I mean in all fairness, its a great story for Christians so its not surprising it took root, but it is a little messed up the mom continued to profiteer off of the myth of her daughter. I mean when the only eye-witnesses and the audio recording all say its false... you shouldn't believe the one person because he "thought he heard her voice" yet people still insist its true.

I've tried emailing web administrators who promote the myth, yet that always turns out badly, and I either get shunned or screamed at that I'm going to hell.  

0UjgJBt3ONkG

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:15 pm
Well, most of us already know that the religious tend to stay willfully ignorant.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 pm
IVIalice
Well, most of us already know that the religious tend to stay willfully ignorant.

True, doesn't mean you can't appreciate the irony in the success of the book.  

0UjgJBt3ONkG

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff